PDA

View Full Version : Boxlock Flintlock - re-assembly of fizzen spring

CapeGun
09-18-2013, 04:34 AM
Unable to find any guidelines on the Internet, I dissembled the Fizzen spring from a boxlock flintlock to clean the dirt and grim off. Now I cannot re-assemble it. The sketch shows that the spring needs to fit in the recess of the frizzen and into the raised pivot holes. I have tried push fitting but my fingers are not strong enought. Attached in a photo of the firearm.

What is the correct procedure to use ?

Many thanks for all suggestions offered

ElDorado
09-18-2013, 05:07 AM
I don't know if they make a spring vise for that. That would be the first thing I would look for. Have you tried a machinist's clamp?

https://engineering.purdue.edu/MECL/pshop/projects/clamp/clampmain.htm

KCSO
09-18-2013, 09:35 AM
YOu need to make a special clamp to fit. I would start with a machinists clamp of about the right size and weld brass nubbins on it at the pressure points. Then tke one hand for the clamp and one hand for the screw and use the other hand with a screwdriver. Yes they are a bear!

lancem
09-18-2013, 09:38 AM
spring vise

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=2784

KCSO
09-18-2013, 10:04 AM
The darn box lock wount let you use the common spring vise as you have to clamp around the action of the gun. If it is a real emergency to get it back together use a small welding C clamp with tape on the bearing surfaces and the aforementioned three hands.

CapeGun
09-19-2013, 03:24 AM
YOu need to make a special clamp to fit. I would start with a machinists clamp of about the right size and weld brass nubbins on it at the pressure points. Then tke one hand for the clamp and one hand for the screw and use the other hand with a screwdriver. Yes they are a bear!

Can you provide a sketch of the above - not mechanical minded

Thanks

ElDorado
09-19-2013, 05:10 AM
I believe he means to use a machinst's clamp (see link in post #2), use brass or some other padding to prevent the clamp from marring the gun's metal, and get help because you're going to need three hands.