PDA

View Full Version : Need to rebuild my old LEE pot?

like it all
09-19-2013, 10:00 PM
My old LEE production pot is not bringing metal up to high enough temperature. I purchased this pot many moons ago, and I noticed that I have to run it at max temp to get my molds to fill properly and avoid wrinkling. Can these pots be rebuilt? I saw thermostats and heating elements on Midways Web site.
If I decide to rebuild it, are there any pitfalls I should be aware of. It's a 20 lb 110 unit with the little bottom pour lever that operates the pour rod at the bottom. The parts come to about half the price of a new one, so I'm wondering If it's worth it.:-o

Vinne
09-19-2013, 10:28 PM
You can go one of two ways with a Lee pot. First, you can send it in and they will rebuild it or replace it for half their listed cost. Read the warranty on the website. The turn around time is very fast. OR, you can order all the parts and rebuild it yourself. It is tricky to take apart and put back together. If you like that then by all means have at it...I would rather cast than rebuild.

I chose to send mine in and at the same time up grade from a 10# pot to a larger 20#er. I just paid half the cost of the larger one plus shipping. I must say that Lee is great to deal with when it comes to their products. Let us know the outcome.

Norbrat
09-19-2013, 11:08 PM
I would think the element either works, or it doesn't. It would be more likely the thermostat is the issue.

You could test this by bypassing the thermostat, but be ready to unplug the pot as it will likely overheat very quickly.

BTW, the thermostat is not a true thermostat; rather it heats up due to the amount of current going through it, not from the actual lead temp.

Recently a European member had issues with his new pot which seemed to have been fitted with the wrong thermostat; he fixed it in the end by bending the bi-metal strip. Cleaning the contacts might help as well.

like it all
09-19-2013, 11:11 PM
I'm with you I'd rather be casting then rebuilding. Half the price of a new one is just fine with me. Thanks for the tip!

Ausglock
09-19-2013, 11:12 PM
Do what I did. Built a PID temp controller and bypassed the thermostat. Far more accurate temp control.
All up. It cost $45 AUD for parts on Ebay.