PDA

View Full Version : Proper cloth for cast booliteers

nekshot
09-20-2013, 12:20 PM
I have always been a cotton and wool guy. Never liked polyester or other man made material except for gore tex in rain gear. A family friend who was(still is at 70) a guide and outfitter for 40plus years swears the new scent free clothes give off a peculiar scent when being used.(He sure has the stories to back that up). He is a wool and cotton guy. I noticed Bass Pro only lists man made fabric and Cabelas is almost all man made. Personally I feel better when my gun has cast boolits in it and my body has cotton or wool type clothing on it! May be I am eccentric!

jsheyn
09-20-2013, 12:25 PM
switched to all wool 15 or so years ago and never looked back....for fishing and hunting

fouronesix
09-20-2013, 12:37 PM
For dry weather- I'm pretty much a cotton type. For cold-wet weather it's tight knit, smooth nap, fairly light weight wool pants for me with poly long johns if really cold. Still prefer cotton shirt with breathable water resistant outer shell and/or layered if cold. Used to be able to get US surplus dress pants cheap that were perfect- have no idea about the availability lately.

Jupiter7
09-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Always wanted some deer "leathers", native American style. From my research, very labour intensive. But would be satisfying hunting deer while wearing the last deer I took.

Browningshooter
09-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Always wanted some deer "leathers", native American style. From my research, very labour intensive. But would be satisfying hunting deer while wearing the last deer I took.

I'm with you there! One day I'm gonna do it..
- Will

303Guy
09-20-2013, 09:01 PM
Leather sounds real good. I would like something like that too. One small problem though - it might make you look like a deer to another hunter!

Cotton is great stuff. It keeps the hot sun of your skin and breaths in the heat keeping one cool in the heat. Can be used in moderately cool weather too. More layers makes it good for cooler weather too.

Three-Fifty-Seven
09-20-2013, 09:11 PM
more ...

MT Gianni
09-20-2013, 11:04 PM
100 % cotton in a twill for summer and wool for winter. Cotton underclothes unless it is wet then a poly fabric next to the skin. Work has required non-flammable for years so old clothes get used for recreating as well.

303Guy
09-21-2013, 01:15 AM
I looked up linen. It's made from flax fibres - the same stuff that linseed oil comes from. I didn't know that modern clothing items are still made from it. It's the oldest fabric fibre with evidence of its use 36,000 rears ago! It's said to be very good for keeping one cool in the heat. Did you know that words like line, lingerie, lining, linoleum and of course the generic term linen all come from linen? Egyptian mummies were wrapped in it.

longbow
09-21-2013, 02:11 AM
Linen cloth is one of the strongest natural fibers.

Linen cloth was used for engineering drawings for many years. The cloth was soaked in wax then used as an overlay on pencil drawings for tracing using India ink. The original drawing was traced from paper using the waxed linen as "tracing paper" by a tracer using a stylus with India ink.

Linen also makes a wonderful bowstring!

Flaxseed oil is very good for you as a dietary supplement and is also used for other purposes like linoleum and as a carrier/sealer in oil based paint.

I have got to say though that wool is one of the best materials to keep a person warm when it is wet.

Longbow

mikeym1a
09-21-2013, 02:16 AM
My Mom was a seamstress, and loved the then new polyesters. She liked that they needed little to no ironing. I never liked polyester. I did not really like the dacron blends. If I get any now, It has to be at least 65%cotton. But, I prefer 100% cotton. Even my bed linens are 100% cotton, and I prefer at least 600 thread count. Feels nice against the skin. Used to be an upholsterer, and the best fabrics were the all cotton one, in my opinion.

nekshot
09-21-2013, 07:51 AM
In the 80's I picked up a super heavy Shetland turtle neck wool sweater. I carried that to where I was going to hunt and then pulled it on. Never got cold with that puppy. Sadly it wore out and I keep watching for an outlet for them but no dice.

44man
09-21-2013, 08:04 AM
I bought a warm jacket for cold weather archery from Cabellas long ago. They lined the sleeves with nylon and I can't move without deer hearing it.
Good for snow blowing though.

quilbilly
09-22-2013, 02:00 PM
Being here in the rainy NW I have taken a bit of a different view. In the summer or dry weather I like cotton but when the "monsoons" arrive, it is the modern fleeces and micro fibers for me. Most of those modern fibers are hydrophobic meaning they dry quickly and shed moisture. Getting soaked in our rains is inevitable even in a rubber or goretex suit but with the modern fibers, I don't feel that wet and am not weighed down as much even when it is raining 5+" per day as it does often in our late muzzleloader season.

Maineboy
09-22-2013, 07:33 PM
I'm pretty old fashioned. I spend most of my time still hunting and because they are so quiet, I wear Johnson wool pants, and an LL Bean wool hunting jacket as my deer hunting wardrobe for most of the season. When it's below freezing I have a heavier Johnson wool jacket to wear. I also wear Bean Maine Hunting Boots with the gor-tex thinsulate liner.

smokeywolf
09-22-2013, 07:55 PM
Got hooked on wool gabardine back when I wore a uniform.

smokeywolf

buckwheatpaul
09-22-2013, 07:56 PM
All cotton or wool.....the only way to go ..... except for gortex in rainwear!

gandydancer
09-22-2013, 08:14 PM
[QUOTE=303Guy;2397680]I looked up linen. It's made from flax fibres - the same stuff that linseed oil comes from. I didn't know that modern clothing items are still made from it. It's the oldest fabric fibre with evidence of its use 36,000 rears ago! It's said to be very good for keeping one cool in the heat. Did you know that words like line, lingerie, lining, linoleum and of course the generic term linen all come from linen? Egyptian mummies were wrapped in it.

What about Egyptian daddies? (i had to do it.sorry!)

JeffinNZ
09-23-2013, 05:22 PM
Depends on what I am doing.

Really physical I prefer polyprop as it is light and dries super fast.

Sitting round not doing a lot I like wool.

I have a good collection of both.

Idaho Mule
09-24-2013, 11:51 PM
Wool and cotton here, just layer up as needed. If you're in the rain forest like quillbilly, you need a good raincoat. JW

Lead Fred
09-24-2013, 11:56 PM
Always wanted some deer "leathers", native American style.

Been going to rondies for decades now. I learned in the first two years, when buck skins get wet they sponge the water and weight a ton.
Then fall apart.

I now use a sail canvas coat & pants that I had made in 94.

horsesoldier
09-25-2013, 12:00 AM
I really like wool when it gets cold. I have wool bibs and a parker that I use in the snow with gaiters

waksupi
09-25-2013, 02:31 AM
Been going to rondies for decades now. I learned in the first two years, when buck skins get wet they sponge the water and weight a ton.
Then fall apart.

I now use a sail canvas coat & pants that I had made in 94.

Try smoked brain tan. Last forever, and stay more or less warm when wet, like wool. They don't gain weight like commercial tan, or fall apart, either.

9.3X62AL
09-25-2013, 02:45 AM
Mostly 100% cotton or wool here, season-dependent. It doesn't rain where I live, but then again we've only been here for 5 years. We should be more patient about such things.

Wool uniform pants didn't please me a lot in 110*-125* temps, but the other option was polyester--and that ain't happening. The desert patrol deputies now have cotton blend trousers for summer use; I would have loved having that option. Like most other equipment decisions in military or LE venues, the dude having the most clout will have had the least exposure to and least knowledge of the concept.

mac266
10-04-2013, 10:19 AM

Hahaha...yeah, until another hunter saw the color of the skins through the trees and shot you! Orange is your friend!

As to materials of clothing, I also tend to stick to wool and cotton. I do, however, have a gore-tex jacket originally given to my by my formerly rich Uncle Sam.

Rick Hodges
10-06-2013, 07:49 AM
I hunt in Michigan where it is generally cold and damp for hunting. NO COTTON.....gets damp and you will freeze. Merino wool or poly next to the skin...fleece or mid weight wool shirts under an outer layer of Wool or water resistant material. I use less and less wool for an outer layer....it just gets too darn heavy when wet, and takes forever to dry out.