PDA

View Full Version : Reloading for the 50/90 Shilo Sharps Rifle

Pappy 1
09-19-2013, 10:44 PM
I loaded up some 550 grain Flat nose bullets for my 50/90 sharps rifle today. I am a little new when it comes to reloading for black powder. I have loaded smokeless powder for over 30 years now but I have only been reloading black powder for about 3 years and a lot more to learn. I have been using the book called, Reading the SPG Lubricants BP Cartridge Reloading Primer by Mike Venturino and Steve Garbe. I have searched for more info on reloading the 50/90 but I have just been having a hard time finding reloading info. I purchase the Lyman Cast bullet handbook but only limited info on the 50/90. From what I read, the book said that you can load as much black powder into the case and seating the bullet if you can get it to fit. I have loaded some 515 grain bullets with 2f at a 100 grains of black powder. The bullets shot just fine with no signs of any high pressure. I have now loaded the 550 grain with 95 grains of 2f with a 30 cardboard wad. I felt the load compress just a little. The book said compress the load to 1/16. Every thing seems to work out ok so far. I am just wondering if 95 grains is to much powder for such a large bullet. I surly don't want to blow up my gun. Is there any good info for the reloading the 50/90 sharps rifle.

5.7 MAN
09-20-2013, 03:09 AM
The real 50-90 shooters will show up soon, but you are fine with that charge. I have shoot up to 110 grains with similar weight bullets. I use 1F but have used 2F as well.

The Goose
09-20-2013, 07:36 AM
Practically speaking you cannot overload a BPCR case with too much black powder. My understanding is that it is the opposite. A partially filled case could develop pressure issues. I have two 50/90 rifles. My favorite load is 95 grains of Swiss 1.5 with a .060 Walters wad and a 700 grain roundnose boolit from an NEI mold or a 650 grain from a Hoch mold. On lighter boolits I have used as much as 110 grains.

Pappy 1
09-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the info. I am still learning about this black powder reloading. Safety is my number one concern. I have seen some compress dies out there, is it worth the money to purchase one and is it necessary.

country gent
09-20-2013, 10:20 AM
Keep in mind most bpcr bullets are 20-1 alloy fairly soft. any amoount of pressure can distort the bullet nose. Compressing powder any amount produces pressure when being done. Compressing with a seperate die saves this issue and makes a more consistent load. Another trick is to expand cases so bullets can be habd seated down to the wad then sized arond the bullet to just set the neck tension where the rifle wants it. Be sure and chamfer cases inside and out for consistency. I use a vld angled deburring tool as I perfer the more gradual angle. Drop powder charge hand seat wad compress to depth to allow bullet to sit right where it needs to be. Write the dimension from case mouth to wad for the bullet down in your notes and it can be repeated easily.

Gunlaker
09-20-2013, 11:43 AM
You won't have trouble with the amount of powder. Also, don't worry about 1/16" compression as something written in stone. Experiment and let your rifle tell you what powder charge and compression to use. Pretty much any charge of FFg or Fg will be fine. I use 95gr of Goex Fg in my .50-90 and a 700gr Baco Creedmoor bullet cast in 20:1.

Chris.

Skipper
09-22-2013, 11:25 AM
Pappy, check over at the Shiloh forum. I'm sure someone over there has a secret recipe. :D

http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/

Don McDowell
09-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Pappy , most of the folks on the Shiloh forum hang out over here as well.
For the best in 50 2.5 Shiloh info, you need to pick Leadpots brain a little. He shoots one , and shoots it quite well.
Gunlaker also gave you some very good advice, and chances are it wouldn't change any whether he gave it to you here or on any of the other boards he's a frequent and solid participant.

MT Chambers
09-28-2013, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the info. I am still learning about this black powder reloading. Safety is my number one concern. I have seen some compress dies out there, is it worth the money to purchase one and is it necessary.
Pappy: don't buy one just use your expander die from the 45/70 or other slightly smaller die, properly adjusted of course.

Crash_Corrigan
10-04-2013, 02:16 PM
I shoot a Winchester 1895 High Wall 50-90 Sharps and I load 103 gr of Swiss 1 1/2 holy black under a thin wad and a 20-1 cast 695 Gr boolit. It hits hard at both ends but is accurate out to over 400 yds.

This is a compressed loading and I have to clean out the bore every 3 or 4 shots with a vinegar water soaked patch or two and then a dry patch.

This is a hard recoiling heavy rifle and I use a shoulder pad to lessen the pain. After 20 or 25 rounds I am done for the day.

powderburnerr
10-05-2013, 11:23 PM
the sharps load was a 473 gn patched bullet loaded over 100 grains of 1F powder ,if you are in this ball park you probably have a good load ,,however you load it , keep the bullet soft and maintain around 100 gns of powder and you will have a good load ,