PDA

View Full Version : Another "noob" question . . balance beam scales vs digital - getting more confused

bedbugbilly
09-15-2013, 04:05 PM
New to reloading - will be reloading 38 spl - pretty straight forward stuff. I've ordered my press and dies and some related . . . but now I'm down to making a decision on "scales".

Will primarily be loading target loads - want to start out with "Trail Boss" if I can find any - if not, then one of the old standards . . .

I'm used to loading BP by volume . . . well aware that smokeless is by weight. I'd like to be able to utilize dipper charging . . . weigh out and find one of the Lee dippers . . . or make one . . . that will do a consistent measurement. (I know being consistent is important). So, weigh out a 3.4 grain starter load for example . . . and once a correct dipper is either used or made . . . dip with checking every 10 rounds or so for consistency.

I'm getting confused on what would be a good beam scale or digital scale to get . . for what I'm doing, I really don't see the necessity of getting both as I'm trying to keep this introduction to reloading on a budget. :-) I know everyone has their own "likes and dislikes" - but I'm reading reviews on both types of scales and they all seem to be "middle of the road". I think a beam scale would be sufficient for what I'm doing?

And then I read reviews where . . . "I compared the weighed load on my beam scale to what it showed on my digital scale and they were the same". I guess I'm scratching my head as if you have a scale that works (either beam or digital) why do you need one or more of both types?

I know you get what you pay for, but I really don't want to break the bank on a scale. Right now, I'm sort of looking at the RCBS 505 beam scale (even though it wouldn't match my Lee turret press :-) ).

Sooooo . . . can you experienced folks give me a little help on this? Is a beam scale sufficient for what I'm going to be doing (loading primarily 38 spls. to plink with)? If so, some suggestions on a make or model of one that the current production of (not something that's 30 years old as we all know how production has cheaped up) is good enough to be used for what I'm loading up.

I know from what I've read that I'm safe with the Trail Boss but if I can't find it, I need a scale that will work well with the old standbys as well. Something that will give the tolerance of + or - a tenth of a grain or close enough that if I were to load something towards the maximum that I wouldn't be over and get in to trouble? Many thanks.

jmort
09-15-2013, 04:09 PM
RCBS 505 beam scale

Good place to start. Get a digital scale next.

engineer401
09-15-2013, 04:25 PM
I use the 505 beam scale for powder and the digital scale for bullets. The beam scale holds zero where my digital scale routinely requires re-zeroing.

country gent
09-15-2013, 04:30 PM
The rcbs lymann or reddings are all good beam scales. Not to fussy easy to set up and zero. Easy to use. All you need is a scales to handle the "weight" you want to throw. Powder type, or even material dont mater as long as its in the range of the scales. Another thing you will want for any scales is a set of check weights so you know 5 grns on the scales is 5 grns not over or under. I have both beam and digital ( i recently bought a gem pro 250 that is very good and reads to .02 grns) for what you want to do hand weighing charges with a dipper and possibly trickling the beam type will work better. Look at several and see what you like. Several stores have several on display and they may allow you to weigh known items to test. Most now are magnetically dampened to slow beam swings. Older were oil dampened and while it worked dust in the oil would slow measuring. Oil level affected this also. Keep in mind the scales is your last check buy what you feel comfortable with and the best you can.

09-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Which do you trust more?
A. Gravity
B. Electrons

clownbear69
09-15-2013, 05:58 PM
I like using a digital scale for ease of use. But I never have my manual scale without in reach.

brtelec
09-15-2013, 06:01 PM
I like using a digital scale for ease of use. But I never have my manual scale without in reach.

This is my feelings exactly. I have been reloading for 3 decades and I like my digital for speed, but I only trust it just so far. I still check every few rounds against my ancient Redding Model 1 scale.

bangerjim
09-15-2013, 06:04 PM
I have an engineering lab full of scales both beam and digital.

For speed I use a Frankford digital scale. Some trash it, but I compared it to an NIST traceable weight set and it is dead on. Nice thing is you can "tare weigh" the case B4 powder charge and then weigh it again full of powder and get an accurate read on the powder IN THE CASE.

Problem with beam scales is you have to wait for them to level out and stabilize for a reading. If you are checking your powder measure just at the beginning, that is fine. But if you weigh every 5th or EVERY load as many do, the beam takes waaaaaaaay to long.

The Frankford unit for under $40 is pretty accurate. Sure you can spend hundreds on auto weigh/dispense units, but why?

Beam scales are old school for speed.

bangerjim

L Erie Caster
09-15-2013, 06:04 PM
I would consider Dillon’s Eliminator Scale, every bit as good as RCBS 5-0-5 scale for a better price
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25215/catid/7/Dillon__039_s___039_Eliminator__039__Scale

MrWolf
09-15-2013, 06:34 PM
I use an electronic scale that has its own check weight to make sure it is accurate. Comes in handy when doing shotgun to weigh powder then convert to pound for ounces. As stated above, nice to zero a case then add powder and measure case to find amount of powder.

'74 sharps
09-15-2013, 06:48 PM
Max load for Trail Boss is to base of bullet, with no powder compression. I shoot a lot of TB in 38 & 357, and it is very easy to see if you have the correct charge in the case.

Stephen Cohen
09-15-2013, 07:00 PM
RCBS 505 is the go, I have lyman lee and a redding as well, but RCBS is the best by fare. As for using dippers, they are as accurate or better than a thrower, it all depends on consistency in use, get a system going that is repeatable and you will have no problems. But do mark the load they throw on each dipper and use scales to check at start and every so often as your charging shells.

williamwaco
09-15-2013, 07:18 PM
RCBS 505 is an excellent scale.

It has a limited capacity.

I find 1000 grains the minimum if you want to weigh anything other than powder charges or bullets.

I used three beam scales for over 50 years. All were good, all were accurate and all were dependable.

BUT:

I no longer own one. I use only the RCBS 1500.

If you DO opt for an electronic, be aware that not all of them use batteries. Some of them require a 110 circuit.

Riverpigusmc
09-15-2013, 07:22 PM
I use an RCBS 502 beam and a Frankford digital, along with check weights. A charge of 231 on the beam that weighs 5.0 grains will weigh 5.2 on the digital, every time. If I'm throwing medium range target loads, I'll weigh the same charge on each scale (after testing with check weights) to make sure all is well in the world, then use the Little Dandy and the digital. If, however, I am getting up near max, beam scale and trickler is all I will use. Both types of scales have their place, but I'd buy a good beam scale first, and a digital for speed later

ElDorado
09-15-2013, 07:30 PM
I bought a Cabela’s electronic scale about 10 – 12 years ago and haven’t used the RCBS beam scale since. It’s so much easier to use, especially if you’re weighing an unknown amount, such as a boolit with a new alloy. A balance beam requires a little fiddling around to find the weight, the electronic just shows you the numbers. That’s useful for tasks like sorting case or boolits by weight. If you buy one, I recommend one that will use both batteries and plug-in.

The best thing about the balance beam is that it doesn’t require power.

This is the updated version of the one I have.

Cabelas-XT-1500-Digital-Scale (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-XT-1500-Digital-Scale/740848.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Dscale%26x%3D12%26y%3D9%26WTz_l%3DHeader %253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=scale&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products)

David2011
09-15-2013, 07:39 PM
I would consider Dillon’s Eliminator Scale, every bit as good as RCBS 5-0-5 scale for a better price
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25215/catid/7/Dillon__039_s___039_Eliminator__039__Scale

Agreed. I have one of each and they're mechanically identical. To get an electronic scale that's as reliable will cost serious bucks. I also hav one of the aformentioned Frankford Arsenal scales and hav found that it's good for weighing boolits but not as good for powder. Adding a few granules after putting the bulk of the powder in it sometimes doesn't result in a change in the readout where it would on the balance beam scales.

David

r1kk1
09-15-2013, 07:42 PM
RCBS 505 is an excellent scale.

It has a limited capacity.

I find 1000 grains the minimum if you want to weigh anything other than powder charges or bullets.

I used three beam scales for over 50 years. All were good, all were accurate and all were dependable.

BUT:

I no longer own one. I use only the RCBS 1500.

If you DO opt for an electronic, be aware that not all of them use batteries. Some of them require a 110 circuit.

+1 on limiTed capacity.

1010 RCBS and old Dillon electronic for me.

Take care

r1kk1

dragonrider
09-15-2013, 07:57 PM
I use an RCBS 505. I used to have a Lyman digital, didn't care for it much, it's trash now anyway. No matter which one you acquire you will also need a "scale weight check set" or you will not know how accurate your scales are.

bedbugbilly
09-15-2013, 09:01 PM
Thanks all for you help and suggestions - greatly appreciated. I ordered a RCBS 505 and will give that a try.

I looked at a great number of digitals and I can see how they would be useful for you serious shooters - especially in weighing slugs. I didn't order a set of test weights but will do so. At some point, further on down the road, I'll probably get a digital as the tare weight would be useful for a lot of things.

'74 sharps - I have looked at a number of write ups, etc. on the TB and have the formula for marking case and then figuring 70% for starting charge. I just figured that for starting out, I couldn't hardly screw up with it. I'm heading out tomorrow afternoon to see what I can scare up in terms of primers and powder - hopefully I'll find some TB - if not, I'll be fine with something else. If I'm going to "err" - it will be on the safe side of the spectrum! I've been looking at my manuals at different powders - starting and max loads so I'm set there. As cheap as I am at times, I'll be on the "lower side" in terms of charges - save more powder that way! LOL

Lead Fred
09-15-2013, 09:09 PM
I have three beam scales.
An RCBS 10-10, the best scale ever made.

This is the only scale I use for super match grade ammo.

Ive tried several electronic scales, all garbage.

My time is worth money. I dont have time to let a scale warm up & calibrate.

Even my 1966 Bonanza & Redding beams are better than any electronic one Ive tried.

Just dont ever buy a Lee Perfect scale, they are perfect......

Junk

OldManMontgomery
09-16-2013, 01:12 PM
I have both.

I have an old Ohaus (I think RCBS now) 5-0-5 scale, and a Lee balance that only goes to 105 grains. (I think the Lee scale is the 'Perfect' scale; unlike Lead Fred, I think it works rather well.) Both work well, but are frankly a pain in the foot to set up. They require a rather level surface, and if one bumps either the scale or the foundation upon which the scale sets, it must be re-set. Among other negatives, they tend to 'swing' for a bit (which is how one actually reads them) and they are easy to disrupt in terms of bumping the beam out of alignment and such. They are painfully slow in sorting brass or bullets.

The up side is that with check weights, they are very accurate (probably more than needed) and no electricity is required. They are typically less costly initially as well.

I used to have a Dillon D-Terminator (I think it's been updated or replaced or something) until I dropped it while moving. (Sigh.) I replaced it with a Cabela's digital scale. Frankly, the Cabela's doesn't work as well as the Dillon version. It doesn't seem to 'settle' and decide the actual weight as quickly; sometimes it seems sluggish when 'trickling' a powder charge. I may spring for another Dillon in the next couple months. But don't mistake me; the Cabela's works well enough.

Digital scales have an annoying feature of 'bouncing' between a couple of points on the display. For instance, it will display a reading of 3.9, then show 4.0, then 4.1, then back down to 3.9, 4.0 and finally decide on 3.9 and the indicator comes on that the scale has made up its mind. If one waits just a moment, the cycle may start again.

What is happening is the same thing as the 'swing' on a balance scale. The actual weight is probably something like 3.95 grains, but the display has to show only .1 increments. It is a little off putting at first, but practice and time tends to inure one to the occurrence.

The good features of a digital is they are quick to use and read, don't require as much re-setting, and can be easily changed to other measurement systems (grains, grams, ounces). They are great for large sorting jobs. But one has to have electricity - either plug in or batteries.

Many of the old school types simply don't like the digital, feeling they are not as accurate. This accuracy claim is typically made in terms of power charges. Seriously, uniformity is of more consequence than actual amount; the degree of error in a powder charge is the least important consideration for good accuracy. Both types of scale will work just fine if the operator pays attention.

Lloyd Smale
09-17-2013, 06:54 AM
good advice
RCBS 505 beam scale

Good place to start. Get a digital scale next.

d garfield
09-17-2013, 07:23 AM
I have one of the old redding balance scales that I started with in 62, it has the oil dampener and it is the best thing going. Just bought another one off of ebay for $20.

hermans
09-17-2013, 09:33 AM
I use both, balance and electronic. The same principle as with most reloading equipment for me here...if you buy a cheap scale it will frustrate you to bits, so get a good quality one from the start.

Le Loup Solitaire
09-17-2013, 08:36 PM
I have used 2 Redding beam scales for several decades. They were well made and are still going strong. Slow...maybe, by the standards of some folks, but dead-on accurate and that is what counts in the world of "don't make mistakes with powder". I never used the oil damper feature and chose to get along without it. I also keep a set of check weights around and use them regularly to keep track of things. LLS

Greg B.
09-18-2013, 12:45 PM
I have an old Ohaus magnetic balance beam that I use for working up loads as well as setting the Redding and Dillon powder measures. It has worked for thirty years and I have no plans to change.

MrWolf
09-18-2013, 07:30 PM
I found that my radio playing would actually impact the weight on my electronic scale depending on the song - assume sound waves so I leave it off when using the scale.

LeftyDon
09-18-2013, 11:01 PM
I use an RCBS 505. I used to have a Lyman digital, didn't care for it much, it's trash now anyway. No matter which one you acquire you will also need a "scale weight check set" or you will not know how accurate your scales are.

+1 on this. Some scales may be non-linear and very light charges can be way off. You need a high and a low calibrated test weight above and below your charge weight to be sure that what you are weighting is correct. A scale can be dead-on at 50 or 100 grains and off by 33% or more at 1.8 grains.

ozo
09-19-2013, 01:38 AM
A Hornady GS-1500 electronic will work for most anything
short of competition fanatics.
You must always check any electronic scale to make sure it is zeroed,
but it's just the touch of a button.
A good beam scale is trusted by many to stay zeroed.....and usually will....
but it too, is not fail-proof.
My beams are protected, and remain 99.9999999% zeroed, and not even
the cats are allowed to interfere.....
But I use an electronic scale for 99% of my weights.
Almost all my loads are from a Dillon powder measure, so I don't check
every 5 seconds.......and most calibers I load have designated tool heads
with their own powder measures and I load the same charge over and over.
[for that toolhead/caliber] I find the electronic scale convenient and quick
when I do run a check.

jmort
09-19-2013, 01:51 AM
For what it is worth, this electronic scale from Brian Enos is really nice. I would start with a balance beam, but this is what I am getting next and it has features, i.e. in it's construction/design such as the load sensors, that you cannot get in any other scale for the $$$

http://www.brianenos.com/store/be.scale_hp.html