PDA

View Full Version : Gas checks below the neck

turmech
09-20-2013, 10:12 PM
I know it is best to have the bullet seated so the gas checks are in the neck of a case. I have loaded some (limited times) where they are below the neck in the past and read post of other doing it as well.

I have worked up a load for my 300 blackout with a bullets designed for a 30-30. To get it to feed the checks are just below the neck to where the shoulder starts. The charge is H110 which is not compressed but nearly 100% charge capacity. The check are Hornady and are on tight in my opinion.

Just curious about how the community feels about checks below the neck? And does the full case of powder help lessen the chances of damage from a check falling off?

badbob454
09-20-2013, 10:40 PM
in my thinking yes any pressure on the base would help,, i think if you cant finger it off, it wont fall off ,,

Jupiter7
09-20-2013, 10:43 PM
I've done the exact same in 300blk with 311-165RD. But as said, the checks were on tight. I've actually found that loading them longer helped with feeding.

Larry Gibson
09-21-2013, 01:05 PM
The GCs falling off isn't the only problem. Inaccuracy can easily result from gas cutting and riveting of the base that sticks into the case. Leading can also become a problem. Many seat cast with the GCs below the neck w/o apparent problems and get acceptable accuracy as it depends, like many things we do with cast, on a lot of variable. Picture from NRA pub shows the adverse affect seating below the neck can have; note bullet on the right.

Larry Gibson

graphic914
09-21-2013, 06:45 PM
i reload my Swiss k31' very short throat, the gas check sits past the neck. I make sure the GC are tight and they shoot great

grampa243
09-21-2013, 09:53 PM
i have to seat below the neck in my .223 wylde chamber. with the boolit that i am using. i tried seating it just at the shoulder but had set-back when chambered. the checks i use are very tight i would be very surprised if they came off.