PDA

View Full Version : Load performance, gun to gun variations

DrCaveman
09-15-2013, 02:24 PM
Man

despite all the data, experience, and advice that exists about handloading cast boolits, i had a serious wake up call regarding the variety of performance one can experience from the same load in different guns.

Ill apologize in advance for not knowing all the pertinent measurements of these guns, as they probably affected the outcome. Particularly throat diameter and b/c gap. Even if i knew them though, im not planning on changing them, so i look at it like: it is what it is, figure out how to deal with it. You know, be like water. Water made the grand canyon, it isnt a wuss

The guns i noticed the big difference with yesterday were both 38 caliber. One was a ruger LCR, 1 7/8" barrel, rated for 38 +p. Other was a 4" smith model 19-3, nickel plated from the late 70s. Rated of course for 357 mag

I was trying out some new wadcutter loads, using the lee 148 gr standard lube groove boolit. Powder was sr 4756. I was inspired by my recent research about 'the load' using this powder in 38 spl, but i didnt feel OK about jumping straight to the 8 gr load or whatever extreme charge was listed in the speer #8 manual. Just hearing jeff cooper say that the load is hard on snubbies was enough to question whether i really wanted to destroy my backpacking pistol with a few 'awesome' shots

So i tried a few loads from the lee manual, which seemed sane. 4.2 gr and 5.5 gr, to be specific. 38 spl cases of course, since they were destined to be shot in the LCR. I am/was looking for a potent, managable load for deer dispatch, maybe some close-range varmint work, and 2-legged intruder defense. This load should be managable in the 14 oz LCR and also hit where i aim.

My method of testing new 38 spl loads is to shoot them in my smith model 19 first, and judge the intensity based on comparison to previous loads that i know and respect. If it seems 'normal', then i try it in the LCR

The first wadcutter load, using 4.2 gr of sr 4756, was pretty pathetic in the smith. Boolits bounced off the 3/4" pine board holding my targets. One managed to punch a hole, and it was near POA, but the other five did not even mark the dirty bird target. Yes, they left the barrel. I saw them in the dirt in front of me after they bounced off whatever i hit

Stepped up to the 5.5 gr load, first 4 shots fully eliminated the bullseye. Im not that great of a handgun shot, and my 2.7 gr BE loads do not group that tight for me. I think we have found a new WC load here!

But wait, how does it do in the LCR, where it matters most?

Missing paper, hands hurt...one shot a few inches off bull

Lets try the lighter load in the snubbie

Magic! All five shots within 2" of bullseye, and easy shooting to boot! No bouncing boolits, just destroyed targets.

I was really surprised that the light load from the snubbie seemed to pack more punch than from the longer smith. And i may be starting to notice certain trends in my ability to shoot certain loads from certain guns better than faster/lighter loads from different/same guns. The only thing i am CERTAIN of is that this is what happened yesterday when i was shooting

Any theories as to how this can be? Im also struggling to understand why i am getting performance so far beyond that stated in the load manuals in my 30-30, since, for once, i am following some PUBLISHED data, and am getting 100-200 fps more than i expected. But thats for another thread.

I wonder how much effect the SHOOTER really has on the performance of various loads, above and beyond the difference between guns. Not like: you are a bad shot with poor techique, thats why this load sucks for you. More like: this is a load YOU will shoot well because of your particular skills/preferences

Thoughts?

WILCO
09-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Thoughts?

It's a well known fact that what works in one firearm, will perform differently in another firearm of same caliber. Hence the reason for legal disclaimers,warnings in the manuals and the old adage of 'Firearms are like women, they're finicky".

WILCO
09-15-2013, 02:45 PM
Im also struggling to understand why i am getting performance so far beyond that stated in the load manuals in my 30-30, since, for once, i am following some PUBLISHED data, and am getting 100-200 fps more than i expected. But thats for another thread.

Factors like brand of brass and amount of crimp come into play here.
Amongst other things...........