PDA

View Full Version : Dan Wesson info?

Tatume
09-20-2013, 08:40 AM
Hello Folks,

There appear to be many variations on Dan Wesson revolvers. Can someone provide a concise history on the changes, and the relative quality and accuracy of the models? For example, I’ve read that when the company was based on Palmer, MA there were some quality control issues. How would one identify these guns, and if one was acquired, are remedies available?

That is, if someone who didn’t know the product line wanted to buy his first Dan Wesson revolver, what would he look for to be sure of getting a good one?

Thanks, Tom

Bohica793
09-20-2013, 08:54 AM
I own a Dan Wesson Model 15-2 .357 that I will probably never relinquish. It is the one of the finest revolvers ever made and was the reigning champion in shooting competitions for a number of years. Mine was produced around 1975 in the Monson, PA manufacturing facility, which was the original Dan Wesson plant during its heyday. Wikipedia has a history if you are interested Dan Wesson Arms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Wesson_Firearms). I would enthusiastically recommend the 15-2 to anyone.

44man
09-20-2013, 09:37 AM
I just can't give a time line but the company was taken over by new owners for a time. Guns went to pot, barrels in crooked and internal parts not doing what they were in there for. Workmanship went away for profit.
I don't know what they make today but a 1911 from them is the most accurate I ever shot, 1/2" at 50 yards.
Someone here will know dates.

MR835
09-20-2013, 03:14 PM
I have a DW 744V SS mfg in Monson PA. In 1982 and it is the msot accurate revolver I have ever hunted with. For much info on DW arms go to The Dan Wesson Fourm.
SAFE SHOOTING ALWAYS.

MR835 IS GONE

USAFrox
09-20-2013, 04:11 PM
I have a Dan Wesson 15-2 that is the most accurate .357 I own. They are so inherently accurate because the barrel is tensioned at the front and back because of the design of the removable barrels. I love mine, and probably won't ever get rid of it.

MT Gianni
09-20-2013, 11:27 PM
I have a mod 15 aka Pork Chop due to the over hang on the barrel shroud. It is a good shooter. The Monson MA guns were good they moved from there, to Palmer then I think there was a bancruptcy and another relocate.

Jupiter7
09-20-2013, 11:38 PM
Bob serva is the man, he bought Dan wesson and made the excellent 1911's and then sold the company to CZ-USA, they still make great 1911's. The factory burned last year, prices have been up ever since. Bob is still making great 1911's under the Fusion Firearms name. Most slabside die-hards most likely know this already. Sorry to be off track, not revovler related.

44man
09-21-2013, 02:34 PM
I didn't know the factory burned.

Jupiter7
09-21-2013, 05:15 PM
I didn't know the factory burned.

Just the Dan wesson 1911 production. All up and running now. Had some smoke damaged grips for sell on the CZ web page a few weeks back. I still lust after a RZ-10...

missionary5155
09-21-2013, 06:53 PM
Greetingss
Another Dam Wesson affecionado. Have numerous and no intentions of ever turning any loose.
beyond a BFR I have never owned any other brand that shoots better. A very few will come close to a DW of the same caliber but NONE can best .
The Dan Wesson Forum is the best source for DW info. Just go there and on the right side in the info area is a link with dates and so forth.
Mike in Peru

Daddyfixit
09-22-2013, 07:47 PM
Greetingss
Another Dam Wesson affecionado. Have numerous and no intentions of ever turning any loose.
beyond a BFR I have never owned any other brand that shoots better. A very few will come close to a DW of the same caliber but NONE can best .
The Dan Wesson Forum is the best source for DW info. Just go there and on the right side in the info area is a link with dates and so forth.
Mike in Peru

I have an early 44 Mag 6" HV and will never let it go!

Go the DW form, good reading!
http://www.danwessonforum.com/forum/

BD
09-22-2013, 08:01 PM
The Wiki site below has the basic info. IMHO, the short story is: Monson = mostly good; Palmer = very mixed to poor quality; Norwich = very good with the exception of some early Norwich revolvers put together out of left over Palmer parts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Wesson_Firearms

I have a 744 and a 15-2 that I will likely never part with. I've shot a few smiths that will stay with the DWs shooting light target loads, but I have yet to find another revolver that will stay with the DWs using heavy boolits at 200 yards.
BD

Artful
09-22-2013, 08:27 PM
I have a 15 and 15-2 - both great guns - Both built stout - one of the reasons S&W came out with the L frame is because we were beating the K frames to death in Sillywet shooting - never had that problem with the DW revolvers.

Oh, and a thread about something to watch out for...
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?204218-Dan-Wesson-Stuck-Shroud

ipopum
09-26-2013, 10:06 PM
I have had a model 15 or 15 something. I dont remember when I got it but like others have said it will be the last gun I turn loose of. It is marked HI STANDARD but is a true DW. I have run Thousands of mostly cast thru it. If you can find one buy it . It will be the best wheel gun you will ever own.

dubber123
09-28-2013, 12:12 PM
If you can personally check one out before buying, do so. QC issues weren't related to any single plant. One of the biggest wrecks I have experience with came from the Monson plant, a SS ported .44. I have had issues with a .22 LR one, and a .357 also. Done right, they can be super accurate. Slapped together, your would have to shop South America to get a bigger clunker.

kweidner
09-28-2013, 05:24 PM
I have. 15-2 and a 741 in .41mag. Neither would ever be for sale. The 15-2 is Palmer gold edition. The 741 is Monson. Takes a little gettign used to the short hammer travel. If you shoot a bunch of SW or Ruger and move to a DW it takes a second to get back in a groove. I have had custom barrels made for my .41 and bought an aftermarket from EWK arms for my .357