PDA

View Full Version : about to kick a lid off

fenris
10-27-2007, 09:10 PM
Hi all thought I would let those who wish to know. am having problem with H&r 45/70 carbine trapdoor keeps kicking open. Well called the H&R com which is now owned by marlin firearms requesting help. was told that """ we do not repair or work on that Particular gun it is from the old com. that filed bankruptcy"" Can not send them an e-mail for they have no such thing. Now you would think a co. that big would but no no no. So I shall send them a typed letter and see what transpires. I don't want a new gun I just want the one i have to work without trying to throw the brass between my eyes and out the back of my head. What I can not truly understand is why the original H&R co. or none of the Co's. that bought H&R didn't recall them and fix them it is a safety issue to me. And would have been just plan decent to notify the general public of the problem and attempt to fix. You can bet your boot straps that I will not be on their good side after this. ah but such is life and us old timers who love our big boars and black powder are a lot to contend with .

I have received a lot of info from many of you in here and i wish to than you all. going deer hunting with my Creed 45/70 a little heavy to pack but. once i pull the trigger I don't have to walk far to fine the game usually about ten feet is all. To old for all that walking and hunt for downed game. [smilie=1:

montana_charlie
10-27-2007, 10:41 PM
There are apparently a few different ways to repair that H&R. One way is to ditch the setscrew that holds your cam latch in position, and replace it with a screw all the way through the shaft.

That procedure is described here http://www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/trapdoor/trapdoor.pl?noframes;read=4123

For another option, I lifted this from http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=13102.msg169942 .

I have had a couple of the H&Rs a rifle and a carbine. The rifle I had no trouble with. The carbine was unfired when I got it. After a few hundred rounds it began to pop open. I purchased parts from Pedersoli because it was my understanding they bought H&Rs tooling for the Trapdoor. The Pedersoli Thumblatch and cam were different then the H&R. i had to do quite a bit of fitting and machined a small bushing, but got them to fit and have fired over 500 rounds thru it with no trouble. The H&R had a round shaft that the locking cam slid on and was held with a set screw, the Pedersoli had a square shaft that the cam went on. According to Drydock i could have replaced the entire breechblock Pedersoli for H&R, but i had already corrected the problem.

If all else fails, you could consult a good gunsmith...
CM

Buckshot
10-28-2007, 03:22 AM
..............I've had the Little Bighorn commemorative carbine for maybe 10-12 years now. One of my favorite rfles. It's very accurate. I've never had a moments trouble with it. They've been mentioned here a couple time before with the problem you mention. That's too bad. I hope mine doesn't start doing it.

http://www.fototime.com/6FB1E451F888E31/standard.jpg

............Buckshot

Bear Claw
10-28-2007, 07:59 PM
Would D G W have the parts to fix it? Just a thought:drinks:

fenris
10-29-2007, 02:03 AM
Hi fellows Ya know how to get it fixed going to have it done after hunting season. Still going to write them and inquire as to why no one on their end has even tried to fix the problem. they created. I like the LBH it is my type rifle. Short enough to carry and big enough to take down anything I will be hunting. Just wanted you all to know what i was about to do. May not get anywhere with writing them but sure will get someones attn: when I start pointing a finger LOL. I have several other rifles i love to hunt and just shoot a Creed by Pedri. an 8 mm from Germany. and a spring 06. but like is said like the big bores they have a habit of putting the game down where on the spot. But thanks all for all the help and take care good shooting

Kraschenbirn
10-30-2007, 09:48 PM
Shortly after I got my H&R Trapdoor Carbine (the plain-jane "Cavalry Model"), someone on this forum warned my about this potential problem. Even though I hadn't had any "pop-opens", I checked mine and found the setscrew wasn't firmly tightened. As a fix, I removed the setscrew, dimpled the shaft using a carbide drill bit, and reinstalled the setscrew using red LocTite. Since then, I've fired 500-600 rounds of BP loads (55 gr FFG/400 gr RN) without any sign of loosening.

Bill

montana_charlie
10-31-2007, 09:26 PM
Ya know how to get it fixed going to have it done after hunting season.
That wasn't obvious in your opening post. We (at least I) thought you needed help finding a cure.

Still going to write them and inquire as to why no one on their end has even tried to fix the problem. they created.
It would seem that they already told you they didn't create the problem. The previous owners did.

It's also pretty clear that they feel no obligation to correct the errors of their predecessors...just like I feel no need to compensate anyone for being a descendent of slaves, even though my great-great grandaddy might have owned some.
(I don't know if he did or not...I just know he fought in the Confederate Army.)

Anyway, I hope you get your differences with Marlin worked out, in case you ever own something they DID have a hand in producing.
CM