PDA

View Full Version : New 1895 Cowboy

dubber123
10-26-2007, 07:18 PM
If all goes well, car doesn't break, plumbing doesn't spring a leak, etc., I will be ordering a new Marlin 1895 Cowboy next week. My question is, I have heard you can order upgraded wood through Marlin. Is this true, and how much extra if so? If it's reasonable, I'd do it, if it's too much, a standard grade will be fine. Thanks.

Lloyd Smale
10-26-2007, 07:24 PM
most dealers buy from distributors not directly from marlin. Its possible to find a distributor that will for a fee dig through the guns hes got and pick one with exceptional wood. i used to do that with ruger rifles back when i bought lots of rifles.

dubber123
10-26-2007, 07:31 PM
Thanks Lloyd, I could swear i read about the upgraded wood in a magazine within the last year, I thought they even showed a picture of the wood selection process, and how they kept any exceptional samples off to the side. It may have been wishful thinking on my part, but it was a pretty detailed dream then! I'll just be happy if I can get one at all.

45r
10-27-2007, 01:08 PM
You can get fancy wood from Treebonecarving.com for your Marlin.

dubber123
10-27-2007, 02:22 PM
You can get fancy wood from Treebonecarving.com for your Marlin.

Thanks, I'll have to give them a look. Have you any experience with the fit?, or do they offer inletted pieces that you finish?

Denver
10-27-2007, 11:01 PM
Not mine, just a heads up, a feller on Marlin Owners has one for sale @ $500.
Don't know what you have to give for a new one, but that's a good price.
When i get a few other projects caught up, I'm going to get new wood from Treebone for a Marlin 36 I just acquired.

:Fire: :castmine:

dubber123
10-28-2007, 04:09 AM
Not mine, just a heads up, a feller on Marlin Owners has one for sale @ $500.
Don't know what you have to give for a new one, but that's a good price.
When i get a few other projects caught up, I'm going to get new wood from Treebone for a Marlin 36 I just acquired.

:Fire: :castmine:

I got a price quote from a new shop I've been haunting for 620$. I think thats a good price, but probably not great. This guy is super service oriented, so I know any problem will be taken care of. Thats worth a little bit more to me. I got my Marlin 32-20 from him, and I will never get rid of that one. I hope this one is as good.

rvpilot76
11-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Would you be looking to put a Limbsaver recoil pad on it? If so, I've got an installed grind-to-fit that the gunsmith did for me. It's been installed to the original length of pull. If you're interested, I'd like to trade for your unaltered stock. The stock is brand new, and I've only put 8 rounds down the tube on my Cowboy. I can't use it as it's too short for use with my Marble's tang sight. Let me know it you're interested.

Kevin

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a271/rvpilot76/100_2363.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a271/rvpilot76/100_2362.jpg

dubber123
11-02-2007, 09:28 PM
I'll let you know. Most likely I'll keep the origional hard buttplate stock, but it does look like they did a nice job on your recoil pad.

rvpilot76
11-03-2007, 01:20 AM
Thanks. The difference when pulling the trigger is quite pronounced between the old "pad" and new.

dubber123
11-03-2007, 09:51 AM
Thanks. The difference when pulling the trigger is quite pronounced between the old "pad" and new.

Yeah my brothers Guide Gun with heavy loaded 440's kicks quite a bit, I don't expect this one will be much different. That said, I wish they came with a crescent steel buttplate! They just look so good on an octagon barreled lever.

jjamna
11-08-2007, 01:44 AM
I am hoping Santa Claus brings me one. L.O.L.

6pt-sika
11-08-2007, 10:06 AM
Thanks, I'll have to give them a look. Have you any experience with the fit?, or do they offer inletted pieces that you finish?

All there wood needs to be fitted by someone adapt at stockmaking !!!! I would say there stuff is about 85% inletted but it is far from drop in .

But the quality of their wood is second to none :drinks:

jack19512
11-08-2007, 12:35 PM
I got a price quote from a new shop I've been haunting for 620$. I think thats a good price, but probably not great.

I was at my local Walmart today and they have one for right at that price.

dubber123
11-08-2007, 05:55 PM
If my car doesn't catch fire tomorrow, I hope to be able to order it this Saturday.

dubber123
11-08-2007, 08:54 PM
I just called this shop, It's very small, as in maybe 12'X20', and asked what hours he was open Saturday. He said 9-2, but if it's later, just come by. Nice. He asked what I needed, and I said I wanted to order the Marlin. He said I didn't need to. Uh-Oh. He said what caliber do you want? He ordered and received Marlin Cowboys in .357 mag, .44 mag, .45 Colt, and 45-70. I said I wanted the 45-70, but really wanted a .45 Colt one too. He said no problem, I'll just lose that one in the dark till you want it. I don't like doing stuff like that, so I hope the .45 Colt one has really ugly wood or something. I can feel me doing something stupid already. Dang.

dubber123
11-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Put a few rounds through it today after the pistol shoot. 40 grains of H-4198, and a 450 gr. WFN GC. Round # 3 taught me to keep my mouth closed when you shoot. Bit my tongue! Seems to shoot OK, about 1" at 50 yds. Way low and a little left.

jjamna
11-14-2007, 01:55 AM
dubber123 Have you got to shoot it farther than 50 yards yet? Just wandering how it shoots. They shoot at 375 yds at our cowboy shoots thats what I want one for.

dubber123
11-14-2007, 09:31 AM
dubber123 Have you got to shoot it farther than 50 yards yet? Just wandering how it shoots. They shoot at 375 yds at our cowboy shoots thats what I want one for.

Well, lets just say I wouldn't want to compete at any 375 yard matches with this one.[smilie=1: I only have the one mould right now, and it seems to have a pretty narrow range where it's happy. It's a 450 gr. bullet, and I tried from 13 grs. of Unique, to 47 grains of H-4198. The Unique loads showed tipping at 50 yds, and shot in about 2", the hot 4198 loads were the last five I shot, and went right over my target board , so I can't say. A load with 50 grains of H-322 I had left over from my brother Guide Gun shot in just over 1", with very poor lighting. That load is over 1,800 fps. in his 18" barrel, so I'm sure it's faster in this long barrel. I wouldn't want to shoot 40 of those in a match either! I have fiddled with my mould and sizer, and have gotten a little fatter bullet. I am trying to get some more moulds to try. I haven't seen a Marlin yet that wouldn't shoot. Hope fully this isn't the one!

jjamna
11-15-2007, 12:16 AM
keep us posted

Dale53
11-15-2007, 02:50 AM
My Marlin 1895 is one of the early ones with conventional rifling. It shoots well. However, it had a curved plastic butt plate that had razor edges. I made a tactical error and fired it with some Marlin level loads in a "T" shirt. I was bleeding and bruised in just a few rounds. I called a friend and had a recoil pad installed post haste. Now, it is a practical rifle and a definite keeper.

Unfortunately, Ohio does not permit deer hunting with rifles (not all bad tho', all of my deer have been taken with handguns). They DO allow muzzle loading rifles but NOT cartridge rifles. So, I have only shot paper with mine:(.

Dale53

dubber123
11-15-2007, 03:40 AM
I tried a group with Lymans heavy 535 gr. Postell, single loaded through the port, and it shot into .415" at 50 yards, which I consider very good. My rifle has the conventional rifling, but it's none too deep. The rifling in my brothers Guide Gun isn't either, but it shoots cast very well, so thats probably a non-issue. I think the new gun will shoot well, I just have to find bullet designs that it likes. The heavy Postell would probably produce very good long range accuracy, but it's design isn't practical for the lever.

Vern
11-15-2007, 06:06 PM
I have had my 1895 for about a month now. It shoots extremely well. I have a scope on it for load development and I am getting groups that score 98-5x on the 100 yard target. My friend and I each bought one with the intent of using them in long range gong matches where we have to reach out to 600 yards. We have tang sights ordered from Lee Shaver. I haven't decided to use black in mine as I am having great results with 25 grains of 5744 and the Lyman 425 bullet. The gun is just sitting there begging to go deer hunting. Some day perhaps it will. Hold center:coffee: