PDA

View Full Version : New to me member to the firearm family

IcerUSA
10-27-2007, 09:08 AM
Picked you an almost new, test fired at the factory on 5/30/2007, Super Blackhawk Hunter . WOOT Now to figure out why it was sold so soon, maybe just a recoil thing , doesn't look to be shot much at all . :) Also have a Weaver 2X on the way for it . Going to load up a few to try it out on Sunday just to get a feel for it but I think I'm going to like it tho . :)

Here she is (well the factory pic that is ) :

I like the 7 1/2" barrel on it plus it's stainless , kind of have a fetish for the silver color weapons I guess . hehehe

Hope the forcing cones and the barrel are in proper dimensions so she shoots cast well, if not we'll just have to make her shoot as everyone here has the info I need to make her shoot . :)

BBL, going to the Gun Show in Grand Rapids to see if I can pick up some powder and who knows what else , kinda like a kid in a candy store ya know hehehe OH , look at that , no-no , over here , look at this , OH OH OH look at that , that's a mighty pretty looking rifle , etc. etc. etc.

Keith

testhop
10-27-2007, 10:09 AM
icer i have one of those and i will tell you i thing it is one of the finest 44 ever made i love mine i use three loads all use 240 gr 430421 with 10 gr.unique
14,5 blue dot
20.0 240
in 44mag cases for 44specals i like 6 unique it is a lot more fun to shoot
none of these loads are hot but you will have to let the hunter tell you what it likes
i watch my brass and if i see the leatest split or some time just because i need specal brass
i put mag brass in the trimmer (i have a C,H power TRIMMER that i bough more years than i would like to rememberit can trim a mag down to a specal in seconds

44man
10-27-2007, 11:33 AM
I have seen that too. A guy shot it twice and returned it to the store. But the price was too high for me.
Use the Lee 310 boolit, FED 150 primer and 21.5 gr's of 296 to get under an inch at 50 yd's and knock deer out of their socks.

9.3X62AL
10-27-2007, 02:12 PM
Use the Lee 310 boolit, FED 150 primer and 21.5 gr's of 296 to get under an inch at 50 yd's and knock deer out of their socks.

It must be quite cold where you deer-hunt. Our blacktails locally are reported to wear Panama hats and Bermuda shorts. :)

IcerUSA
10-27-2007, 05:20 PM
Well I made it back from the gun show, a little lighter as the wallet got thinned out a bit . Picked up 3lbs of powder and not the one that was on the top of my list as I was holding on to a Marlin in 45-70, short little thing she is , will pick it up next week as the fed's just got the call on the 44 yesterday so you know how they are :(

Was funny to see people that where there and came back at the time I was there with the rifle in my hands wanting to buy it . LOL

Now to get a few rounds loaded up for the 44 this afternoon and evening .

All in all a good day at the show plus we stopped at one of the area gun shops and got some more powder and I got a set of Lyman handles for 20 bucks and a couple Lyman sizer dies for 15 bucks each with a top punch with then , so I believe it was a good day.

Keith

44man
10-27-2007, 11:35 PM
[smilie=l:[smilie=l:

fivegunner
10-28-2007, 08:25 AM
I live in a small town of LOWELL , east of Grand Rapids, where do you call home?:castmine::Fire: Frank

IcerUSA
10-28-2007, 09:42 AM
Hi Frank , I'm up in Greenville. I shoot out at the Flat River Conservation Club when I can , or else I go out to the public range at Belding Sportsmans Club.

Flat River has a better range set up tho , 25yd range is set up to be able to do 21ft to 25yds , 50yds , 100 and 200yd ranges to top it off and so far the people out there don't seem to be brain dead about range portacal . :-D

Keith

Powderpacker
10-28-2007, 01:14 PM
I am familiar with 6 Hunters and they are all stellar . I have a .22 and a .41, a buddy has 2 .44's (BH & Bissley) and a .45 , and another buddy has a .22 . If Ruger decides to chamber the Hunter in .32 H&R I'll have to have one of each variation . Pink grips? Not a problem , sign me up - gotta have a complete set of .32's !

IcerUSA
10-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Got back from the range, had 25 rounds loaded up with the 240gr RNFP PB Lyman and 7 gns of Titegroup . I did put 18 of the 25 on the paper , not too bad for me at 25 yds open sights. Me thinks I'm going to like this pisstool real well , get a scope on it and get a load developed for it that it likes :)

Keith

hunter64
10-28-2007, 04:35 PM
When the Dirty Harry craze was on you couldn't find a Model 29 anywhere at any price, they were so back dated with orders that you literally had to know someone to get a 44 mag. from S&W. Well by 1975 they had caught up with production and the prices were more reasonable. It was not uncommon to go into a gun store and in the used section you could find a .44 model 29 and a box of shells with 3 or 4 missing from the box. Guy buys it and it is just to much for him and sells it off for 100 bucks less than what he paid for it. My brother and I both bought one each and my bother has since sold his off but I still have mine, maybe it has 3 boxes thru it at the most and is still in near new condition. The basic problem with the model 29 is the horrible factory grip, your hands have to fit exactly or it hurts to shoot. When Pachmayr came out with a replacement grip it was a god send for avid model 29 shooters.

My super blackhawks are a pleasure to shoot and very strong as is the redhawk. You will love your hunter version and it will last your lifetime.

44man
10-29-2007, 02:58 PM
Hunter, you can say that again! :-D My old SBH, 10" silhouette gun is creeping up on 58,000 rounds, is as tight as the day I bought it and I recently shot a 1", 100 yd group with a 330 gr cast boolit. I always use STP on the cylinder pin and ratchet.