PDA

View Full Version : Powder Helpt

1750shooter
09-20-2013, 10:37 AM
I load for .357 mag. & .45 Colt, mostly w/Unique. Therein lies my problem, I've run out of Unique & can't find any more (3 hrs. on the web!). My local gunshop carries the Swedish Vuvowhatever powders. Can anyone recommend one that works as well as Unique in full-power & reduced loads? I've tried 4227, but in reduced loads it's really dirty. Thanks for any help!

RickinTN
09-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Not sure about the VV powders but Hodgdon Universal Clays is a very close match to Unique and many folks say it burns cleaner than Unique. I've tried some and had good results but haven't used enough to say hands down it's better than Unique. As a potential source for confusion Hodgdon markets 3 different powders with the "Clays" name.....Clays, Universal Clays, and International Clays. The Universal Clays is the close match to Unique.
Good Luck,
Rick

groovy mike
09-20-2013, 10:58 AM
I'd look for Red Dot or Bullseye.

felix
09-20-2013, 12:13 PM
VV powders are cleanest of the cleanest and very consistent from lot to lot of the same number. It appears to deal with the cellulose used found cheaply in Finland more than anything else. Just a thought because Alder trees grow like gang busters there, and are cooked into the best BP charcoal in the world. N320 is your RedDot for sure. N330 would be closer to Unique. ... felix

williamwaco
09-20-2013, 12:39 PM
see:

http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

Unique is no 31 on this chart.

Pick the powder as close to that as possible.

REMEMBER:

When you change powder, you will certainly need to change your charge weight and do start low and work up.

9.3X62AL
09-20-2013, 02:20 PM
VV powders are cleanest of the cleanest and very consistent from lot to lot of the same number. It appears to deal with the cellulose used found cheaply in Finland more than anything else. Just a thought because Alder trees grow like gang busters there, and are cooked into the best BP charcoal in the world. N320 is your RedDot for sure. N330 would be closer to Unique. ... felix

Thanks for this clarification, Felix. I have zero time in grade with the Vv powders, but have always been curious about their applications. I've heard also about their rep for clean combustion, but this hasn't been a big factor for me.

km101
09-20-2013, 04:06 PM
From what the reloading manuals and burn rate charts list, I would say that N330 is the closest thing to Unique.

I have shot very little N330, but I know that it is NOT a direct substitute for Unique. I would start with moderate loads and work up carefully, as with any new load. Good luck on your quest.

WALLNUTT
09-20-2013, 04:29 PM
I've been using Alliant 2028 as a substitute for Unique by weight NOT volume and it burns cleaner and meters better being a little denser. VV propellants are quite pricey.

1750shooter
09-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Thanks for all your help! My guy has Universal Clays as well as N330, so I'll try them both.

FloridaFlyBoy
09-29-2013, 08:40 PM
I am looking for equivalent loading data for Red Dot. Is there an equivalent? would like safe, reliable data, and am not into Wildcatting ( no offense intended. )

Thanks

rststeve
09-29-2013, 11:58 PM
You need herco this is all I use it is better than unique try it you will love it

MtGun44
09-30-2013, 12:48 AM
Biggest issue for me with VV powders is the extremely high cost. Because of that,
I have never tried them and likely never will.

Bill

rintinglen
09-30-2013, 07:03 PM
+1^^^ They run half again what Alliant or Hogdon powders do in my local. Cleanliness is overrated in smokeless powders as far as I am concerned. Just clean the darned gun.