PDA

View Full Version : What effect on depth of projectile ?

Atlast357
09-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Being new to BP revolvers, I am questioning the pressure effect
on the ballistics change if any ,with seating depth of a lead round ball over Pyrodex powder.
As with brass cartridge the depth of the bullit can change the pressure, but
is the same concern applied to BP ( Pyrodex or Black Powder )?
Reason for my question I am experimenting with or without , wads , fillers like cream of wheat or
grease over the ball, or just powder and ball and ball being seated down to touch
or tightly pack the powder ?

Scharfschuetze
09-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Atlast357,

I can't speak to the Pyrodex question, but it is generally best to seat a projectile down tightly over black powder and not leave any air space between the powder and the bullet. I would also recommend the use of grease over each charge hole to prevent flash over from charge hole to charge hole when firing and to provide some lubricant. There are probably better greases for this, but I've used Crisco baking grease for years with perfect success when shooting an 1860 Colt replica.

Sensai
09-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Don't leave any air gap between the ball and the powder. If you have to adjust the ball height for some reason, do it with a wad. Black powder, and black powder substitutes, do funny things when they get a chance to play in an air gap. Funny sheesh, not funny haha. They are entirely unpredictable and can cause anything from sticking a ball in the barrel to ringing a cylinder, or worse. There is just no advantage and no legitimate reason to not pressing the load solid.

44man
09-17-2013, 08:46 AM
BP can tollerate more pressure then subs but Pyrodex NEEDS some, just not too much. It tends to pack and not burn so you can shoot flares out the muzzle. It is not as good as BP in a cap and ball.
777 should not be compressed at all but don't leave air space. It is pretty sad in the revolver and cartridge loads.
With BP if you want a full load with no wads, just adjust so the ball does not stick out, your pressure limit is the seating ram anyway.
Crisco is not a good lube, cylinder blast will remove most from the next chambers. I found a BPCR lube is better, something like Mathew's works great. The lube keeps powder fouling soft so it is shot out with each shot. Chainfires do not come from the front, only from the rear, cap to cap or a cap against the recoil plate.
I really like Swiss FFFG in mine.
I like Pyrodex in my .54 Hawken and experiments showed a lot of variation so I screen mine to remove dust, the stuff breaks in shipment and the dust gets in the lower part of the jug. You won't notice in the revolver.