PDA

View Full Version : Baikal 270

bstarling
09-16-2013, 04:11 PM
A while back I picked up a plastic stocked Baikal single shot in 270 Winchester. CDNN had them for $169 in various calibers, but by the time I got my order in the only had the 270's left. My first impression of this gun is that it seems very functional. Strongly made and pretty simple design, the finish is OK as well. This gun is light in weight, but I've never felt a trigger as tough as this one's. The pull was very impressive, not quite two fingers, but it might help. This rifle is light, very light. I took it to the range and ran a box of factory 150 gr Winchester Silver box through it. Wearing only a t-shirt, I got the full effect of the most considerable recoil. After a while the hard rubber "recoil pad" had pretty well beat my shoulder up. I had a few things that needed doing. The first order of business was the trigger. It turns out that this thing was simple to take apart, and more importantly, easy to put back together. I stoned the sear and hammer with a black Arkansas stone and got it nice and smooth. While I was at it, I worked on the foregrip to get the thing to open more easily. Both of those jobs worked nicely. The trigger had no creep and has a very nice light let off. The barrel breaks open now when the underlever is activated. I guess now it's back to the range and see if I can get it to shoot decent groups, now that I can pull the trigger without a yank.

I know this is sort of a ramble, but thought I'd share it anyway. I think this gun is a project when first taken out of the box, but it is coming around now. I've always been fond of single shots.

Regards,
Bill

MtGun44
09-17-2013, 12:25 AM
Heck of a price.

Bill

bstarling
09-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Yes, it was quite a deal on those things for a short while. They also had wooden stocked ones, Needless to say, they didn't last very long. I picked up two of the 270's but a friend talked me into selling one of them to him. I guess I really didn't need to of the same caliber anyway. They are actually well made out of pretty good stuff, just not in anyway fancy, but not crude.

Bill