PDA

View Full Version : New Zinc COWW - ALERT

40-82 hiker
09-20-2013, 04:37 PM
I might be the last one to know about this, but I'm throwing caution to the wind here.

I was going through some COWWs I mined the other day (second sorting - but that is when I cut all weights), and found two weights I could have easily confused for lead, since they are so very similar to their lead counterparts. I think I've seen a number of hundred pounds of these in their lead variety, but I have NEVER seen the zinc ones before.

The zinc ones in discussion are the two on the right. The far left is zinc, but a common one. Just threw it into the photo...
I guess the "Z" after the "MC" is the key here? The two in the middle are the regular lead variety.

If I did not cut each weight these days, I would have missed these two. First I have ever seen. From the land of Oz to the west? But don't smelt over 675 anyway.

Thanks,
Bob

Defcon-One
09-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Yep, the one on the left is the most common here.

The ones on the right are marked "Z" and are obviously Zinc. There are also some out there like the ones on the right that are unpainted. Some are much larger than those that you are showing.

Not good to get any of these in your mix but they do float and they melt at a much higher temperature than Lead does.

cstrickland
09-20-2013, 09:43 PM
I am just starting and only have a few pounds of COWW, and have checked them with side cutters and a small file to make sure they were lead. I seen some marked ZN in the barrel I hand sorted out of, and tossed them back . How do the zinc ones feel with side cutters, is it like steel ?? I know if sorta grinds with a file sorta like steel

el34
09-20-2013, 10:06 PM
Zincs are maybe a skosh softer than steel but not much. If you squeeze pretty hard with side cutters you can leave a little mark but lead is MUCH softer and you'll leave a deep ding with the cutters. The first time you find a zinc, keep it as a future reminder.

They're a little lighter too but it takes a while before you can detect them by feel.

merlin101
09-20-2013, 10:36 PM
[QUOTE=cstrickland;2397465 I seen some marked ZN in the barrel I hand sorted out of, and tossed them back . [/QUOTE]

Don't let Shadygrady know that! He wants all the zinc he can get and will trade 1 for 1 for lead.

mikeym1a
09-20-2013, 11:26 PM
As long as you keep the temps under 700, you are okay, the zincers will just float to the top. Zinc melts at about 775F. I occasionally miss one when sorting, but, since I keep the temps down, I'm able to retrieve them, and save them for Grady. I occasionally find some like the one on the left, but many are a lead alloy. I can only tell the difference if they float to the top. Happy Melting!!!!

Slow Elk 45/70
09-21-2013, 03:58 AM
+1 on the demise of lead wheel weights...finding more zinc than lead. Our Govt at it's best.......

cstrickland
09-21-2013, 07:55 AM
Zincs are maybe a skosh softer than steel but not much. If you squeeze pretty hard with side cutters you can leave a little mark but lead is MUCH softer and you'll leave a deep ding with the cutters. The first time you find a zinc, keep it as a future reminder.

They're a little lighter too but it takes a while before you can detect them by feel.

Thats what I thought. I went to a local scrap yard and they let me hand sort them. I knew 100% some were lead and threw back any I had a question on. The barrel was a good mix of zinc, steel and lead. After I got home and started to sort i realized I should have take at least one zinc for reference. Ahh hind site

cstrickland
09-21-2013, 07:59 AM
Don't let Shadygrady know that! He wants all the zinc he can get and will trade 1 for 1 for lead.

Yeah I have seen his want to buy ad,s. I think its a great deal but I would have to buy a lot more than I do to make i. Worth his while. Right now I am just starting and have only bought small amounts

Thanks for the heads up though.

cstrickland
09-21-2013, 08:01 AM
As long as you keep the temps under 700, you are okay, the zincers will just float to the top. Zinc melts at about 775F. I occasionally miss one when sorting, but, since I keep the temps down, I'm able to retrieve them, and save them for Grady. I occasionally find some like the one on the left, but many are a lead alloy. I can only tell the difference if they float to the top. Happy Melting!!!!

Thanks I did read that some where. I will keep it in mind as i am soon going to be doing my first batch of COWW,s. Up until know I just bought clean lead

Arctic Blues
09-26-2013, 08:29 PM
Where do I find this Shady Grady?
I gotta mess of zink I'd like to trade!

cstrickland
09-26-2013, 09:11 PM
I gotta mess of zink I'd like to trade!

look in the swap and sell forum. he is has a WTT usually in the first few pages

el34
09-26-2013, 09:53 PM