PDA

View Full Version : trouble with my 44 mags

testhop
10-26-2007, 09:42 AM
i am getting raped hard by the trigger guard on thojoint of my middle finger
whn iam shooting full loads in my 44si have tryed changing the grips also, custom
grips and any thing i ever heard of i know i am not the only one who has this probum so let me if you have come up withany ways to solve it
now i have been thinkingabout makinthe righ grip thicker than the left may be by putting a spacer under the right grip and if it works then have a set made what
do you think:coffee::castmine:

tom

james snodgrass
10-26-2007, 10:22 AM
You didn't say what model is doing to you.

targetshootr
10-26-2007, 11:17 AM
If it's a Super Blackhawk you may have to use rubber grips like Pachmayrs. The seem to work on mine even though they're butt ugly.

redneckdan
10-26-2007, 11:44 AM
I noticed the same problem with my blackhawk in .44 On a whim I tried shooting it with a one hand hold last weekend while out blasting with some friends. I'll be darned it if hurt less to shoot it like that...this was even with serious loads 250gr LSWC with 16.0gr of Blue Dot. Tuesday night at the range I tried using 'cup and saucer' hold, the gun recoiled up like shooting with one hand but the support hand helped increase accuracy....and no more black and blue knuckles.

I assume that when I held the gun with both hands wrapping the grip, like I would the model 19, my arms would keep the gun down during recoil causing the grip to slide through my hand resulting in the trigger guard smacking my finger...the energy has to go somewhere. With only one hand controling the recoil the force moved my arm up in an arc, taking some of the energy that otherwise would have forced the grip through my hands.

9.3X62AL
10-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Neoprene grips help some shooters, but hinder others. Some shooters like a plow-handle single action revolver to "roll up" in the shooting hand under recoil, others want to manage it by restricting roll-up. I resorted to a pair of PAST shooting gloves with the hard-kickers, and they enable longer shooting sessions with greater comfort while running the BlastMasters.

AlaskaMike
10-26-2007, 12:46 PM
I know that some guys like the Magna type grips from S&W, or the stock Redhawk grips, but I can't stand them. My knuckles get beat up on a heavy-recoiling gun with Magnas every time. I've tried Hogue and Pachmeyer rubber grips, and while they help alleviate the knuckle-busting, they grip the skin of my palms, and after about 15 - 30 rounds, depending on recoil, I'll get a nasty blister. Of course it's fine if I've got shooting gloves on, but I don't really like gloves if I can help it.

The fix for me was Eagle's Oversize grips without checkering. I can shoot my hottest loads all day long without problem. You can check them out at http://www.eaglegrips.com/oversize.htm but I don't think their picture is very good. You can see a pair of their ebony oversize grips on my S&W 29-2 here: http://www.tibor.org/mod-29.jpg (not that that's such a great picture either, but it's another example).

The thing is though, everybody's different and what works for me may not work for you.

Mike

Dale53
10-26-2007, 03:20 PM
I have a recoil problem with any "robust" caliber at the base of my right thumb. Even a .357 causes discomfort in that area. My solution, arrived at MANY years ago, is just to use Packmayrs. You can pick from several different types. I now prefer the Decelerator finger groove types for both my round butts and square butts. They are certainly not the prettiest out there but for me that is absolutely irrelevant. My guns get SHOT and what works is what works!!:-D

However, everyone of us is different both physically and mentally and we have to work with what we have to work with :-D:-D.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Dale53

Lloyd Smale
10-26-2007, 03:26 PM
blackhawks dont bite me but supers do terribly. I had my nuckle actually operated on twice for bone spurs from them dammed things. I wont own another. If i were you id look for a bisley grip frame or at least a blackhawk frame or peddle it and buy another gun.

44man
10-26-2007, 10:07 PM
Yep, them butt ugly rubber grips are the only way. I shoot the SBH with 330 gr boolits and 21.5 gr's of 296 without pain. My Vaquero got rubbers too with the 347 gr boolits. Also my .475 and 45-70 with no problems.
Here is what shooting 82# bows does to the knuckle that holds all the weight. Stick THAT against a SBH trigger guard for a few shots. Yeah, it's old too, I'm almost 70.

Lloyd Smale
10-27-2007, 05:55 AM
Have to chuckle as my nuckle looks about indentical other then some scaring.

44man
10-27-2007, 08:04 AM
Thats why a Bisley tears me up. The shape moves the whole grip closer to the trigger guard. They feel good until I pull the trigger! :(

testhop
10-27-2007, 10:20 AM
Yep, them butt ugly rubber grips are the only way. I shoot the SBH with 330 gr boolits and 21.5 gr's of 296 without pain. My Vaquero got rubbers too with the 347 gr boolits. Also my .475 and 45-70 with no problems.
Here is what shooting 82# bows does to the knuckle that holds all the weight. Stick THAT against a SBH trigger guard for a few shots. Yeah, it's old too, I'm almost 70.

44mani know about old igot you by 6 years ant a shame that thay waste
the youth on those darn kids
if i knew i was going to live so long i would have took better care of myself
but if you look at it we have have lived long we just just havent enjoyed it all yet

tom

44man
10-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Just never give up beer or booze, shame to waste drinking time too! :drinks:

oldfart
11-02-2007, 05:30 PM
try a set of herret grips on the ruger

454PB
11-02-2007, 11:06 PM
I sold my Super Blackhawk about 20 years ago, and it took another 10 years for the bone chips in my middle knuckle to dissolve.

I now use Uncle Mike's shooting gloves when firing anything bigger than a .357 magnum. They help, but I still sometimes loose a patch of skin at the big thumb joint when shooting much .454 Casull. The skin is literally rolled off in recoil. The first thing I did on my Ruger SRH .454 was remove the OEM grips and install a set of Hogues. One cylinder full had me bleeding with the stock grips.

Dale53
11-03-2007, 12:18 AM
454PB;
I would "make fun of you" but I have nearly the same problem :mrgreen:. I, long ago, converted to Pachmayr grips on all of my revolvers and Contenders. I can shoot heavy .44's with reasonable comfort and NO injury. I shoot LOTS and this was a necessary change for me.

Now that the hot weather has left us, I will be casting up some 300 grain gas checked bullets to try in my Taurus Raging Bull 454 Casull. It, at least, came with a DANDY set of grips ("out Goodyeared", Goodyear :mrgreen:)!!

Dale53

44man
11-03-2007, 09:03 AM
I got over the appearance thing long ago. I love a set of custom grips or even the factory wood but they are just not practical for heavy recoil. My friend is different, the gun has to LOOK like a million bucks even if he can't handle it. I told him to get both sets of grips and put the wood on at home for show and put the rubber on to shoot. One cylinder full and he went home to order the rubber grips. :mrgreen: I had to laugh at his expression with each shot.

Lloyd Smale
11-03-2007, 10:27 AM
one small bit of advice that helps me with supers is to make sure your not choking up on the grip. If anything try griping the gun lower. this is why alot of guys dont care for bisleys. they try to choke up on them like a plow handle grip and they should be griped about as low as you possibly can. The low grip helps me with all single actions.

nicholst55
11-03-2007, 11:46 AM
The Super Blackhawk HUNTER gripframe is rapidly becoming popular for hard kicking Ruger SA revolvers. It's longer than the standard Blackhawk gripframe, but lacks the squared trigger guard of the standard Super gripframe.

I live in a backwards state (Democratic Peoples Republic of Maryland) where guns are evil, and I don't get out a lot, so I haven't personally examined one yet. It might be worth looking into, though.

Char-Gar
11-03-2007, 03:10 PM
In re, the 44 mags banging the knuckle

1) Smith and Wessons DA don't do this to me.
2) All Ruger SA do this to me, regardless of frame style

Here is what I know can be done to help the problem

1) Wear a shooting glove
2) Wrap the knuckle with tape
3) Use lighter loads
4) Use those yucky rubber grips

Lloyd Smale
11-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Charger has some ideas that might work for you but to me the rubber grips just cause me other problems with real heavy recoil. They dont allow for the gun to roll in the hand like a single action should and they themselves will take skin off your hand with real big guns. If i use a wrap on my nuckle or a shooting glove it just takes up room between the trigger guard and my nuckle and compounds the problem and gloves allow enough sliping and sliding between themselves and your hands to allow a gun to recoil slightly differently every time and big recoiling gun need to be gripped exactly the same each time to get the best accuraycy out of them. If you doubt this take your big bore and shoot it off hand with a shooting glove on then shoot it bare handed and look at your point of aim and accuaracy. Now if your going to sight in your gun and practice with a glove youd better make sure you either use it hunting or at least check your zero in various field positions with and without it. It may not effect you but i know for a fact it effects me. Theres two things that really help me that is a proper shaped grip. It amazes me the suble little things someone like dustin linebaugh changes on a bisley grip can make so much differnce in controlablitity of a gun. They at least work for me. Grips need to fit your hand in a big gun and everyones hands are differnt and its crazy to think that what ruger makes is perfect for everyone. The other thing that works is chargers #3. Alot of guys are just shooting loads bigger then they should be at there skill level and theres no real reason to do it. A 100 or 200 fps is not going to make your gun a dammed bit better in the hunting field. I shoot alot of big handguns and to me when you step it up over heavy 44 mags and 45 colts there are only two alternitives. one is the Bisley and the other is a the FA grip frame. Ive shot 500 linebaughs on standard blackhawk grip frames and beleive me its not an experience i want to repeat! Ive got two custom 45 colt rugers that are both on the light side and I use both of them for loads that i probably shoudnt and ive had them together at the range many many times and have had guys that were both experienced handgun shooter and inexperienced handgun shooters and have yet to have anyone tell me that the blackhawk grip was more comfortable then the bisley. I agree that when it comes to shooting loads up to say a 300 at 1100fps its a subjective thing but when your pushing 300s to 1300 out of a light gun a bisley is the way to go hands down. At least if you dont want those hands to bleed!!! If you doubt that just try getting Linebaugh, clements or bowen to build you a 4 5/8s inch 475 on a standard blackhawk and see what they say.

45r
11-06-2007, 09:48 PM
There is a good article in the latest issue of handloader showing some nice looking Herret stocks that help a lot with recoil.The only revolver with factory stocks left on mine are the ruger bisley.I like finger-groove rubber grips on my S&W's and Redhawk.

CSH
11-07-2007, 06:04 PM
My SBH also did a number on my knuckle, so at the recommendation of a shooting buddy I bought a Hogue grip. It was great with 240 grain pills, but when shooting 310's at full power it would rip the skin off my hands. Finally bought a set of smooth Herrett's that fill in behind the trigger guard and can shoot the 310's all day with no problem. The trick is mostly in filling the space behind the trigger guard (the Hogue did that), but you also don't want anything too grippy for the really hot loads.

44man
11-08-2007, 01:14 AM
That is strange and I hear it all the time. I have shot as many as 400 heavy boolits in a day with Pachmeyer grips and never even roughed up my hands. Not even a red spot. I only hold the gun snug too. The grip pushes more straight back, sort of like a Bisley, unlike the wood panels that tend to roll more. They never hurt either, just the trigger guard.
My S&W with the checkering would checker my hands. Never cut or anything but the pattern was there.
I read about guys getting the web of their thumb cut and the only way for that to happen is a real whimpy grip. You have to hold the gun, not a death grip and not a limp wrist thing either. I get a kick out of the magazine pictures showing how much recoil a gun has with the barrel pointing straight up and the guys hand still pointing at the target.

Three44s
11-13-2007, 01:36 AM
My goto powder for .357 through .44 mag. is HS-6 powder running in the mid 20K range pushing lead.

Recoil is sublime for the work done.

Three 44s

Mayor
11-19-2007, 01:14 AM
My solution (your mileage may vary) was to replace the grip frame with a Vaquero one. Really simple and frames are out there, try the SASS wire classifieds. Remember that the part of the grip that transmits force into your hand is the back. Thinner grips will apply more recoil to the palm of your hand. This is why so many people find the S&W .500 so uncomfortable.

Blackhawk Convertable
11-19-2007, 09:17 AM
If you want to swap grip frames, give me a holler. I put "Super's" on all mine, so I'm sure I have a few of the "regular" grip frames lying around...