PDA

View Full Version : Hi everybody

tkerrigan
09-19-2013, 12:12 AM
I've been into air gunning for about 2.5 years as a steady thing. I have guns from .73 down to .177, the larger calibers have gotten me into casting as a side line. The .73 boolits are quite expensive so I make my own. Round balls, 700 gr, and 850 gr slugs. I need to start casting .452 as I just got a Gargoyle. When I receive the rifle, I will be doing .58 also, another expensive slug. Well, it's good to see more people getting the air gun disease. Regards, Tom

roachcreek
09-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Good to see you here Tom.

Tom shoots probably the most powerful air guns made and still man portable, the 58 and 12 gauge rifled XPAirguns.

longbow
09-19-2013, 09:28 PM
I've got an interest in air guns but not quite that big!

There seems to be a large selection of .177 to .25's but I would like something a little bigger and that I can cast for.

I am thinking more like .30 cal. to maybe .44/.45. I am kind of thinking something .357" or maybe .375" would be big enough to be impressive without being too greedy on compressed air.

I know of some of the Korean "medium" bore guns but what else is out there that is affordable? And what guns will digest cast boolits?

Do you guys do valve modifications and other mod's?

Enlighten me some if you would be so kind.

Thanks,
Longbow

tkerrigan
09-19-2013, 10:46 PM
It seems with the exception of the Korean rifles that the big bores are pretty much maxed out as bought. I have detuned some of mine to lower air consumption/pressure. Shorter hammer springs. Will Piatt does a good job on tuning Korean air rifles, mostly in the neighborhood of 75-100fps increase in velocity and a much better trigger for about $200. A recluse might be good to start with, 3000 lb fills, 9MM/.357, available with single or dual air tubes, dual power levels, shoot ball on low power and heavier on high about $675. 10% off at PA ending tomorrow. If you don't like the power, send it to Will and you will. Just noticed that you are in Canada, aren't Bob Sterne and Sean developing a .303 multi-shot? Regards, Tom

longbow
09-21-2013, 12:09 PM
I have to get caught up on currently available air guns.

A powerful .22 or .25 might fit the bill but I am thinking .30 cal. to .375 would be easier to cast for and not too big.

I will have to do a search for Will Piatt to see if he has a website.

Don't know who "Bob Sterne and Sean" are. Do they have a shop and/or website?

Thanks,
Longbow

Pakprotector
09-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Bob Sterne is only the experimenter...his main air gun job is telling folks who want him to build something, 'NO'. Now it might be possible to fund his next experiment and take charge of it when done, but I wouldn't bet much money on that. Sean (SeanMP on the GTA ) and Bob developed a TJ liner to shoot 30 cal pellets. These are .30 head so they can not do well in the usual .308 groove barrels. Twist rate is special to them too.

Give me a bit and I can supply 100+ FPE Marauder valves...:)
cheers,
Douglas

tkerrigan
09-21-2013, 01:21 PM
Longbow, if you would like a powerful .25, the Sumatra lever action with 500CC of air reservoir does quite well. I filled mine to 3100psi and a 51gr .251 bullet did 105fp on the first shot. It has adjustable power so it will shoot pellets very well also. It has a 24" probably LW barrel, literature says barrel made in Germany. Very accurate. By shooting pellets most of the time I can afford to buy bullets occasionally. Regards, Tom

HARRYMPOPE
09-21-2013, 02:12 PM
How load is the 24" .25 Suamtra (compared to a .22 lr)

Pakprotector
09-21-2013, 02:32 PM
How load is the 24" .25 Suamtra (compared to a .22 lr)

Without a muffler, quite comparable. Even my wife's Career 707ii in .22 is comparable to a LR round when its pickel is taken off( for experimental purposes ).
cheers,
Douglas

longbow
09-21-2013, 09:48 PM
Okay, found those websites and had a look. Interesting stuff!

I guess I should say that I would like something I can cast boolits and/or round balls for. I do like casting and shooting but the reloading leaves me a little cold. Air guns solve that and they are fun, generally quieter than powder guns and cheap to shoot.

.25 cal to .357 cal seems about right. Not sure if you can cast for a .25 though. It seems the larger bore airguns will shoot regular boolits. If I could get a .44 I might even go that route as I have quite a few .44 cal. moulds. It is a bit bigger than I want but it would make use of moulds I already have which would be nice.

How many shots do you get from a typical .45 cal?

Got to do some more research.

Longbow

MT Chambers
09-21-2013, 10:42 PM
Longbow........you will get more shots from......wait for it.....a long bow.

HARRYMPOPE
09-22-2013, 01:42 AM
Okay, found those websites and had a look. Interesting stuff!

I guess I should say that I would like something I can cast boolits and/or round balls for. I do like casting and shooting but the reloading leaves me a little cold. Air guns solve that and they are fun, generally quieter than powder guns and cheap to shoot.

Longbow

I feel the same way.I went from loading at the bench for my 30 calibers to shooting with Lyman Tong tools to mainly muzzle loaders this last 3 years.
Showing up to the range with a rifle and a box rather than having to spend the night before loading is great! Also with the airguns i shoot(non PCP lower/medium power stuff) I shoot at the home range up to 90 yards and every day! I shoot over 1000 pellets per month lately.I have a lighted 25 and 50 yard range set up for winter already.Its a lazy mans way to become a good shot.

longbow
09-22-2013, 01:51 AM
I do get lots of shots from my longbows... but I have to go pick up arrows after. Let me rephrase that... I have to go pull arrows from the target after. Now that sounds better than picking up arrows from the dirt. Never have to refill/pump up a bow though!

Boolits however, if they get picked up it is from strip mining to remelt and not necessary, just frugal.

I have always liked air guns, now I want a big boys air gun. As long as I can cast for it I think it would be a good addition to the arsenal. The bows and guns get along fine.

Longbow