PDA

View Full Version : Desires of an old man

Stephen Cohen
09-17-2013, 07:38 AM
Sorry about the title but now that I have your attention. My health has taken a bit of a hammering the last few years, and it makes one think of what they want to leave behind to be remembered by. I picked up a nice 98 sporter with shot out 30/06 barrel. I have always wanted a big bore, and have thought a 450 Marlin would be a great gun to leave my brother, and of cause I could break it in for him. The thing is it is hard to get barrels at times, but I have located one with a 1 in 22'' twist and would like to know if anyone has tried this twist, I know 1 in 20'' is used by many manufactures. I planned on a 22'' length barrel as this seems to be about right for all my Mausers regardless of calibre. Any other info you may have would be greatly appreciated. If my next operation goes well, I hope to use this gun on an Asian water buffalo hunt, with my brother, in Northern Territory in the new year, this would make it special to him and I both.

Char-Gar
09-17-2013, 07:45 AM
Stephen...I hope all goes well for you and you can pop that big buff and have a great time with your brother. It never hurts to add one more great memory to life. Best wishes for you on this quest. Keep putting one foot in front of the other toward this goal.

Give my best to all those "down under" I have never met.

Stephen Cohen
09-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Well Char-Gar, every time you meet an old friend or hunting buddy, you have met one of us from down under. We hunters and gun owners are one the world over, we share the same honesty and passion regardless of where we call home. This site proves it every time Im here, and thank you for the good wishes, may you and all enjoy the same.

Artful
09-17-2013, 04:43 PM
1:22 will stabilize 500 grain 1.305 " @ 1800 fps - do you plan on going any slower than that or with a longer projectile?

Stephen Cohen
09-17-2013, 09:52 PM
I think that would be about where I want to be, should be a perfect weight and velocity in my view a nice 45/70 load in bolt gun.