PDA

View Full Version : Loads for the .44 - 200 DEWC GB

Dale53
10-26-2007, 08:17 PM
Don't get your hopes up. I don't have any information on loading .44 Wad Cutters. I am asking if anyone out there has any data. Our new GB moulds will be in our hands shortly (thanks to Jerry "GLL") and we will be casting and shortly loading them.

This has not been a particularly popular class of bullets in the .44 caliber (for reasons quite unknown to me) so there is not much in the way of information out there. I am on a trip (In SLC, Utah) so am away from all of my books. I don't know if Phil Sharpe's book has any data or not (I'll check when I return home in a few days).

I have a few older Lyman books and they will have some information with their LYman .44 WC but it extended out of the case and didn't reduce the case capacity nearly as much. That will produce a starting point and a suggestion or two for desirable velocity, maybe.

If anyone else has info, now would be a really good time to share it:mrgreen:.

Here is what I was able to find:

http://www.reloadammo.com/44sloads.htm

This has data for a 190 gr WC - that should be close to what we will be seeing.

I will be starting with 3.5 Bullseye or 4.0 grs of Win 231 with the new GB WC in .44 Special cases. My goal is an accurate load for paper punching with a secondary goal of using what works for paper for edible small game hunting. I expect to find what I am looking for in the velocity range of 750-850 fps.

Let's hear from the rest of you as we get our moulds, cast our bullets and start our loading. I have access to a Chronograph, so I will have chronograph data available and will share what I learn.

Dale53

dubber123
10-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Dale, I will be interested in seeing what you find. I was not in on this GB, but I have a Lyman 180 gr. wadcutter mould that I fooled with a bit, but only in my 10" Contender. I shot it at 50 yds, hoping for a light small game load. The Lyman wadcutter did not shoot well at all until the velocity was pretty high. I did not chronograph, but I expect the load was well past 1,000 fps. I was using Trailboss powder, and ended up loading it right to the base of the bullet. At that point groups were in the 3/4" range at 50 yds. for 5 shots. If you can get a lighter load to shoot well, it would be great.

Ricochet
10-26-2007, 10:18 PM
A 0.5 cc dipper (nominally 3.7 grains) of Nitro 100 is what I plan to try first.

testhop
10-27-2007, 10:54 AM
here is what i have
a 180 wc 9 g.r. 231 for 950 f.p.s
10 g.r.unique aprox 1000 f.p.s
i have a lyman 429303 a 200 g.r.pointed but should be close
19.0 2400 =950 f.ps
14 g.r blue dot=900f.p.s
you may try 5 g.r bulleye 6gr unique
hope this helps

tom

Ricochet
10-27-2007, 12:11 PM
I think that #429303 will be close. Flatten out that little spire point to body diameter and it won't be very long. Thanks for the idea!

Ricochet
10-27-2007, 05:47 PM
BTW, that load of 3.7 grains of Nitro 100 is where I'll start in the .44 Special case. I'll start a little heavier in the Magnum.

StrawHat
10-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Dale53,

I don't have any loads for the 44 DEWC, nor do I want any, but I did load a bunch of 45 wadcutters.

What I did was measure the length of the being surface and compare it to other bullets.

I found a couple of bullets with similar or longer length and used the starting info for those.

Eventually I came up with a pretty good recipe for the flat brute and use it quite a bit.

It is a great small game bullet and I hope your 44 does as well.

Dale53
10-29-2007, 01:08 AM
StrawHat;

>>>It is a great small game bullet and I hope your 44 does as well.<<<

Thank you. I believe that it will work well. I am just itching to start casting, loading, and shooting. It should be interesting. As I said before, I will share what I learn.

Dale53

Dale53
11-03-2007, 12:24 PM
Well, I got my mould yesterday and today I started using it:mrgreen:. After the obligatory scrubbing with soap and a toothbrush (I dried the mould over night). Then, this morning, I started up the pot. I pre-heated the mould on the hotplate. I was a bit impatient (who, me-e-e?[smilie=1:) so I really didn't give the pot time to get fully up to temperature. It took 15-20 minutes before the wrinkles disappeared. However, about the time the lead pot was up to temperature, things suddenly started working. I often find "wrinkles" normal when breaking in a new mould. Even though I scrub, whether the mould is iron or aluminum, it seems to take a bit when using for the first time to get things to start running well.

After that, it was clear sailing. One rap at the handle hinge when opening to loosen the bullets and a couple of "tippy-taps" and the bullets fall out. I haven't had a chance to measure them but expect them to be as Jerry measured. They look REALLY good and later this weekend, I'll have some lubed and loaded. I will have to wait until mid-week to get to the range and try them out. I am REALLY looking forward to this.

Using my alloy, the best casting temperature seemed to be 700-750 degrees.

Incidentally, Bullshop Sprue Plate Lube again saves the day. I opened the mould before the bullets were set up a couple of times and wiped molten lead over the top of the mould. A simple wipe with my leather glove covered finger removed the lead. Good stuff, that lube!!:drinks:

Dale53

Dale53
11-03-2007, 07:29 PM
I ran the initial bunch through the Star luber. The bullets measured .434" as Jerry had stated. However, the sizing effort was nearly "effortless" which kind of surprised me. Welcome thing, that. The bullets are good looking and the lube groove fills out perfectly with little jockeying with the sizing punch.

Thinking, while sizing, I ran through the reasons why full wadcutters came into being.

Early target shooters (most of whom were using the S&W .44 Russians), realized early that they could reduce recoil by reducing bullet weight. Sometime later, someone, figured out that when they reduced the bullet weight, that a desirable trait was to get as much of the bullet in the case as possible so that they could REDUCE case capacity to allow them to efficiently use light powder charges (the smaller the capacity, the better the burn).

Our new GB wadcutter seats nearly flush (only one tiny ring outside of the case) so it neatly reduces case capacity.

It is just large enough that is sizes nicely (in my case at .430") without distortion.

It should allow small powder charges to burn efficiently which will, hopefully, contribute to accuracy.

The lighter weight will reduce recoil and allow quick recovery. This will be quite helpful when shooting rapid fire in NRA revolver bullseye.

A secondary aspect of all full wadcutters is that they give maximum impact with whatever diameter that they have without depending on expansion. If cast of a soft enough alloy they WILL expand.

Our primary use will be to reduce recoil with accuracy. However, these should make dandy self defense loads at higher velocities (at least for the first cylinder full - gun load could be wad cutters and reload with an easy, quick loading RF design - all this if you believe in using reloads for this purpose.

Ed McGivern, the celebrated revolver shot, was a great exponent of using full charge wad cutters for serious social purposes. Jim Cirillo told me several years ago that the only guaranteed "stopper" was a wadcutter in the left eye (Jim was right handed and head of the New York Stake Out Squad).

I will next load up some trial charges for target shooting (anticipating velocities between 750- 850 fps) and report my results sometime next week. If things work well, I'll try to have some Ransom Rest results along with chronograph data (no promises as the weather will be the determining factor - but I REALLY want to do this).

Dale53

Buckshot
11-04-2007, 03:02 AM
................I don't know when they stopped, but the issue piece for the NYPD was a M10 S&W loaded with 160gr WC's. The slugs would go in, but seldom come out :-).

..............Buckshot

wonderwolf
11-07-2007, 02:16 PM
I used .44spl cases when I loaded the WC I tired out a while back...My notebook with the loads is at home with the rest of my reloading stuff.. I hope to bring it all back with me on my next trip home. I tried some 200gr and 180's with good results. If I get my hands on one of these extra molds then I'll get to see how one lube ring works over mulitiple.

When you guys size and lube...I'm guessing that one crimp ring gets lubed with the lube ring correct????

Dale53
11-07-2007, 05:09 PM
wonderwolf;
Actually, the way my Star luber is set up, I only lube the lube groove. There is certainly nothing wrong with lubing the "extra" crimp groove, but neither should it be necessary.

The hottest loads I shoot in a magnum revolver are typically with a Keith style bullet with one lube groove. Excellent accuracy and never any leading. So, I would expect zero problems with the WC regarding leading, etc. One groove is enough.

Dale53

Dale53
11-10-2007, 05:04 PM
I did manage to get to the range for a few minutes this week with the .44 wadcutters. I shot them from my 624 - 6" barrel Smith. Due to recent eye surgery I have somewhat less than perfect vision. I am waiting for my eyes to stabilize before I can be fitted for glasses (the good news is there is every reason to believe that I"ll have 20/20 vision with glasses). At any rate, with my defective vision and using open sights I shot several five and ten shot groups under 2" at 25 yards. However, I was able to do just about as well offhand. THAT is what poor vision will do to a feller. While, this is by no means a comprehensive test, I believe that "under 1" groups are attainable (at 25 yards).

In a couple of weeks when I have my "eyes" I'll run some real tests with chronograph data. Hopefully, the weather will hold until then. I much prefer 25 yards data over 50 foot data but if the weather is bad, indoors may be all that we have.

So-o-o, where are the rest of you guys? How about some results?

Dale53

dubber123
11-10-2007, 05:51 PM
I did manage to get to the range for a few minutes this week with the .44 wadcutters. I shot them from my 624 - 6" barrel Smith. Due to recent eye surgery I have somewhat less than perfect vision. I am waiting for my eyes to stabilize before I can be fitted for glasses (the good news is there is every reason to believe that I"ll have 20/20 vision with glasses). At any rate, with my defective vision and using open sights I shot several five and ten shot groups under 2" at 25 yards. However, I was able to do just about as well offhand. THAT is what poor vision will do to a feller. While, this is by no means a comprehensive test, I believe that "under 1" groups are attainable (at 25 yards).

In a couple of weeks when I have my "eyes" I'll run some real tests with chronograph data. Hopefully, the weather will hold until then. I much prefer 25 yards data over 50 foot data but if the weather is bad, indoors may be all that we have.

So-o-o, where are the rest of you guys? How about some results?

Dale53

Sounds like it is going to shoot very well for you. I didn't get in on this one because the 180 grain Lyman wadcutter mould I have did poorly at slow speeds, and I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that this one would too. The Lyman shoots very well at high velocity, I wonder how this GB mould will do?

Dale53
11-10-2007, 09:09 PM
dubber123;
I WILL find out what the wadcutter will do at both target velocities (750-850 fps) and beyond. I noticed that it cut a MUCH cleaner hole in the targets than my Keith bulets. That kind of surprised me, but it is a fact. I rather imagine that it will make a dandy edible small game load at target velocities and a DANDY self defense load. Cast rather soft (say 20/1 lead/tin) it should also expand quite well a relatively low velocities.

I have shot a goodly number of rabbits with the .38 wadcutters but since there was no readily available WC for big bores, I always just used a .44 Keith or a 200 gr SWC in the .45 Auto. At one time I had access to a Keith 452423 mould for the .45 ACP and I can attest to the fact that you don't have to shoot a rabbit twice with that bullet (and its VERY large meplat). If I could buy a new Lyman 4 cavity for that mould I surely would. Alas, it is out of production, also.

Dale53

wonderwolf
11-10-2007, 11:57 PM
dubber123;
I WILL find out what the wadcutter will do at both target velocities (750-850 fps) and beyond. I noticed that it cut a MUCH cleaner hole in the targets than my Keith bulets. That kind of surprised me, but it is a fact. I rather imagine that it will make a dandy edible small game load at target velocities and a DANDY self defense load. Cast rather soft (say 20/1 lead/tin) it should also expand quite well a relatively low velocities.

I have shot a goodly number of rabbits with the .38 wadcutters but since there was no readily available WC for big bores, I always just used a .44 Keith or a 200 gr SWC in the .45 Auto. At one time I had access to a Keith 452423 mould for the .45 ACP and I can attest to the fact that you don't have to shoot a rabbit twice with that bullet (and its VERY large meplat). If I could buy a new Lyman 4 cavity for that mould I surely would. Alas, it is out of production, also.

Dale53

Might wanna check on the 454423 group buy...Somebody was offering theres up for grabs I think. Just a thought...I know its not 452423 but its close

ebner glocken
11-14-2007, 12:26 PM
I didn't have much time to mess with this but, tried 7.5 of ww231. It shot a ragged hole @ 25 yards with one flyer. Load has promise just seemed hotter than I wanted with a wadcutter. Primer was federal LP.

Dale53
11-14-2007, 01:58 PM
I took my first trip in front of the chronograph with the .44 Special 200 gr DEWC today.

Used my Model 624 (6" barrel):
High - 750 fps
Low - 674
Extreme Spread - 76 fps
Average - 729
Standard diviation 29 fps

10 shots chronographed and averaged

Ran another five rounds over the chrono and it pretty much confirmed the first run.

Then I ran 10 through my 629-10 .44 magnum Light Hunter 7.5" barrel

High - 854 fps
Low - 716
Extreme Spread - 138 fps
Average 755
Standard Diviation - 40

Load in both revolvers was:
200 gr DEWC (Brinnell hardness was 12-13)Actual weight was 195 grs
moderate crimp in the crimping groove
Lubed with Emmerts (have now changed over to Lars Red)
Federal 150
5.6 7625
Lee Factory Crimp die with Dillon 550B

It is obvious to me that I need another powder for this velocity. I was pretty dern close to my target velocity (750 fps) and this information will help me pick another powder.

I am using up partial cans to cut down on inventory. My next powder will be Red Dot.

Before you ask [smilie=1:, I am fully aware that I need to shoot at least three rounds of ten to be accurate as to velocity. However, when you have swings this great, I don't need any more "testing" of this load.

I rather suspect, that a bit heavier on the powder charge would have this powder up and running. However, I need a 750 fps load to shoot indoors and for edible small game and this is what I am working on now.

While playing with this bullet, I couldn't help but envision this as a premier defense bullet out of a .44 Special (can you see one of those exotic frame lightweights with this bullet at about 900 fps? Did I mention that this thing cuts a big hole, Did I, HUH!??:-D

Dale53

45 2.1
11-14-2007, 02:39 PM
Dale-
For your next powder, try out Bullseye. It has given me very low extreme spreads and exceptional accuracy out of the 44 Special with the Lyman 429383 cast soft.

Dale53
11-14-2007, 05:25 PM
45 2.1
Thanks for the suggestion. I DO believe that Bullseye is in the right burning range for this task. However, I have some Red Dot that I need to use, so I will make a "detour" and try that next. Red Dot is in the same burning range and has similar characteristics as Bullseye, so the results should be similar.

I'll keep you all posted.
Dale53

P.S. Just think, I should have my "eyes" working in a couple of weeks and will be able to run some accuracy tests!:drinks: rdm

wonderwolf
11-19-2007, 01:58 AM
I got my load books and here is what I have with some other WC designs in the 200gr area with both spl and Mag cases.

>.44spl case with 9.0gr unique with CCI 300 primer shot in 4" 29 notes-Very light and controllable

>.44mag case with 15gr of 2400 with CCI 300 shot in 6" 629 notes- Extremely slow need to bump up several grains book recomends 18-24gr. (I'm not sure why I made this load up. I don't have a date written in my book about this but I'm sure this was when I was experimenting with how slow one could push a bullet). BUMP THIS LOAD UP IF YOU ARE GOING TO TRY IT**

> .44mag case with 17 gr 2400 also tried with 180JHP shot through 6" 629 Notes- Good midrange load, Will tip poppers but should stick with a powder like unique

>.44Mag case with 8.0 Gr Unique. CCI 300 notes-PPC load used for non reload stages. Great accuracy (this is the load I'm going to try 1st, I'll chrono them I didnt have a chrono at the time I did most of these loads which was when I was in high School)

I'm probably going to do all my load testing and stick with just .44spl brass. I have a Lee die set for .44spl I got for $5 (Other than this I try to stay away from lee) so I wont have to mess with my .44mag die settings which is a pain. 2 bullet weights are all I'm loading keith 250 and WC 200's....I havnt loaded a jacketed bullet up in years even though I'm sitting on several coffee cans of the 3/4 gas checked stuff

Sharpe's book I'm gonna say you would be safe using data from the 189gr bullet up to the 215 as long as you stay in safe parameters. IMHO unique makes for a good powder for this...(I'm biased since unique is what I use the most of and have the most of) he lists some bullseye loads starting at 3.0 going up to 6.5gr and getting 1010 FPS out of the last. with a 200gr bullet we are looking at 452 pounds of energy there. I've packed WC boolits in my 4" when I'm on the road sleeping in the back of my truck when I used to travel the state to shoot high power matches...I used to use glazers or blazers whatever those blue tipped bullets where.....As I was going through sharps loads..I see that the 260gr is a "sharpe" bullet....I looked but couldnt find a picture of such a beast. I'll let you know what else I dig up in my plethora of books

Blackhawk Convertable
11-19-2007, 09:06 AM
5.5 grains of Trail Boss is a nice fun load

Dale53
11-19-2007, 10:58 AM
I am primarily interested, right now, in target loads (750-850 fps). After my primary tests with 7625, I will be going to Bullseye or Red Dot in the 4.5-5.0 grs range. I will also probably trly Win 231 in the 5.0-6.0 range.

Blackhawk;
Under normal circumstances I would try Trailboss as I lilke its attributes for a target load. However, since I have made the commitment to get rid of a bunch of partial cans and kegs of powder, I am going to pass on this at this time. (trying to be strong here, as the allure of a new powder is strong):-D.

Dale53

felix
11-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Or 700X. Primers can be very significant in this application. The more spare powder space, the more the primer makes a difference. Shooting up, down, or level with these loads will also change ignition character dramatically. Short wadcutters need the straighest/shortest entry into the forcing cone as is possible/desirable. Quicker the better, too. Could very well take 6 months (off and on) to find the ideal load. Been there, done that many times with guns having fixed sights. ... felix

EDK
11-19-2007, 11:57 AM
I fired up the lead melter and the mould Saturday. Got a 3 lb coffee can full of boolits that looked ok as I cast them. Lubed, sized and loaded 30 to try in 2 Untuned 5.5 inch 44 Vaqueros. 20:1 alloy, 6.0 Titegroup, Winchester large pistol primers, used Federal brass, taper crimped, good case obturation. At 25 yards, I got 10 shot groups in the 2.5 to 3 inch range, which is slightly better than usual. I had several with two or three bullet holes touching from either gun. I haven't shot the 5.5 inch Super Blackhawk that Jim Stroh (ALPHA PRECISION) tightened up, taylor throated and did a trigger job on very much lately, but I think I could get an inch or less out of this boolit and some load work with a gun with known good accuracy. They sure make recognizable holes in a target!

Sunday I fired up the melter again and have another 3 pounder of boolits awaiting the Star lubri-sizer. I've got 2 cans of this boolit and another of the 44 SLIM group buy I got the week before. Only problem has been the learning curve for 6 cavity LEE moulds--doesn't want to open after it gets hot. Using beeswax while waiting for Bull Shop Sprue Plate Lube.

:castmine: :Fire:

GLL
11-19-2007, 01:16 PM
I am very pleased to see that this bullet turned out to shoot so well. I have not had time to experiment very much myself but look forward to coming up with a good load for my 6.5" 38/44 Outdoorsman.

Do any of you have targets to show everyone those clean holes?

Jerry

wonderwolf
11-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Or 700X. Primers can be very significant in this application. The more spare powder space, the more the primer makes a difference. Shooting up, down, or level with these loads will also change ignition character dramatically. Short wadcutters need the straighest/shortest entry into the forcing cone as is possible/desirable. Quicker the better, too. Could very well take 6 months (off and on) to find the ideal load. Been there, done that many times with guns having fixed sights. ... felix

You saying use mag cases then I take it? If so then theoretically we need a powder that takes up the most space. I wont do it with any of my 29's but when I get my 629 fixed I'll use some black powder loads see what comes of it

EDK
11-19-2007, 03:30 PM
I'm using magnum casings to avoid carbon build up in the chambers.

I think that the length of bullet jump to rifling from 44 Special casings could be detrimental to accuracy also. I'll do some testing and report back.

Besides that, I've got my 550 Dillon set up for magnum casings and only had to adjust the seating die since I'm using a taper crimp die also. I dropped the powder charge to 5.5 Titegroup and will try both that and 6.0 before I go to work today. (Second shift can be a pain, but at least you can go shooting, weather permitting. It's sunny and almost 70 in St. Louis at 1:25 PM Central...and even better tomorrow! I got some twice fired casings to create. LOL) Titegroup has worked really well for me. Shoots clean, cheap! and case expansion seems to be less than comparable 231 or Unique loads. Not position sensitive either. Good stuff.

:Fire: :castmine:

weakhand luke
11-29-2007, 08:10 PM
Thanks to an anon benefactor (boolifactor?) I was able to sample the GB WC. I had pretty good results with Clays. The ound was pleasant to shoot and fairly accurate.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff103/weakhandluke/dalebull.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff103/weakhandluke/clay.jpg

dubber123
11-29-2007, 08:17 PM
Thanks to an anon benefactor (boolifactor?) I was able to sample the GB WC. I had pretty good results with Clays. The ound was pleasant to shoot and fairly accurate.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff103/weakhandluke/dalebull.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff103/weakhandluke/clay.jpg

What gun, and how far?

weakhand luke
11-29-2007, 08:23 PM
50', indoors, sand bags. S&W Model 29-10, 6.5" barrel.

dubber123
11-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks, I have thought of joining an indoor club also. I have one about 15 minutes from the house, it's a 50 footer. I can shoot farther at home, but it's getting a bit nippy right now. I have a Lyman 180 grain wadcutter I'd like to get to shoot as well as you did at low speeds. I have only fiddled with it in a Contender, and it didn't shoot well except at high velocity.

wonderwolf
11-30-2007, 03:36 PM
I loaded some up in spl cases with 8gr unique...I'm tempted to try the 9.9gr load thats in sharpes book. I'm loading up a "sampler pack" to try out this weekend. since my 6" went back to the factory only my 4" and 8" will be used.

since I'm messing with spl cases I might load up some of Skeeter skeltons favorite loads using the 429421 and 7gr or 7.5gr unique.

wonderwolf
12-03-2007, 03:04 AM
The loads I loaded up amazed me. Very accurate at 50 yards with both 8gr and 9gr charge. Tested on some phone books that I obtained (2.5" thick) we shot through them dry since it was freezing out. They almost wanted to go through the 3rd book but went through two just fine and expanded to about 1/2" . Shot some of my standard Keith 250 with 10gr unique and a mag case and they went about the same depth to be honest. My friend who was testing H110 loads with his 8 3/8's smith got through 3 books with his hot loads

I was getting over 1200 FPS with the 9gr load easy. Had to give up testing cause snow covered the Chrono and it was starting to get dark. This 1 large lube groove does the trick I gotta say. :Fire:

Shot some of Skeeter Skeltons favorite Spl loads with 429421 as well...accurate load as well. rang the gong out at 200 a few times with this but the wind seemed to buck it...didn't get a chance to chrono that at all.

Dale53
12-03-2007, 03:13 AM
wonderwolf;
Just to clarify:
You were using 9.0 of Unique to obtain 1200 fps in what case??? Where did you crimp?

Dale53

wonderwolf
12-03-2007, 03:28 AM
Opps...2am has me trip'n....I was using all .44 spl cases with CCI 300 primers. We were having lots of trouble with the snow fouling up the chrono so I didn't shoot as many as I would have liked but out of my 8 3/8's they were going 1200FPS...I put a heavier than normal crimp on it in the topmost crimp groove. Primers looked good but the recoil felt like that with my standard .44mag load in the longer barreled pistol. It was noticeable which surprised me with that little funny looking wad cutter.

My buddy who was testing loads with me that day joked about loading them with a case full of black powder and seating on the bottom groove...[smilie=1:

We had 4 different S&W 29's out to play with that day but did most of our testing with the 8 3/8's, We were surprised at the velocity lost out of the 4" gun with other tested loads (about 150fps on some tested loads)

ebner glocken
12-05-2007, 04:13 AM
That load of 7.5 231 didn't seem to work well the second time I tried it. Tried something else this time. All using federal 150 primer, seated 1.340". Nothing was fired off a bench. All was fired laying flat on the ground flat on my belly, that was what was available today.

In a magnum case I first tried 5.0 bullseye, erratic.

Same casings 5.5 bullseye, less unburned powder groups shrank slightly.

Tried 6.0 bullseye:
Dan Wesson 6" bbl. 5 shot group in 1 13/16" 25 yd.
S&W 29 4" 4 shots in 7/8" unfortunatly the fifth opened it up to 4 7/8"

Ran out of time, hopefully one of us will hit "the magic load".

wonderwolf
12-17-2007, 01:46 AM
I did some further tests with unique at 75' and had good results on paper plates some clover leafs but the snow moved in and I had trouble seeing out that far and the chrono clogged again.

Ricochet
12-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Just got around to casting a batch of these, haven't loaded them yet. Dang, they're fat! .437" is the smallest measurement I got, and some of them run up to .440". Had a workout sizing them.

Dale53
12-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Ricochet;
Mine are not NEARLY so large. In fact, I am happy with the dimensions (it's been a while since I've measured them that I can't be specific but they were NOT fat). Have you checked to make sure that the mould is closing completely? There could be some flashing or something that won't quite let them close.

Dale53

Ricochet
12-30-2007, 05:18 PM
I did have trouble (as I typically do with 6-hole Lee moulds) keeping the blocks tightly closed, and had to discard a bunch that came out "finny." But the ones that came out when I'd been very sure they were closed tightly, that looked perfect, were .437" at the smallest.

GLL
12-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Ricochet:

Sorry to hear your bullets are dropping so VERY large.

Mine are 0.432-0.433" in WW+Sn and 0.433-0.434" in Lino ! I checked several other moulds that were shipped to friends and they were about the same. None were over 0.434" !
Mine size to 0.431 with almost no resistance in LEE sizing dies before thay are lubed and resized to 0430 in a Star.

Look your mould over under magnification to see if anything is restricting it from closing properly.

Jerry

Ricochet
12-30-2007, 05:20 PM
One thing I probably ought to do is carefully scrub away any Drop-Out mould release from the mating surfaces of the blocks. That may be my problem.

miestro_jerry
01-05-2008, 01:58 PM
I shoot the Lee 180 WC in my Super 14 and the ground hogs die when I hit them. I use about 10 grains of 231 for this load.

Jerry

txbirdman
01-05-2008, 09:41 PM
My short barrelled Super Blackhawk like the 208 Lee WC with 6 gr. of Red Dot.

wonderwolf
01-08-2008, 12:53 PM
I just got a whole nother box of these sized and lubed. And now that I have a seperate seater for .44spl I'll be more inclined to load more since I wont have to adjust my usual dies back and forth. :Fire:

EDK
01-13-2008, 12:15 AM
This boolit is unbelievably good!

I have been using 6.0 Titegroup in 44 magnum brass, WLPs, sized to .430 with LARS' 50/50, and a taper crimp. I had not been able to shoot since the 5th--OT and then day shift and dark when I get home-- so I wasn't expecting much and using the VAQUEROS to boot. The first three right handed went into 1 hole! Then I got nervous and the group went to 1.5 at 30 paces/25 yards.

I just ordered a .432 sizer die for the STAR lubri-sizer (also bought a 265 grain 432 RANCH DOG mould for the 1894 MARLIN COWBOYs) and I'm thinking the larger diameter might get even better accuracy. I've got a 3 pound coffee can full of unsized boolits at 11 Brinnell hardness to experiment with.

:cbpour: :redneck:

Dale53
01-13-2008, 12:55 AM
I am happy to hear the good results with the 200 gr DEWC. I haven't been to the range since my last report. Just been too tied up with magazine work, etc. I'll be out of town for a week, with work before leaving and after getting back. Too dern much to do for a "retired" feller...

Hopefully, things will taper off in the coming weeks and I can get some indoor range time with the WC.

Dale53

PAPABEAR
01-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Sure Have Enjoyed This Thread Wish We Lived In The Same Neighborhood Would Make R&d Alt Easier