PDA

View Full Version : Magic bullet lube.....

2 dogs
10-28-2007, 12:16 AM
I got this mysterious mixture in the mail from my pal Lloyd Smale. He refuses to tell me what all is in it, but it is the most excellent bullet lube. I have shot it in all calibers and my bores look like I just cleaned them. I lubed a bunch of bullets and let them sit all summer (I live in S. Texas and it is HOT here) in the garage in open bins and the bullets are still perfect......

My thanks to my pal Lloyd Smale, he is a mad scientist when it comes to lube....:drinks:

dubber123
10-28-2007, 03:55 AM
"Mad scientist"? Well, you're half right anyways!

jawjaboy
10-28-2007, 06:18 AM
It's prolly possum fat enriched.

PatMarlin
10-28-2007, 11:04 PM
Come on Lloyd... spill the beans.. :mrgreen:

454PB
10-29-2007, 12:45 AM
Since Lloyd is a lineman, I'd guess it's Fargoleen.

Jim
10-29-2007, 06:35 AM
Lloyd, are you going to share?

Lloyd Smale
10-29-2007, 07:00 AM
2 dogs is way to complimentary. Its a good lube but i dont believe its any bettter or worse then alot of others and is kind of a pain to make. What i do is mix a batch of felix. Enough to fill a 3 lb coffee can about 3/4s full. When i make the felix i relpace about 1/4 of the beeswax with alox. (same kind you make 5050 out of not the tumble lube type) Then i add about a half a cup of corduba wax and 4 oz of jojoba oil and enough hard lube (to firm it up because i store alot of bullets in the barn where temps go from -20 to +100) When all the ingrediants are in it i keep it melted and stir occasionaly for about an hour. A guy probably wouldnt have to to that if he mixed the jojoba oil in with the mineral and castor oil when cooking them but ive just never got around to trying it like that. To be honest i dont know that it works any bettter then straight felix or my other hybrid which is easier to make which is just 5050 alox with 4 oz of jojoba oil mixed in simualar quanitys with hard lube to firm it up. Lars cordoba red works to harden it too and is much cheaper then magma but takes a little more to get the hardness. I guess i figured that when hardening lube it made no sense to add paraphin wax to do it. If i was going to add something i might as well be a lube even though the hard lubes like magma arent much of a lube. It was my same thought when i decided to replace some of the beeswax with allox in the felix lube. Does the corduba wax or the jajoba oil help? I dont know. I know its kind of a pain to make and bottom line is that lars corduba red and his corduba red hybrid with alllox both work and for the price he sells it if i didnt have a pile of beeswax allready i probably wouldnt bother.

Lloyd Smale
10-29-2007, 07:05 AM
ps i dont consider myself in any way a lube maker just a lube tinkerer. Felix is the mastermind behind the base to this lube and as we all know here it works. Lars is another one that i really respect when it comes to lubes. take your advice from them guys not this country bumkin!!

buck1
10-29-2007, 08:49 PM
And put ya on the sopt to!! LOL
Llyod
I wont have a chance to look for the 50/50 antimont lead untill this weekend but I should have a little floating around somewhere here or there....Buck

Lloyd Smale
10-30-2007, 05:39 AM
sounds good buck dont put yourself to any inconvience for me pal.

Bass Ackward
10-30-2007, 06:59 AM
What i do is mix a batch of felix. Enough to fill a 3 lb coffee can about 3/4s full. When i make the felix i relpace about 1/4 of the beeswax with alox. (same kind you make 5050 out of not the tumble lube type) Then i add about a half a cup of corduba wax and 4 oz of jojoba oil and enough hard lube (to firm it up because i store alot of bullets in the barn where temps go from -20 to +100)

Lloyd,

Holly cow. 10 cent lino bullet with .50 cent worth of lube. Might as well shoot jackets. Trying to kill a leadin problem were we? :grin:

You better quit storing those bullets in the barn and get you a safety deposit box at the bank!!!

Lloyd Smale
10-30-2007, 11:37 AM
nope never really have had a leading problem. More then anything just like playing. The lube doesnt cost me much at all. Other then the cost of mineral oil castor oil and the big lifetime tub of lanolin i bought on ebay. The 100lbs or so of beeswax ive accumlated ive for the most part got for free. I had a guy give me about 50 sticks of magma blue once and thats what i use to harden it. I bought the alox but paid very little over the shipping cost for it. We get pure corduba wax at work and the first bottle of jojba oil was given to me too. Im sure its well under a buck a stick for me to make it. Like i said if it wernt for the fact i was given this most of this stuff and have so much to use up id be buying lars lube cause even the labor alone to make it hardly justifys the bother at the price he sells it.