PDA

View Full Version : Simple, tank-like quality, precise hand powered case trimmer

Animal
09-18-2013, 12:14 PM
Hey guys, I reload for wheel guns and have been using the Lee case trimmers. I like them. They are simple and seem to do a good job for being able to keep brass sized properly to allow for a good quality roll crimp.

I'm ready to step up to something that will provide a lifetime of service and greater precision without too much guess work. I want to be able shoot targets at 50 yards to 100 yards with my trusty Ruger SRH and know full well that my brass trim work is up for the accuracy. This will also be used for rem .223, win .308, 30-06, possibly 7.62x39, .40 s&w, .45 acp and hopefully .357 mag.

My requirements;

1. Absolutely no electricity required! (in my mind reloading is something that should be accomplished without the power grid)
2. Solid construction (the manufacturer must stand behind this product)
3. I'm not interested in the ones with the built in micrometer unless someone can explain why it is a MUST HAVE for non-competition purposes.
4. Simple

Who fits this bill? L.E. Wilson? I like what I see from him already.

Love Life
09-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Let me tell you a story that will answer all of your questions.

Once upon a time, in a far away land, L. E. Wilson made a case trimmer. He decided to sell this case trimmer to the world. It is currently available.

The end.

novalty
09-18-2013, 12:52 PM
I am really happy with my L.E. Wilson trimmer. It is very precise on cutting, just need to add the adapter to chuck it in a drill to speed up large batches.

TNsailorman
09-18-2013, 12:57 PM
For simplicity and ease of use my 2 top choices would be the C-H or the Wilson trimmers. Both use the case holders and they are interchangeable between the two. Both require mounting on an elevated base to clear the handle as they are cranked but that is not a problem--you can make a mounting base out of a short piece of 2 x 4 or buy a mounting base from Sinclair. Both operate on the same principle and both are dead on accurate for square mouths of the cases and trim lengths. I have used Lyman, RCBS, Forster, and the Lee system in the past and they do work; but I keep going back to the C-H and Wilson system.

novalty
09-18-2013, 01:07 PM
TNsailorman, you bring up a good point about the cutter remaining straight in orientation to the case mouth. This is the reason why I chose a L.E. Wilson trimmer, as I have seen on other trimmers that hold the case my the rim will tilt the brass when pressure is put on the case mouth from the cutter.

M Hicks
09-18-2013, 01:17 PM
I have only used the Lee ones and my current RCBS Trim Pro 2. I really prefer the RCBS. It works beyond expectations for my needs. I have never used CH or Wilson but would imagine they are also great.

I think that each brand is going to have its own unique set of quirks. Just like presses. Some will say that Dillon is the best others Hornady and others RCBS and yet others Lee or some other brand. It comes down to personal preferrence.

Animal
09-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Wow, I'm glad to see that my inexperienced guess in top notch trimmers is up to par. The L.E. Wilson just looks like a no-frills, dead on, long lasting peice of precise engineering. Thanks guys. I'm putting it on my birthday gift list!

jmort
09-18-2013, 02:39 PM
You can't go wrong with the Wilson trimmer, but I like the Forster Case trimmer. There is no reason not to go with the Wilson trimmer, it is loved by all who use it. I just like the Forster Hollow Pointer and Wilson does not make a hollow pointer.

r1kk1
09-18-2013, 04:32 PM
For simplicity and ease of use my 2 top choices would be the C-H or the Wilson trimmers. Both use the case holders and they are interchangeable between the two. Both require mounting on an elevated base to clear the handle as they are cranked but that is not a problem--you can make a mounting base out of a short piece of 2 x 4 or buy a mounting base from Sinclair. Both operate on the same principle and both are dead on accurate for square mouths of the cases and trim lengths. I have used Lyman, RCBS, Forster, and the Lee system in the past and they do work; but I keep going back to the C-H and Wilson system.

+1 wholeheartedly, plus a cordless screwdriver makes short work of anything and easy to charge!

Take care

r1kk1

Animal
09-18-2013, 04:33 PM
You can't go wrong with the Wilson trimmer, but I like the Forster Case trimmer. There is no reason not to go with the Wilson trimmer, it is loved by all who use it. I just like the Forster Hollow Pointer and Wilson does not make a hollow pointer.

Interesting point you make. I didn't know such an animal existed. I took a look on the midway site and saw that it can do what you say (I thought I was lost in terminology at first).

Some of the reviews are not so encouraging. Tell me about your experience with this interesting gadget. Forester seemed like it would be a worthwhile choice if the other didn't pan out.

Love Life
09-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Here is my take. In prepping 14,000+ pieces of military 308 brass over the last 6 months I learned a thing or 2.

RCBS- I had/have the RCBS powered case trimmer. Trying to use a 3 in 1 (Chamfere/trim/deburr) you see quickly see the failing of the way it holds the case. Any runout in the case or the cutter shaft is immediately noticable on the chamfered/deburred neck. The RCBS powered case trimmer was not right for the job. Plus, IMO, the RPM are too slow, which makes the cutting process slow. Then it broke...the metal end of the cutter shaft that links to the motor shaft snapped off. No bueno.

Gracey- Really only cut out for match brass. The motor is underpowered. Enough said. It is not the tool for hogging out prepped 308 brass.

Wilson- Really fast if you use the power adapter. The most repeatable case trimmer of the 3 I used...period. Rugged.

john hayslip
09-18-2013, 06:41 PM
Lee has a new case trimmer idea.. It utilizes a body with a o-ring on the inside to grip the case. You buy the crank -top once and a die body for each caliber you want to trim. The case is inserted in a regular shell holder. the ram raised to get the case in the die body and you turn the crank. Use in a press. No electricity. There are two cranks to choose from, one just trims and the deluxe will trim and chamfer cases. They each cost about $12 but only one is required. Die body for each case you want to trim is something like $10 apiece. I like the system - the o-ring squeezes the case just enough to keep it from turning with the crank. Now if I can persuade Lee to make a die body for the 300 Blackout!

MrWolf
09-18-2013, 07:21 PM
I use the Wilson also, but hand powered :oops:

r1kk1
09-18-2013, 07:43 PM
Lee has a new case trimmer idea.. It utilizes a body with a o-ring on the inside to grip the case. You buy the crank -top once and a die body for each caliber you want to trim. The case is inserted in a regular shell holder. the ram raised to get the case in the die body and you turn the crank. Use in a press. No electricity. There are two cranks to choose from, one just trims and the deluxe will trim and chamfer cases. They each cost about $12 but only one is required. Die body for each case you want to trim is something like $10 apiece. I like the system - the o-ring squeezes the case just enough to keep it from turning with the crank. Now if I can persuade Lee to make a die body for the 300 Blackout!

Not a new idea. Pacific had one and Lee refers to a patent dated 1965. Case bodies for Wilson or CH4D can be had cheaply and easily for just about any cartridge.

Take care

r1kk1

WallyM3
09-18-2013, 08:09 PM
I've used the same Lyman trimmer since I bought it 1973 for everything from .500 Nitro to .22 Hornet. Just finished 6,000 38 Specials of all denominations maintaining 1.144+" to 1.146-" and I sharpened the cutters twice. It uses a nearly infinitely self centering-adjusting chuck rather than an array of shell holders. 82156

Now, on to 7 and 8 thousand.

I should 'fess up that the handle on the chuck and that washer thingie on the spindle aren't stock.

Periodically, I lube all the contact surfaces with a bit of Medium Way Oil. Same with presses.

Animal
09-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Wally, being how I was born in 79 I have to say that it appears to be in better condition than I am. Thanks for sharing.

WallyM3
09-18-2013, 08:20 PM
Yea, I've got pretty high mileage, too. (LOL)

Three44s
09-24-2013, 09:34 AM
Used a lot of them ........... but my mainstay is the Lyman universal like above. (My lyman is just about the same vintage as Animal but does not look as good as he does .... my fault not Lyman's)

I went to the carbide cutter a long time ago however.

For the best runnout in the business ...... I also am using Wilson for high accuracy cartridges.

Three 44s

WallyM3
09-24-2013, 11:16 AM
I've ordered a carbide cutter (it doesn't appear to be listed in Lyman's current e-catalog, but I located on on you-know-where). The blades need occasional clean-up of accumulated brass, either type, though the carbide needs little maintenance.

The old bushings appear to be Oilite, or some similar bronze material. The latest generation seems to have some sort of nylon bushing, though some of the Teflon impregnated synthetics are pretty tough. Either way, it's a quick operating, durable unit that should give good service.

One final thought. I chuck the pilots in a 5C collet in the lathe and polish them. One can do the same in a drill chuck. Just my obsession, perhaps.

EDG
09-24-2013, 03:55 PM
I much prefer the Forster trimmer. You can hold nearly all cases with just 3 collets.
With a Wilson trimmer 15 different case holders would run you over $100.

enfieldphile
09-24-2013, 05:19 PM
LE Wilson w/ a Sinclair (or other brand) base.

I have one w/ the Sinclair package: base, micrometer adjustment head etc.
I have another Wilson, a regular one on an accessory base.

dudel
09-24-2013, 07:49 PM

Once upon a time, in a far away land, L. E. Wilson made a case trimmer. He decided to sell this case trimmer to the world. It is currently available.

The end.

+1 on the Wilson trimmer. A big step up from the lee's I started with.

Lead Fred
09-24-2013, 08:04 PM

The end.

Nuff said!

In 1966 my ole man and I drove his 61 Rambler over the mountains to Cashmere WA and visited ole man Wilson.
I have been using their stuff ever since.

Last week the clip that holds the handle on my case trimmer ream fell off and when zing.

I e-mailed them, and they sent me two FREE!

If you want SAMMI spec mediocre cases, use that Lee stuff.
If you want one after another to be the same, like the 400 LC match odd sixes I did last week.
Then use a Wilson.
At several bucks a case, Im not taking any chances.

hardy
09-24-2013, 09:37 PM
I've used the same Lyman trimmer since I bought it 1973 for everything from .500 Nitro to .22 Hornet. Just finished 6,000 38 Specials of all denominations maintaining 1.144+" to 1.146-" and I sharpened the cutters twice. It uses a nearly infinitely self centering-adjusting chuck rather than an array of shell holders. 82156

Now, on to 7 and 8 thousand.

I should 'fess up that the handle on the chuck and that washer thingie on the spindle aren't stock.

Periodically, I lube all the contact surfaces with a bit of Medium Way Oil. Same with presses.

Hi Wally,if I may enquire how did you sharpen the cutters? By hand or in a jig of some type? Cheers,Mike

WallyM3
09-24-2013, 09:58 PM
I "Dykem"ed the blades and snuck up on a clearance angle that I guess to be mebbe 2 degrees. Used a 1/2" sq. white stone and removed as little metal as possible (the blue helped immensely as I approached the edge). Ultimately, not all blades will be cutting, but it does extend the life of a cutter head.

I've ordered a carbide head and may very well make up some sort of fixturing for it.

Apologies! I was wrong about the .500 Express. It won't fit the chuck (and I didn't manufacture anything). I can't remember how I did trim that brass (BELL Basic). Maybe I didn't.

hardy
09-24-2013, 10:02 PM
Gotcha,many thanks.Mike

WallyM3
09-24-2013, 10:13 PM
If I may clutter up this thread with one final thought on the Lyman...

I don't know how important something like this may be to the OP, but the Lyman Quick Acting Chuck (my designation) also acts as a sort of rim thickness alarm. I ran into a bunch of new Win .308 brass that had several cases with out-of-spec rim thickness..I mean really bad...very thin. I'm not sure I'd have caught them otherwise, that lever flopped way over beyond where it should have gone. I think those rims would have made some trouble in my M1A.