PDA

View Full Version : fire lapping 45acp ?

porthos
09-15-2013, 08:47 PM
I have a Wilson 4 inch that is giving me fits with leading. been up and down the loading and bullet scale. it leads with a ring of lead at the throat, with some streaks. I started with Missouri 200 gr semi wad cutters @ 12 bhn all loads are 800-850 fps 231, and v-310. 3 different 200gr swc and hornady 200gr swaged swc. get this ; the only bullets that didn't lead were the hornady swaged and Missouri that I hand tumbled in liquid alox. it gets better, I called Wilson with the problem. sent the gun after finding a burr and thinking the bbl wasn't seating in battery properly. they had the gun a short time , called me and said everything is fine now. they fired 50 rounds wiped with a dry patch and there was no leading. well not with my loads. by the way these loads don't lead in any else's 45 auto's. now to the ?????s I've fire lapped and hand lapped rifle bbls. but, unless I missed it, I haven't read anything about fire lapping a 45acp auto. I think that this would be a interesting experiment and if I have to trash the bbl., I don't care. i'll replace it with a bar-sto, or something. by the way i'm the 3rd owner of this gun. I really don't think that Wilson would mislead me on their service of this pistol, but, I don't want to double lube bullets because I shouldn't have to. advice on fire lapping , please.

porthos

Love Life
09-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Have you slugged the barrel?

Catshooter
09-15-2013, 10:10 PM
LL has asked the first question. If it's .454 that might be your problem.

I have fire lapped a number of 45s. I did one as it was leading even with boolits that were .002 oversized. You could see machining marks running perpendicular to the bore, which usually isn't good. After lapping the leading disappeared.

But I would check fit first.

And welcome to the forum.

Cat

tomme boy
09-15-2013, 10:36 PM
OK, the slugging has been asked.

Now, lets hear about how YOU load your ammo.

How much you are belling the case.

How you are seating the boolit.

How you are crimping the case.

Are you using a LEE Factory Crimp Die?

What are you setting your Crimp at for measurement?

What is the OAL for the style of boolits you're using?

Answer these ?'s and then we can help you out a little more.

NoZombies
09-15-2013, 10:51 PM
The fact that some loads aren't leading at all tells us that there is most likely a simple solution to the problem.

As has been alluded to, the issue is quite possibly the size of the bullet compared to the size of the barrel. If I had to guess, you are probably shooting a too hard bullet that's too small for your barrel.

MtGun44
09-15-2013, 11:44 PM
Lube issue, my bet.

Bill

nickE10mm
09-16-2013, 02:46 PM
The fact that some loads aren't leading at all tells us that there is most likely a simple solution to the problem.

As has been alluded to, the issue is quite possibly the size of the bullet compared to the size of the barrel. If I had to guess, you are probably shooting a too hard bullet that's too small for your barrel.

THIS^

All this talk about what it could be but the OP hasn't slugged his barrel yet! O_o :)

I'm sure the issue is fit....

nickE10mm
09-16-2013, 02:54 PM
In addition, don't buy any grit or lap anywhere else other than the above sources.

gray wolf
09-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Slug the bore--size .002 over.
Just a thought, but do we need three post on this ?
Just sayin

BD
09-17-2013, 09:56 PM
Ring of lead at the throat is boolit to large for the bore in combination with no throat. Not uncommon on new 1911s. First thing would be to try sizing .451 to fit your bore which is likely .4505.
BD