PDA

View Full Version : Lead shot for casting bullets?

flintlock62
09-20-2013, 01:42 PM
I haven't cast any boolits in a coon's age. I also used to reload for shooting skeet. I have around 25 lbs. of lead shot, and wonder how well it works for boolits?

baker1425
09-20-2013, 02:16 PM
Here's a good starting link. http://www.lasc.us/castbulletalloy.htm

If it's magnum shot, it's got 4%-6% antimony. There's a recipe to turn it into a usable alloy. You might be better off trading with someone in the swap section for wheelweight ingots.

Hardcast416taylor
09-20-2013, 02:32 PM
Been kinda wondering about using shot for alloy myself. The local salvage dealer has over half of a 55 gal. drum of shot. It is various sizes so I would just be scooping out whatever is on top. He wants .80 cents/lb. for it. I`ll probably go get about 30 or so lbs. and try it. Thanks for the LASC link.Robert

groovy mike
09-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Please do not melt your shot! I will happily send you more lead in ignots than you have in shot! PM me and we can work out the details. I'd be happy to swap even cast bullets for shot since I don't have a shot maker!

flintlock62
09-20-2013, 05:22 PM
I can't verify the weight, but it's at least 20 lbs, #6 shot. PM me and we can work a deal.

Please do not melt your shot! I will happily send you more lead in ignots than you have in shot! PM me and we can work out the details. I'd be happy to swap even cast bullets for shot since I don't have a shot maker!

WILCO
09-21-2013, 01:31 PM
I haven't cast any boolits in a coon's age. I also used to reload for shooting skeet. I have around 25 lbs. of lead shot, and wonder how well it works for boolits?

I'd save the shot. Much too valuable in it's current form.

merlin101
09-21-2013, 02:46 PM
I'd save the shot and trade it off or just hang on to it for a rainy day.

jmort
09-21-2013, 03:10 PM
At $2.00 a pound delivered, magnum shot is a good deal and a good bullet alloy to add some tin at the same price, or less than Lyman # 2 or Hardball from a foundry. It is cleaner than COWW and usually has some arsenic to boot. Not sure how it is "too valuable." Reclaimed shot is even cheaper, much less.