PDA

View Full Version : Torque drivers for firearms and scope applications

Love Life
09-15-2013, 10:16 PM
I've been perusing the interweb (invented by Al Gore dontcha' know) checking out torque drivers for firearms and scope applications. From what I have read, the wheeler is a no go.

I have been eyeballing the Borka system:
http://www.borkatools.com/pages/atd12/mtsd.html

I've also looked at other systems as well, but I figured I would ask the experts!

What torque driver do you currently use for firearms applications? Which do you think is best for the job?

I'm not trying to be too budget minded here, and I really want to buy the right tool for the job.

Thank you!

Artful
09-15-2013, 10:51 PM
I'd get either Wheeler Fat torque wench or one of the T handled ones.
https://www.huntingclub.com/blogs/articletype/articleview/articleid/14850/home-gunsmithing-tip-how-to-use-a-torque-wrench

http://www.protorquetools.com/cat-187-1-262/seekonk_t_handle_pre_set_slip_type_torque_wrenches .htm

http://www.belknaptools.com/preset-torque-wrenches/t-handle-torque-wrench/

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/wrenches/general-wrenches/nightforce-torque-wrench-prod41176.aspx

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=torque+wrench

and who knows you might get lucky on e-bay
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/seekonk-torque-wrench

W.R.Buchanan
09-16-2013, 03:48 PM
This looked pretty cool right up to when I saw the price. This tool appears to be well made however it would be somewhat awkward to use, much more so than the Torque Driver style of tool.

The Wheeler tool is $59.95 and I got a Weaver branded tool which was even less.

I see a product that couldn't be made for what it is actually worth. IE it costs him too much to fabricate to be able to be marketed at a more attractive price point.

If he just sold the lever arm by itself it should be in the $29.95 range in order to be viable. Then he could compete favorably with similar tools.

Just my Product Development .02 speaking here.

Randy

Love Life
09-16-2013, 04:02 PM
I see the price difference. My concern is that the reviews for the wheeler are 50/50. I own a wheeler screwdriver kit and it is garbage. The bits are soft and bend (flatheads), or the teeth strip on the bits. I don't Gorilla torque my stuff, they are just crappy bits. I haven't been a fan of wheeler products ever since.

W.R.Buchanan
09-23-2013, 12:14 PM
Bot a big fan of the Wheeler stuff either, just used it as an example.

The one I got is a Weaver brand. I'm sure they don't make it, but I'm also sure Wheeler didn't make it either.

The Brownells version is over $150 and that is hard to justify if you aren't a full time gunsmith.

Randy

Love Life
09-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Yeah, $150. is a bit much. However, It is nice to have the right tool for the job AND an accurate tool. I have to remove my barreled action from one of my guns to clean it every time, plus I swap a couple scopes around on all of my rifles IOT keep from having to buy a scope for each gun. I like that I can reapply the same torque (as indicated instead of by feel) to my actions and scope rings.

I'm kind of at the point in my life where I want to buy the RIGHT tool for the job and not the cheapest tool for the job. I'll continue my research...

Sensai
09-23-2013, 03:24 PM
I have the FAT wrench and haven't had any problems with it. I bring it in to the metrology lab at work and check the calibration every now and then. Never had to adjust it, it's always been within the limits of the ones we use here. I promise you, they're not the cheap one's either!

starnbar
09-23-2013, 03:56 PM
I use torque wrenches all the time get a decent inch pound wrench and some decent bits and you will be good to go.

Love Life
09-23-2013, 07:53 PM
I reckon I'll give the fat wrench a go. I'll order from Midway so if it sucks I can return it.

Artful
12-01-2013, 12:34 AM
I reckon I'll give the fat wrench a go. I'll order from Midway so if it sucks I can return it.

Report Please, my friend has a Wheeler and seems to work fine - how's your experience so far?

Love Life
12-01-2013, 12:41 AM
Haven't ordered one yet. Still debating whether I want the fat wrench or whether I want to buy once and cry once with a different maker.

Artful
12-01-2013, 02:14 AM
Did you see this on the Midsouth site
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00036NA888445&clicks=pak2
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/product_images/036-NA888445/036-NA888445.jpg

Torque Wrench Kit
ALTRACO

Torque Wrench Kit

Comes with 19 Bits:
- Allen Bits 1/16”
- Allen Bits 1/8”
- Allen Bits 3/16”
- Allen Bits 3/32”
- Allen Bits 5/32”
- Allen Bits 5/64”
- Allen Bits 7/64”
- Allen Bits 9/64”
- Flat Bits #1
- Flat Bits #2
- Flat Bits #13
- Flat Bits #18
- Flat Bits #24
- Torx Bits T10
- Torx Bits T15
- Torx Bits T20
- Phillips Bits #0
- Phillips Bits #1
- Phillips Bits #2
- Square Drive Adapter

This item is regulated by the US DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE and may require an EXPORT LICENSE for international orders.

Now $38.30 $29.95
Item: 036-NA888445

Love Life
12-01-2013, 03:09 AM
Looks the same as the wheeler, but a different color. It's definitely cheap, but with something like this is cheap really that cheap?

Artful
12-01-2013, 05:10 AM
Midsouth policy on returns

What about returns?
Returns should be made within 30 days of purchase. All returns must be authorized by Midsouth. Call 1-800-272-3000 for return authorizations.All returns must be accompanied by a copy of the invoice. Ship all authorized returns to:

Midsouth Shooters Supply
Returns Dept.
770 Economy Drive
Clarksville, TN 37043

No COD returns will be accepted. All returns will be inspected by our Return and Exchange person to determine the correct disposition. Returns of non-defective merchandise is subject to a 20% restocking fee. The customer is responsible for return freight, COD charges, credit card fees and up to 5% for repackaging. Return freight must be prepaid and the items must be insured for the customer?s protection. Credit for returns or exchanges will be made via the same payment method that was used for the order. Midsouth will be entirely responsible for any problem that we generate.

Some manufacturers require customers to deal directly with them for returns. Check with our Returns Manager about your return. After 30 days, all returns should be made to the manufacturer for repair or replacement. Software, gunpowder, primers, percussion caps, loaded ammo and liquids cannot be returned.

for that price it might be worth a try, I'll sleep on it - if I can get to sleep

FishingFool
12-01-2013, 05:33 AM
I have the Borka. Well worth the money. You'll actually use it more bc it's a nice package and packs easily.

W.R.Buchanan
12-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Love Life: all of these torque drivers work the same way. They have a spring loaded ball that sits in a hole. The higher the torque value that harder the ball is loaded into the hole. When you reach the preset torque the ball pops out of the hole.

Everyone must understand that these tools are all about getting all your screws tightened to the same torque, whatever that may be.

Seldom are they going to deliver the exact torque value that they are set to. But they will be close, and close is good enough for any realistic purpose on a gun. Usually they come with a calibration tag which tells you what the "actual torque value" is, compared to the "set torque value." A few IP difference is not going to affect anything.

Once again, the important point is to have all the screws tightened to the same torque value.

My Weaver one looks exactly like the one shown above except the handle is Black and the adjustment cap is Green. It comes in a Green plastic case with a few bits.

I highly recommend Brownell's screwdriver bits as excellent quality. In fact everyone should really have a Brownell's Screwdriver set if they are going to work on guns. This is definitely a place where you should "buy the best and only cry once!"

One last point: When you are done with a adjustable torque wrench of any kind, you ALWAYS return the adjusting knob to the "lowest setting" on the tool,,, not below or above. This keeps the spring at the same tension it was calibrated to, and preserves the calibration of the tool.

Randy

Love Life
12-08-2013, 05:35 PM
I may give the midsouth one a try. I'm playing with an expensive rifle and scope and don't want to goon it all up, so that is why I'm leery.

cbrick
12-10-2013, 12:25 PM
that is why I'm leery.

Hhmmm . . . Didn't know you were Irish. :mrgreen:

Rick

MT Gianni
12-10-2013, 12:32 PM
I have a fairly expensive inch-lb torque wrench [0-600 dial type] that I use several times a day for work. I recently bought a 3/8 twist adjustment china import brand that has repeatable accuracy. It is nowhere near as accurate as the dial gauge but it is repeatable whiich is what i want for torqueing a gun screw. With a 1/4" socket I have plenty of quality driver bits to run in it.

selmerfan
12-12-2013, 10:35 PM
I have the Wheeler and it works just fine for assembling rifles and mounting scope. Return it to the zero setting, put it away, get it back out again. As for soft bits with the Wheeler - I haven't bent a bit or stripped a bit...

Love Life
12-12-2013, 10:51 PM
I ended up buying the wheeler. I like it so far.