PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find basic beginning load for Lee 358-150-1R Cast Bullet 38 Spl Target Load

bedbugbilly
09-19-2013, 10:22 PM
I'm a new reloader trying to find a good beginning load for a Lee 358-150 grain round nose cast lead bullet for standard 38 spl target/plinking load.

I was going to get some Trail Boss but I can't find it as the shops are out of it. I was able to find some Accurate No. 2 and some Unique so I got some of each to try. In addition to the bullet mold for the above round.

I also picked up a Lee TL358-158-SWC mold. My Speers #14 manual gives a 3.6 gr min / 4.0 gr max for No. 2 and a 4.0 gr min / 4.7 gr max for Unique that should work for that cast lead bullet that should work for a standard 38 spl. cartridge. The Accurate Powder Reloading Data chart on their website confirms these amounts for the No. 2 powder.

However, I am not finding much in regards to a cast lead 150 gr. round nose as to what should be the minimum and maximum charges in grains for Accurate No. 2 or Unique. I have looked in a number of stores and these two seem to be about the only thing that I can find. I have tried to find Bullseye but everyone seems to be out of that as well. Perhaps I am not looking at it correctly? i.e. - can you use the loading data for a lead 148 gr. cast bullet for one that is 150 gr.? Since there is only a 2 gr difference?

I'm not looking to "push the limit" on my reloads. I'm looking for a good target load for punching paper and plinking - 25 yards is about the max. range. As I said, I'm just getting in to the reloading so am still learning - with a whole lot of learning to go yet.

Can someone steer me to where I can find some loading data for this bullet for 38 spl.? Or can some one advise me as to what I should be looking at in regards to min/max loads for this powder?

The pistols I will be shooting my reloads out of are - New Vaquero - 5 1/2" .357, .357 LCR, a vintage Colt Army Special and vintage Smith and Wesson - both 6 " barrels, a 4" Python and a Smith and Wesson Model 36 J Frame - 2" barrel - so everything from around 2 to 6 inches.

The only reason I got the round nose 150 gr. mold is because I'm old and somewhat of a "traditionalist" - I just like round nose bullets to use in my NV, Colt AS and Smith Target. I've cast round ball and conicals for 50 years for BP so I will have no problem casting these. I just can't seem to find what I'm looking for in terms of loads at times as it seems like a lot of the charts deal with "manufactured" bullets. So . . . can someone educate me on this? Many thanks.

geargnasher
09-19-2013, 11:34 PM
Use any good, published data for 158-grain cast boolits of any design. The full-wadcutter load data will use less powder because they are seated much more deeply in the case, thus reducing case capacity and getting more pressure per grain.

I've shot that boolit with a variety of powders and found it quite accurate, easy to poke in the cylinders, and the small lube grooves cut down on lube smoke. It's also quite good in the .38 Super.

Gear

Low Budget Shooter
09-20-2013, 12:02 AM
5.0 grains Unique should do great for you. Unique performs better at the top of the load range than at the bottom, so although you can use less than 5 grains, about 5.0 is where it really starts to perform. LBS

runfiverun
09-20-2013, 12:22 AM
the 148 or better yet the 158gr data jaxketed/cast load data is what i'd start with.
just go from the bottom end and work from there.
4-5grs of unique is an oft recommended load....

Larry Gibson
09-20-2013, 06:53 AM
While Unique can work fine it works best at the top end in the 38 SPL as mentioned. I suggest getting some Bullseye or 231 and using it for standard 38 spl target/plinking load. Try 2.7 - 3.5 gr of either powder with either of those Lee bullets.

Larry Gibson

bedbugbilly
09-20-2013, 08:42 AM
Thank you all for the information - I greatly appreciate it. I'm hoping to get some casting done today and then load some up this next week. I'm trying to read as much as I can - just seems like the more I read, the more questions I have! :-) That's not bad though . . . it's how we all learn! At 60 I'm still learning everyday!

Larry - I have hit a number of places in my locality that carry reloading supplies. I still want to get some Bullseye to try and will keep my eye out for some 231 as well. I like the idea of having a variety to try.

I'm new to this board - have been, and am, on many different boards - I have to say . . . this board is the GREATEST! I can't express enough how helpful it is to be able to come on a board and ask questions (many of which have probably been asked many times) when you are getting in to something like reloading. I'm 60 and have always been interested in reloading, just never got around to it. It's nice to be able to ask questions to clear something up and get knowledgeable answers from folks who are friendly and willing to help others. I and others who are getting in to this greatly appreciate your kind efforts to get us on the right track! ;-)

TMenezes
09-24-2013, 02:43 AM
Did you have any luck with the Accurate #2? I have heard good things about it in light target loads but haven't tried it myself. It should comparable to the much used Bullseye loads but supposedly burns cleaner. Try it and let me know.

I just got my first 38 special, an old colt police revolver. Just shot it for the first time last weekend. Seemed really accurate, just had to slow down as the rear sight is very small compared to my larger revolvers.