PDA

View Full Version : commercial 30 cal cast with gas checks

opos
09-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Don't know if I'm in the right spot or not..I have a couple of Milsurp rifles..a 30-06 1917, an 8mm Mauser and the ever present Mosin 7.62x54r. I've been loading j words and have been reading about the load using about 16 grains of 2400 as a "universal" starting point for cast lead projectiles in these 3 cartridges as well as other bottle neck rifle loadings...I don't cast and have had experience with several commercial casters with my hand gun loading...but never with a rifle to this point...

The folks I've been buying from don't offer a gas check commercial 30 cal boolit so am looking for any suggestions of who might be a supplier? From what I read a gas check with the "16 grain" load is pretty much required even with hardness up around 18 or so...Just looking for the experienced folks to give me a little direction...many thanks
opos

curator
09-20-2013, 11:28 PM
Beartooth bullets may have what you are looking for. Pick a diameter at least .002 over groove diameter. http://beartoothbullets.com/
Older. worn barrels (throats) may require even larger cast bullets to shoot accurately without leading. Keep your velocities under 1800fps until you learn how to push the envelope successfully.

Wayne S
09-21-2013, 12:52 AM
Take your calipers or "mike" to a store that sells fishing equip. and buy several "egg" style sinkers probably close to .310, .312 and .325, .327 to use to slug the throats of your rifles. That will give you a good start on ordering the correct Dia. bullets.
As to commercial casters, just "search" or you might see what a WTB add in the classifieds will get you. If you slug the throats then you and specify what size you want.

opos
09-21-2013, 01:01 AM
Take your calipers or "mike" to a store that sells fishing equip. and buy several "egg" style sinkers probably close to .310, .312 and .325, .327 to use to slug the throats of your rifles. That will give you a good start on ordering the correct Dia. bullets.
As to commercial casters, just "search" or you might see what a WTB add in the classifieds will get you. If you slug the throats then you and specify what size you want.

Thanks...I should have indicated I've slugged the barrels and would work to sizes a couple of thousanths over the sluggings...Got really lucky on 2 Mosins in that they are both .312 and nice and even with each other...the 06 is like a new one at .309 and the 8mm was rebarreled and looks to be .323 or just a shade fatter than that...Got to watch the new sinkers...lots of them have lots of zinc and are really hard...my Son is a dedicated fisherman so I picked through his older stash of sliding sinkers and got some nice pure lead ones that worked really well...I also have a 1/4" brass rod that I've cut into 6" pieces so no messing with wood dowels...had one nasty experinece with an old Mosin a while back...got everything all jammed up....never again.

Thanks

Wayne S
09-21-2013, 01:05 AM
Try Lead Heads http://www.proshootpro.com/ I saw one GC .30 Cal. that they will size up to .312.

HARRYMPOPE
09-21-2013, 01:10 AM
I know they are not GC,but commercial cast .312 115 SWC 32-20 bullets from western and lazercast have shot well in my 7.62 x 54 with 5-6g of Bullseye.Up to 100 yards they do fine.

Blammer
09-22-2013, 09:23 AM
Carolina Cast Bullets may have something you would like.

I think he's a sponsor here.

Outpost75
09-22-2013, 11:23 AM
I know they are not GC,but commercial cast .312 115 SWC 32-20 bullets from western and lazercast have shot well in my 7.62 x 54 with 5-6g of Bullseye.Up to 100 yards they do fine.

+1 on the Lasercast .32-20 bullets with 5 grains of Bullseye or WST!

Also good for small game and indoor gallery are the 98-grain Hornady SWCs or 98-grain CBC LRN bullets in .314" diameter for the .32 S&W Long with 4 grains of Bullseye or WST. Be advised you absolutely must tumble them in Lee Liquid Alox first, because the Hornady or CBC pistol lube will not last to the end of a long rifle barrel and they will otherwise lead. Keep them subsonic, if they CRACK~! you are driving them too fast.

If you have a tight barrel, the .312 Lastercast or Hunters supply will be very accurate with 5-6 grains of Bullseye. I overcoat the bullets all over with Lee Liquid Alox on top of the hard lube which comes on them, because the commercial lubes do not flow well to coat the rifle barrel in light loads, and by the time you get to a velocity where the commercial hardball alloy upsets to seal and the lube works, you are on the ragged edge of whether a plainbased bullet will work in the rifle.

jmort
09-22-2013, 11:47 AM
+1 on Beartooth

imashooter2
09-22-2013, 12:04 PM
The problem with commercial gas checked boolits is that they cost as much as jacketed. :(

For the economics to work, you pretty much have to roll your own.

GabbyM
09-22-2013, 12:17 PM
I’ll say they have to cost that much. Since there is no automated machine to seat gas checks.
For many old military rifles with oversize bores an oversized cast bullet will be the most accurate. Then there is simply the benefit of reduced bore wear on a classic gun. Even if you pay dollar for dollar per bullet compared to J bullets. You save money on your bore wear.