PDA

View Full Version : Best Shepherd's pie

Zymurgy50
09-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Family was hungry for shepherds pie the other night, but we didn't have any burger in the freezer.

2# round steak
2-3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4t garlic powder
1/4t celery salt
2# frozen green beans
1 can cream of mushroom soup
mashed potatoes for topping I used 10 servings of instant, 16 would have been better

Slice the round steak into 1 1/2" wide strips, then slice the strips to 1/4" thick
a spot of oil in the cast iron skillet, add meat, garlic,Worcestershire sauce, and celery salt.
Cook over med/slow heat for 15-20 minutes. Wasn't trying to sear the meat, just cook it down to remove all but 1/4 cup of "drippins".
Mix the cooked meat with the 1/4c drippins, the frozen green beans, cream of mushroom soup, and put into 9X13 baking pan. Top with the mashed potatoes and bake at 375f for an hour or so, look for the potatoes to just slightly brown on top.
Normally we can get 2 meals for the family out of this size pan, but not this time. Got enough left-overs for me to eat lunch today.....

EMC45
09-20-2013, 12:21 PM
The wife makes it for me and the kids and we destroy it. With ground beef though.

Dale in Louisiana
09-20-2013, 01:30 PM
What? No shepherd?

I was hoping to trade you a recipe for shih-tzu on the half-shell or poodle pot pie.

dale in Louisiana
(Who had a very interesting tour in Korea)

gbrown
09-20-2013, 03:14 PM
I like to use cubed beef or venison in mine, like beef tips and rice or beef tips and flat egg noodles. Just brown the meat in an iron skillet, make a gravy, add a cup and a half of mirepoix (onions, pepper & celery). Add whatever veggies you like (I usually put in a bag of frozen vegetable mix) and season to taste--with me, its salt, garlic and black pepper. Simmer it, covered, about an hour to make the meat really tender, put in a large square casserole and cover with smashed potatoes. Bake at 350 until the top is crusty and brown. Simple, one dish meal.

Bonz
09-20-2013, 03:28 PM
Family was hungry for shepherds pie the other night, but we didn't have any burger in the freezer.

2# round steak
2-3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4t garlic powder
1/4t celery salt
2# frozen green beans
1 can cream of mushroom soup
mashed potatoes for topping I used 10 servings of instant, 16 would have been better

Slice the round steak into 1 1/2" wide strips, then slice the strips to 1/4" thick
a spot of oil in the cast iron skillet, add meat, garlic,Worcestershire sauce, and celery salt.
Cook over med/slow heat for 15-20 minutes. Wasn't trying to sear the meat, just cook it down to remove all but 1/4 cup of "drippins".
Mix the cooked meat with the 1/4c drippins, the frozen green beans, cream of mushroom soup, and put into 9X13 baking pan. Top with the mashed potatoes and bake at 375f for an hour or so, look for the potatoes to just slightly brown on top.
Normally we can get 2 meals for the family out of this size pan, but not this time. Got enough left-overs for me to eat lunch today.....

Is that a small can or big can of Mushroom Soup ?

jaysouth
09-20-2013, 05:29 PM
What? No shepherd?

I was hoping to trade you a recipe for shih-tzu on the half-shell or poodle pot pie.

dale in Louisiana
(Who had a very interesting tour in Korea)

Dale,

I have a super recipe for Kung Pau Kitty.

brtelec
09-20-2013, 05:56 PM
Technically, it is not a Shepherds Pie unless it has lamb or mutton in it. Hence the name Shepherd. Of course my mom never made it with anything but ground beef or venison and always called it shepherds pie. I guess as Dale in Louisiana suggested, it would be a Shepherds Pie if you put an actual shepherd in it.

Zymurgy50
09-20-2013, 06:51 PM
It was a small can, the liquid in the frozen green beans combined with the soup made just the right amount of gravy....

Bonz
09-20-2013, 10:35 PM
Thanks ! The wife and I are going to try your recipe this weekend.

Reverend Al
09-26-2013, 04:22 PM
A couple of night's back I diced up 4 medium onions and sauteed them, then browned about 2 1/2 pounds of extra lean ground beef and added some season salt, freshly ground black pepper, garlic, etc., etc., then I diced up about 2 pounds of carrots and added about a 1/2 bag of frozen peas. I skinned about 8 medium potatoes and put them in a pot on a low boil. Then I took 1/2 pound of butter (yeah ... the REAL deal!) and about 3/4 cup of flour and stirred it constantly to make a nice light brown "roux" and then slowly added a bit of the potato water a bit at a time with some more garlic, salt and pepper plus a couple of "dashes" of Worcestershire, a couple of healthy "shakes" of hot sauce along with a few "glugs" of Soy Sauce and then added that gravy to the meat and vegetable mix. I mashed the potatoes with some more butter and a bit of 1/2 & 1/2 (I had it in the fridge for coffee so I used it) and seasoned them up a bit. I spread the meat and vegetable mix and gravy into a roasting pan and then topped it off with the potatoes and got decorative with a fork. (Presentation, presentation, presentation!) I popped it into the oven at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes and then gave it about 5 minutes more under the broiler to brown and crisp up the potato topping and .... voila!
We've been eating this for dinner for the past 2 days and will finish it up for tonight's dinner too. You just can't get tired of eating tasty home-made food .. even three nights in a row!
:drinks:
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd466/Reverend_Al/Misc/ShepherdsPie003Large_zps082ef014.jpg (http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/Reverend_Al/media/Misc/ShepherdsPie003Large_zps082ef014.jpg.html)
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd466/Reverend_Al/Misc/ShepherdsPie005Large_zps064d40af.jpg (http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/Reverend_Al/media/Misc/ShepherdsPie005Large_zps064d40af.jpg.html)
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd466/Reverend_Al/Misc/ShepherdsPie004Large_zps82c8dd63.jpg (http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/Reverend_Al/media/Misc/ShepherdsPie004Large_zps82c8dd63.jpg.html)

Reverend Al
09-28-2013, 03:57 AM
So we finished off the last of this big roaster pan for last night's dinner after 3 nights in a row of the same fare ... but we were invited out for dinner and a few hands of cards tonight over at a friend's house ... and so what did they serve us for dinner? Oh, you guessed it ... "SHEPHERD'S PIE"! Too funny ... (and it was still a tasty meal even after 4 days in a row of the same thing for dinner!)

:lol: