PDA

View Full Version : Rossi 92 sights WAY off...looking at options

dunkel
09-16-2013, 08:51 PM
Tried a new load for my Rossi 92 .357 16". Recently got into 300 blk and realized that I can use H110 for both calibers. So promptly loaded up a few loadings to try in the Rossi. Put 21.5gr of H110 under a 125gr Hornady XTP. Very good results as far as consistency goes...holes touching at 25 yards and opening up just a bit at 50. Going to be my deer load this year...if I can get the other part figured out.

Problem is...all the holes are in the same place..just 5" high at 25y and 10" high at 50. Might be even higher at 75 or 100, who knows? I didn't test it further than that. Was actually kind of amusing...I was using a sighting in target with four circles with bullseyes...aiming at the center of the bottom bullseye, I shot out the middle of the top one, lol. However...that's not going to be good enough for hunting, obviously...

FWIW, when shooting other ammo, .38 reloads or even apparently not as hotly loaded .357, the POI is significantly lower...I know I'm pushing these loads pretty fast, but they're well below max and I'm not getting any signs of pressure or cracked necks or anything. From what I understand, the Rossi 92 is pretty strong, so I'm not concerned that I'm overloading anything.

For a field expedient solution, I built up the front sight with some duct tape, which did get my POI closer to where I wanted, but it wasn't very precise and threw off my windage due to the unevenness of the tape. I was considering buying a taller front sight, but not sure exactly how high I need it, or trying to build one up with some epoxy or JB weld or something, but was concerned about ensuring the sight remained square. Then I remembered seeing an adjustable peep sight on Steve's Guns or whatever that website is called...it's a little more expensive, but if it has enough adjustment, I certainly wouldn't mind paying the little extra.

Any thoughts?

BACKTOSHOOTING
09-16-2013, 09:04 PM
The Rossi 92s are known to shoot high. Might try a file in the rear sight and maybe a lower powder charge.
I use w296 powder [same as h110] but at 14.5 gn and a NOE 170 kieth style and shoots very accurate at 50 yds and runs 1625 FPS.
I put on a red dot last week and reduced my groups to 2"

Steve

Pb2au
09-16-2013, 09:19 PM
Most Rossi's tend to shoot high. Someone down in Brazil didn't do enough math to sort out the correct heights for the front and or rear sight I suppose.
I was lucky enough that my 92 shoots elevation wise pretty much where I expect it. Now windage, that was another story.
But like Back to shooting said, some cautious file work on the rear sight can sort out the problem I think. You can swap over to Marble's sights, and I believe Buffalo arms has a chart somewhere on there website to help select the correct heights.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/marbles_barrel_sights_pr-4087.aspx

I hope this helps. Good luck!

siamese4570
09-16-2013, 10:43 PM
Steve Guns has a nifty peep sight tha replaces the ugly (and usless) safety lever on the top if the bolt. Tha combined with the tall replacement front sight that he sells should fix you up. Worked for mine which had the same problem.
siamese4570

Jeff H
09-16-2013, 10:49 PM
The Rossi 92s are known to shoot high. Might try a file in the rear sight.......
Steve

If that's not enough, remove the rear sight elevator too. Mine shot to POA at 50 yards with this fix alone but I am not shooting any full-house magnum loads either.

I filed a notch in the back of my front blade and soldered in a brass insert to get rid of the crooked bead. It would be feasible to lop the front blade off, mill a notch (parallel to the bore) and solder, braze or weld in a blade with more height.

I eventually installed a Williams FP as low as I could and the front sight could now actually be shorter for that. I had to elevate the FP at least an eight of an inch to get POI up to POA at 50 yards. I may shorten it but not until I shoot what I think will be the stoutest load I ever intend to use. It's been so useful with moderate .357s and standard .38s that I haven't really experimented much with heavier loads.

dunkel
09-16-2013, 11:39 PM
Well, these are going to be hunting loads, so I'd be hesitant to reduce the charge as a solution to the problem.

Yeah, that peep sight is the most attractive option for me right now, but would it be able to adjust for 10"? Maybe the combination of both taller front sight and peep sight is the way to go.

I'll check out the chart on Buffalo Arms, thank you.

Glad I'm not the only one with the problem.

metalbender
09-17-2013, 12:20 AM
My 44 Ranch Hand shot crazy high too. Got a Skinner peep/ghost ring but still had to mod it to get the rear lower. Works good now, much easier on the eyes too. Good luck

Jeff H
09-18-2013, 09:04 AM
.....Yeah, that peep sight is the most attractive option for me right now, but would it be able to adjust for 10"? Maybe the combination of both taller front sight and peep sight is the way to go.........

If it helps, I didn't even pay full price for the Williams FP and it would have been difficult anyway because they were out of stock everywhere I looked for a compatible sight. I ended up with a new, old stock Williams FP for a Remington 740 for just over $20 shipped from that big auction site. Most of the back of the base was already flat and I made the rest of it flat with files and then cleaned it up lapping on abrasive papers over a piece of plate glass and paying attention to evenness with the mic' as I went. It is very slightly off center (1.16" maybe) because of the difference in receiver widths so I made a shim but the screws were too short and the guy at Williams was a bit "short" as well when I tried to order longer ones, so I skipped the shim and adjusted the windage to take up that minor difference. It's unnoticeable enough that I have had to point that out to anyone who has looked at it. One of the easiest D/T jobs I've done with the flat receiver.

dnepr
09-18-2013, 09:23 AM
Removing the sight elevator worked for mine with full power loads

KCSO
09-18-2013, 12:25 PM
Put on a Marbles rear sight. This drops you to dead on at 100. You need the 63 or 64 sight.

pietro
09-18-2013, 01:54 PM
Yeah, that peep sight is the most attractive option for me right now, but would it be able to adjust for 10"? Maybe the combination of both taller front sight and peep sight is the way to go.

You're rifle's POI is too high - adjusting the rear sight downward isn't the answer, given it's limitations, but raising the front sight is.

The bolt peep would normally require a slightly taller front sight to compensate for the peep sight's higher line-of-sight (higher than the open/iron bbl sights) - and your rifle might require a front sight even taller, due to your loads moving the rifle more than standard loads. (which is what's causing the higher than normal POI)

Talk to Steve ( www.stevesgunz.com (http://www.stevesgunz.com) ) about your POI issue, and he can recommend the proper height front sight, whether with your existing bbl sights, or with his bolt peep.

FWIW - My 16" Rossi .357 zeroed perfectly with a bolt peep & using factory 158gr J-word SP's.

dunkel
09-21-2013, 12:08 PM
Just got back from the range. Maybe this wasn't the ideal solution, but I took a file with me and started shaving the rear sight. Also filed down the V a bit. Crude, yes, but it offered a workable immediate solution, which is what I was going for right now. What I wanted to avoid was rushing out and spending money on something just to have it in time for opening day and ending up with the wrong thing.

Took about 20 rounds, but I got it to an acceptable point...about 2.5" high at 50 yards. That's acceptable for now, until I can get a better solution. Going to look at all the solutions offered here and see what would work best.

Ragnarok
09-21-2013, 01:54 PM
My stainless .44 mag M92 was perfect on windage..but shot considerably high. Removing the rear sight slider wedge got it close at 50yds but still somewhat high.

I put some cardboard under the rear sight to protect the carbine..and went to work on the rear sight. I recut the blade into a 'semi-buckhorn' and recut the notch with a tiny/skinny file. Then ground-off some on the bottom of the slider-wedge to get it to a workable point of aim.

A couple tries..and a bit of work on rear sight blade height with the Dremal and I had the M92 perfectly sighted in at 50 yds with 240gr bullets. Move the slider up a notch or two for longer shots and all's good now.

Mine wasn't all that bad..and like I said the windage was perfect from the factory. However I've read reports of some of these that were way-way off both windage and elevation!!

dunkel
09-22-2013, 10:03 PM
I was a few inches right from the factory, but that was easily corrected with a couple of taps on the rear sight. It's dead on left/right now.

knifemaker
09-22-2013, 11:06 PM
I bought a Rossi 92 in 357 mag. with a 20 inch barrel. The first thing I did was get on Steve Guntz's website and purchase his rear peep sight that replaces the safety and also his higher red fiber optic front sight to replace the factory sight. he also sells front sights with ivory bead and brass bead if you prefer that style.
I could not be happer with this combo. I have used 125 gr. bullets to 160 gr. cast boolits from 1200 fps to over 1600 fps and plenty of sight adjustment to get my groups where I want them to print at 25 yards out to 100 yards. Plus they look good on the rifle. I was very lucky that by centering my front sight my groups were dead on for windage and did not have to tap the front sight over to one side to get the proper windage adjustment.

jh45gun
09-23-2013, 02:40 AM
I put a higher Williams Fire Sight on the front of my Ranch Hand it works fine now.