PDA

View Full Version : QuestionNone sizing Lee TL casting

Grumpa72
09-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Sorry. The title should read "Question on sizing". Fat fingers and auto correct.

have three different Lee molds for the usual pistol caliber flavors but I really don't know if they cast "close enough" to not need sizing? Is it ok to cast, lube and then shoot them without running through a proper sizer? My .45 acp Colt loves them as cast but my Sig P226 9 mm is so-so on them. I am ready to start some .40S&W but wanted other opinions.

Thank you in advance,

Grumpa

Grumpa72@gmail.com

fecmech
09-17-2013, 01:06 PM
If you have no problems loading or chambering the finished cartridge why not? I'm assuming you're tumble lubing otherwise it doesn't save you any steps.

Grumpa72
09-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Yes, tumble lubing but some of the finished rounds are not clambering properly, thus the question. They almost appear as if they are either cast slightly oversize or not concentric.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-17-2013, 02:06 PM
well, ya can't have rounds not chambering properly can ya ?

I have a couple molds [out of many] that drop boolits that don't need sizing.
To best determine that precise size, you need to have a good 1" Mic and the ability to slug your guns.
OR
just a lot of trial and error testing
Good Luck,
Jon

PS, I have the lee TL 175gr. TC mold for 40 cal. they drop at .402 it's one of those perfect size for skipping the sizing....if you have a barrel that's 'to spec'.

Maximumbob54
09-17-2013, 02:11 PM
My Lee 9mm TL boolits are way too skinny and don't shoot in anything and not end up with leading and that's shooting them as cast unsized. The TL356-124-TC drops them if I'm lucky at .355" so I have some that I powder coated to see if that adds enough to them. Haven't shot them yet though. To be honest I'm just waiting on the 356-120-TC to get here already and start using it instead since if that casts skinny it will at least have a thicker driving band.

runfiverun
09-17-2013, 11:10 PM
too small is too small no matter how strong the drive bands are.

the reason I size everything is so I know it's all the same size, my boolits get used for everything from plinking to competition to hunting.
i'd sure hate to have something jam up when on the clock or when that one buck i'm lucky to see this or next year walks out.

Grumpa72
09-18-2013, 12:14 AM
too small is too small no matter how strong the drive bands are.

the reason I size everything is so I know it's all the same size, my boolits get used for everything from plinking to competition to hunting.
i'd sure hate to have something jam up when on the clock or when that one buck i'm lucky to see this or next year walks out.

May I assume from your comments that you use Lee molds?

NoZombies
09-18-2013, 12:49 AM
There are things that can change the diameter a mold drops, such as, temperature, alloy, and the pressure on the mold handles.

I've been running right along sizing a group of bullets, all dropped from the same mold, all passed the visual inspection and out of the blue, there's one that needs extra pressure to size. It's because that happens from time to time that I size everything. Nothing worse than chugging along at the range and suddenly having rounds that wont chamber.

Many people get away without sizing I guess. I've always figured I'd rather take the little bit of extra time at that step in the process than deal with the possible issues later.

hawgfan
09-18-2013, 02:50 AM
I have the same 40 cal mold and I have to size every one of mine.

inspector_17
09-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Long story short I NOW size all my boolits.

Wally
09-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Years ago I used the Lee .41 Cal 175-SWC-TL (#90462) in my Model 57. I loaded up a test batch..they shot/chambered fine. So I loaded up 500 unsized... Big mistake as many wouldn't chamber...lesson learned.