PDA

View Full Version : Steves Pages

Jonathan
09-19-2013, 06:29 PM
Anyone know what happened to Steve's Pages? Thanks.

foesgth
09-19-2013, 07:01 PM
Looks like they were hacked by someone who added a virus to the page. Too bad it was a great info source. Let's hope they get it fixed.

markinalpine
09-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Seems to be working now.

Mark :coffeecom

USAFrox
09-20-2013, 02:25 PM
What is a "steve page"?

Doc_Stihl
09-20-2013, 02:41 PM
Be mighty careful with the data from that site. I found about a dozen loads that were WAY over max before I stopped visiting.

WILCO
09-20-2013, 02:55 PM
Be mighty careful with the data from that site. I found about a dozen loads that were WAY over max before I stopped visiting.

That's why I'm a proponent of having a battery of reloading manuals. Folks in the "Give me" threads always get upset when I mention having them.

km101
09-20-2013, 03:29 PM
That's why I'm a proponent of having a battery of reloading manuals. Folks in the "Give me" threads always get upset when I mention having them.

+1 If you look it up yourself you can depend on it! And having multiple sources ensures that it is correct.

fryboy
09-21-2013, 08:15 AM
multiple sources confuses me more than anything else as they never always seem to "jive" , it's especially bad when they only list one load , while you and i may know that this means max load ( and the better sites usually mentions this ) some take it as to meaning "load it like it shows" , any load should be worked up to !! steve's pages usually use some powder company or bullet manufacturer's data , for one to blindly load the top data happens more than i'd care to think about ( and also why i no longer shoot at public ranges ) more isnt always better ,and often isnt the most accurate , but some equate it as fastest and that's what they want by golly - again why i rarely shoot at public ranges , in my world no matter the caliber, no matter the projectile style 4 or 5 fast misses is still a miss and a earsplittinloudenboomer isnt going to make up for not putting that projectile exactly where it needs to be , and blowing primer pockets ( or worse) with the first ( or second ) shot does nothing but help keep brass scarce ( especially in these trying times )

i do note that in doing a web search for steves pages pulls up alot of hits , today there's a "this site may harm your computer " blurb but also my umm keep me safe software has it's own little icon stating that this site is safe
here's a link to what my browser pulls up when i click on the link to page 7 at steves pages

https://www.google.com/interstitial?url=http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm

"Warning - visiting this web site may harm your computer!

Suggestions:
Return to the previous page and pick another result.
Try another search to find what you're looking for.
Or you can continue to http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm at your own risk. For detailed information about the problems we found, visit Google's Safe Browsing diagnostic page for this site.

For more information about how to protect yourself from harmful software online, you can visit StopBadware.org.

If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google's Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Center.
Advisory provided by Google "

and the google diagnostic page link from the above link

http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm&hl=en

"Safe Browsing
Diagnostic page for stevespages.com

What is the current listing status for stevespages.com?
Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 2 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?
Of the 24 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 6 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2013-09-14, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2013-09-09.
Malicious software includes 5 exploit(s).

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS30447 (INFB2-AS).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?
Over the past 90 days, stevespages.com did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?
Yes, this site has hosted malicious software over the past 90 days. It infected 2 domain(s), including npsa.lt/, urlin.it/.

How did this happen?
In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

Next steps:
Return to the previous page.
If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Center.
Updated 5 hours ago
©2008 Google - Google Home "

sadly google still states and blacklist steve's pages

Bad Water Bill
09-21-2013, 01:09 PM

Some of my manuals have been used for over 40 years now and so far no one has snuck in any malware.

I did find a spider in one manual. He was mummified so no real damage done. :bigsmyl2:

You can never have enough manuals and they will be there long after we are gone. .

WILCO
09-21-2013, 01:20 PM
I did find a spider in one manual. He was mummified so no real damage done. :bigsmyl2:

Sure he wasn't a bookmark?

WILCO
09-21-2013, 01:21 PM
:shock:[smilie=l::D:D:D

Bad Water Bill
09-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Sure he wasn't a bookmark?

SHE lost HER life because SHE scared a MALE bookworm.[smilie=s:

WILCO
09-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Oh boy. :)

dtknowles
09-21-2013, 03:47 PM
I think there is someone out there who makes reloading manuals by caliber. You can by a set of loading data for say just .357 Mag. I think it is call Gun Loads but I might be wrong about that. When I first saw that I got the idea to go thru all my manuals and magazines and make a spreadsheet for the calibers I shoot most often, listing all the loads I could find for that caliber. Because it is an Excel Spreadsheet I can sort it many different ways but I mostly have it sorted by bullet weight and velocity. For 9mm Para I list 120 different powder bullet combinations and test results for 70 factory load tests. I did this back in 2009 and have not kept it up to date.

Now don't everyone start asking me for a copy of my spreadsheets because I am not going to deal with a bunch of e-mails and I am not going to just dump it out there on the web to be downloaded either. You can buy the same thing from a commercial source, like I said I think it is Gun Loads. It was their idea and not mine and they should profit not me, I was just a copycat. Anyone with a bunch of magazines and manuals can do the same thing just take a little time.

One thing I would be willing to share is what powders produced the highest velocities for a given bullet weight.

Like for a 125 gr. FMJ in 9mm x 19 Para in my data Power Pistol produced the highest velocity. Noticeably higher than Blue Dot, Herco, and HS-6 which were the next best powders that all produce similar top velocities. Blue Dot comes out on top if you switch to a Sierra 125 gr. JHP.

Tim

TRX
09-21-2013, 04:01 PM
multiple sources confuses me more than anything else as they never always seem to "jive"

I have printed reloading books, booklets, and data sheets going back to the mid-1960s. The "maximum" load in some is barely medium in others. I view them as a general guide and just watch for primer and extraction issues when working up maximum loads, which I seldom do nowadays, as I found that "most accurate" is often well below "fastest", and I discovered I liked making little raggedly holes instead of patterning on a target.

One thing I've noticed, looking at specific cartridge data over decades, is that velocity in the manuals cycles up and down. I'm assuming there's a tug-of-war between the marketers ("If we're the fastest more people will buy our components!") and the legal department ("If someone blows up their gun and gets the right jury we'll all be living in cardboard boxes.").

Then there are issues with specific cartridges. Most people here would know the difference between a Trapdoor load and a Ruger load for a .45-70; most loading manuals call them out as two separate cartridges. But the military and SAAMI specs for .30-06 are different, because some people thought there might still be some of those "brittle" Springfields out there. And for 8x57 Mauser, some data is fudged to account for the possibility someone might send a .323" bullet down a .318" bore. And I've never managed to figure out why the variation on .303 British...

Bad Water Bill
09-21-2013, 04:26 PM
With so many folks having their favorite bottom sucking lawyers on "SPEED DIAL #2 many of us just can not afford to give out a proven load any more.

Reg
09-21-2013, 10:39 PM
Have been in touch with Steve and he assures me that the site is clean. Believe me, he knows his computer stuff. If he says it's clean--- it's clean.
I have been to the site three times in the last few days and have had no problems whatever.
There has been a lot of crazy stuff going on here in the last little bit at a number of sites. If any of you know Steve , you know his political feelings. A good number of other sites with the same feelings are also having trouble as well.
Take it for what it is worth.

mikeym1a
09-22-2013, 12:40 AM
Just for chuckles, I am trying to get the Speer #1 manual, and some others. I also want a Lyman manual from 1950, the year I was born. (I didn't start shooting for a while after that......) I'm curious to see how the loads have changed over the years. I like having a printed page in front of me. Pixels on a screen just don't do it for me.

frankenfab
09-22-2013, 12:46 AM
The old manuals have major cool factor. I bought a few off eBay myself.

JWFilips
09-22-2013, 09:08 PM
IF you are Macintosh base just go to the pages and click through the warnings..... Nothing will happen! This is a Bill Gates problem! It is a "windows based thing"

Jonathan
09-24-2013, 05:23 PM
I've been using Google Chrome. With no success. Just a dead end. Just tried Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. Both worked fine.