PDA

View Full Version : Some squirrel busters

NoZombies
09-18-2013, 04:22 AM
I just thought I'd post a few of my squirrel rifles, since the season starts before too long here.

Remington 581 converted to .32 S&W long. The rifle is wearing a weaver 1.5-4.5 with fine crosshairs. It is extremely accurate with several of my loads, turning in groups under 1/4" at 25 yards on a regular basis:

Next is the Hopkins and Allen 932 that has been converted to having a CF breech block, but the chamber has been left untouched, making it a .32 long colt. I haven't shot it yet, but considering the pristine bore and tight dimensions, I have high hopes. The scope is an off-brand shotgun scope 2.5X and the mounts are glued to the barrel:

And a H&A 932 that hasn't been converted yet (still .32 rimfire). I'm hoping to have the replacement breechblock within a few weeks, and then I plan to rechamber to .32 S&W long. The case colors are beautiful on the rifle, and the marbles tang sight is nearly immaculate. It's a really pretty gun, and I think it will be a joy to shoot:

StrawHat
09-18-2013, 07:36 AM
I like the Remington. I have long thought about such a project after reading about Ed Harris and his bunny guns. The single shots are pretty nice also but the Remington is one I need to go after. Are other Remington RF rifles usable?

Bo1
09-18-2013, 08:17 AM
Those are some nice rifles....

27judge
09-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Nice rifles. I shoot a Custom t/c contender with a pac-nor barrel in 19 Calhoon (22 hornet necked to 19 cal). Using a 32 grain bullet I get 1/2 groups at 65 yards at 2000 fps. A great Squirrel rifle.tks KEN

EMC45
09-18-2013, 10:37 AM
I like the Remington too.

NoZombies
09-18-2013, 01:08 PM
Thanks guys!

Some other remington actions that can be used:

540, 541, 580, 582, 591, 592. There may be others, but I've examined all of those, and I know they will work.

The 540 and 541 have the benefit of being factory drilled and tapped, instead of being grooved for the scope. I had to custom modify rings to hold tight on the 581 action. It's amazing that the only slightly increased recoil from the .32 (nearly imperceptible change from firing a .22) is enough to cause normal rimfire rings to move in the grooves.

rking22
09-19-2013, 07:56 PM
Nice , I like them ALL ! I have a Yildiz 410 with a 32S&W Long to try out ,a direct result of Mr Harris's writings! Gotta get a Skinner sight ordered ,then to the woods ! Mostly hunt with old Winchester or Remington 22 rimfires.

uscra112
09-20-2013, 10:54 PM
Why new breechblocks for the H&As? All it takes is a longer link.

Janoosh
09-21-2013, 12:24 AM
+1.. I have an H+A 932 and all I thought was a longer link to change it to centerfire. The hammer drop is strange though.

NoZombies
09-23-2013, 02:11 PM
I have a longer link, and it doesn't work for the .32's. At least, it doesn't work for mine.

The hammer isn't tall enough to hit the firing pin when the longer link is installed. I've considered extending the hammer, but decided new blocks were a better option.

The larger frame rifles that also had .22 rimfire barrels only needed a different link length.

I can't say definitively that all of the 932's are this way, but I've had a half a dozen, and all of them have been this way.

John Allen
09-23-2013, 02:15 PM
Hi All, just to confirm you can take the 32 rimfire and make a 32 long colt out of it just by redoing the breechblock? The bore slugs ok for this? This sounds like a great winter project.

NoZombies
09-23-2013, 05:14 PM
Hi All, just to confirm you can take the 32 rimfire and make a 32 long colt out of it just by redoing the breechblock? The bore slugs ok for this? This sounds like a great winter project.

The bores vary considerably from gun to gun. I have been fortunate, and my H&A's slug at .311 and .312 respectively. I have seen .32 rimfires that slug at .316 and heard of some larger yet.

The chamber dimensions between .32 long colt and .32 long rimfire are close enough that they can be considered interchangeable.

dagger dog
09-26-2013, 07:55 AM
:A H&A 932 that hasn't been converted yet (still .32 rimfire). I'm hoping to have the replacement breechblock within a few weeks, and then I plan to rechamber to .32 S&W long. The case colors are beautiful on the rifle, and the marbles tang sight is nearly immaculate. It's a really pretty gun, and I think it will be a joy to shoot:

That's a beauty, the a tang sight really makes it all the better !

The DNR here doesn't allow center fire for squirrels, if your talking tree squirrels, and the only ground squirrels we have around are eastern 3 stripe chipmunks. But that rifle will make a great ground hog gun.

NoZombies
09-27-2013, 12:28 AM
That's a beauty, the a tang sight really makes it all the better !

The DNR here doesn't allow center fire for squirrels, if your talking tree squirrels, and the only ground squirrels we have around are eastern 3 stripe chipmunks. But that rifle will make a great ground hog gun.

I'm looking forward to getting to shoot it, It's a real looker for sure!

That's too bad on the rules there, a .32 load equating the old .32 rimfire loads are really the bee's knee's when it comes to taking tree squirrels. Not really any more meat damage than a .22, but a lot more authority in making sure the shot counts.

Newtire
09-27-2013, 07:35 PM
I like the Remington. Are other Remington RF rifles usable?
Hi Strawhat,
I have 2-Remington Auto's, one older 550-1 and other a little newer. They shoot all 3-mixed or interchangeably. Only auto that I know will do this (I am probably wrong!). Any Remington .22 early vintage gun will shoot squirrels it seems. Can't go too wrong with about any early American made .22 as long as the bore is not rusted out.

Janoosh
09-27-2013, 08:07 PM
NoZombies, the problem I have with the H+A 932 is the hammer. In order for the hammer to work with a centerfire block doesn't the downward travel of the hammer drive the firing pin up? And this works? Nice guns by the way...especially the tang sighted one..

NoZombies
09-27-2013, 10:00 PM
NoZombies, the problem I have with the H+A 932 is the hammer. In order for the hammer to work with a centerfire block doesn't the downward travel of the hammer drive the firing pin up? And this works? Nice guns by the way...especially the tang sighted one..

Using the CF breech block I haven't had a problem. I've put about 50 rounds of factory .32 short colt through the gun at this point, and it didn't give any issue. Trying to get the FP to the right place using a longer link, I couldn't even get the hammer to make contact with the FP when the block was raised high enough to hit center. The one CF block I have in the scoped rifle came from a shotgun that H&A made on the same frame as the 932. It was originally chambered for .44 shot and had been reamed to .410. I wasn't sure I would trust the action with .44 shot, and I'm fairly certain I wouldn't trust it with a .410 shell! The block sits in the same place that the rimfire block does normally, and so the hammer gets solid purchase on the FP and drives it home properly.

I do like the little H&A's a lot. The tang sighted gun is so nice that I really wish I could get .32 rimfire ammo to use it without any alteration.

uscra112
09-27-2013, 11:34 PM
I have a longer link, and it doesn't work for the .32's. At least, it doesn't work for mine.

The hammer isn't tall enough to hit the firing pin when the longer link is installed. I've considered extending the hammer, but decided new blocks were a better option.

The larger frame rifles that also had .22 rimfire barrels only needed a different link length.

I can't say definitively that all of the 932's are this way, but I've had a half a dozen, and all of them have been this way.

Yah, OK. Mine had no problem in this regard.

uscra112
09-27-2013, 11:38 PM

Yes, it works. Stevens 44s and 44 1/2 rifles do that too. It's not optimal, but it does work.

Do keep loads light. The H&A hammer rebounds so it can't back up the firing pin against pressure. Never liked rebounding hammers for that reason, but I make an exception for the H&A.

LIMPINGJ
09-28-2013, 12:48 PM
I'll second what excess650 said and one more action to his list. I sure wish someone could bring back the Martini action back at a price the average guy could afford. Both large and small size actions.

Janoosh
09-28-2013, 05:28 PM
+1......LIMPINGJ...I've got two i'm saving for a special project. I wouldn't mind a "kit", and I think there is a market for them. Same goes for the H+A actions...especially the "Junior" models.

NoZombies
09-28-2013, 05:47 PM
I agree, it would be very nice to see some martini actions on the market again, as well as a modern made recreation of the little H&A Junior sized actions. Make them out of some nice modern metal with a good heat treat, and the little 932 sized action would be a great gun for a lot of different small cartridges.

NoZombies
09-29-2013, 01:25 AM
From what I can tell, a tighter twist doesn't seem to be a problem. I've fired everything from 60 to 150 grains in the 581 with it's 1-10 twist, end at any speed I've tried, they've been stable.

NoZombies
10-02-2013, 11:24 PM
You'll have to tell us how the little TC bullet does!

I've done some RB shooting with the remington, but it likes the little 60 grain HP bullet a lot better. It really does just put a hole wherever I point it, and for small game, that's a real benefit!

NoZombies
10-04-2013, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the report, keep us updated, I'm sure I'm not the only one interested!