PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a newbie

CHeatermk3
09-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Hello all
I've visited here a few times and like what I see so I registered so I could post

I've been casting my own for a few months now, and I bought a Lee mould for minies to shoot in my rifled slug barreled shotgun using sabots. The nominal as-cast diameter is .575 but my first attempt using wheel weights came out .579-.580 which is a bit too fat for the sabots I want to use(Ed Hubel's). They'll go into the hull but the resulting shell is real tight fit in my gun's chamber.

Would a different alloy produce a smaller casting or do I need to find a sizing die to squeeze them down? That hollow base could be trouble pushing the slug thru a die.

cpileri
09-21-2013, 09:33 AM
I asked the same question when using Hubel sabots w .578's. Ajay told me that tight bore fit was ok and in fact desired w rifles barrels. I shot them and they work fine.
C-

CHeatermk3
09-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the reply but the problem is that the loaded shells require a LOT of effort to go far enuff into the chamber for the action to close.

They definately won't work in my 835.

Sweetpea
09-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Try it with lead that is closer to pure.

It should make a couple of thousands difference, and what you're shooting probably won't know the difference.

Brandon

CHeatermk3
09-21-2013, 06:02 PM
I just cast some using pure lead--they came out right at .575.
They still make a slight bulge in the hull but they'll chamber OK in my 835.

Now to get out and see how they shoot.

Thanks for the tip.