PDA

View Full Version : Swageing stuff

Buckshot
10-22-2007, 10:05 PM
That's an interesting note, Buckshot, but I think we have already avoided that problem.
Does that also mean that the Rockchucker was appropriate for bullet swaging as long as it was fitted with a hardened ram?

Which kind of swaging...stuffing lead inside a jacket...or the real thing?
CM

Charlie, As omgb mentioned, the Rockchucker CAN swage jacketed bullets. I think CH's offering the hardened ram was for doing larger bullets. I haven't bothered to check and see if CH still offers a hardened retrofit for the Rockchucker. If not then they'd gone to a hardened ram themselves or there just wasn't enough interest to keep it in the line. I had a CH catalog from several years ago and CH stated they had these rams to alleviate the 'T' slot collapsing from excess pressure.

http://www.fototime.com/843853136AD317F/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/29D72DD489D0475/standard.jpg

This is the swage press I bought from Richard Corbin (RCE Enterprises). The Walnut Hill model. A very well crafted press. Hard chromed guide/support rods with the platen riding in hard bronze bushings. The pressure you can exert is really something :-) The core forming die has a bleed hole for excess lead. If you run the die up to the punch and then lay on the handle you can shoot a lead wire out like stomping on a toothpast tube.

As stout as it is, with the handle all the way down if you watch close you can see the extruded lead slowly oozing out for a bit before stopping. The press has deformed or stretched with the pressure and slowly equalizes. You have to wait about 5 seconds before raising the handle for the press to relax. Doing this will give you a batch of cores weighing within a total spread of about .2 gr. Most will be within a tenth.

...................Buckshot

My Lee Classic single stage press has had the shellholder cut-down about 1/2 inch, and the top save for later to be mounted with a ring underneath...see pictures.

The base of the shellholder was then reamed out to accept the Herter's style shellholder, that has my punch stem inserted into the primer hole until it portrudes through the bottom to accept a fastening nut.

In my pictures you will see the bullet swaging ejector apparatus in place, and the bottom bar has my Herter's shellholder and its nose punch inserted.

There is also another picture show the old Lee Classic shellholder top I had cut off, it is now mounted with a ring band underneath it and can be placed in the same hole on the bottom ejector bar and held in place by a hex screw.

This all works very well for me...plus, I only had to aulter the shellholder two pieces to get this done. I still have a standard Lee shellholder if I ever need it.

The newer bottom bar had to be wider to accept the Herter's shellholders.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/PC190006Bothbottombarscloseup.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/PC210008Leecut-offshellholder490X.jpg

The last picute shows the smaller top bar on the ejector apparatus that on the down stroke of the press handle pushes on the swaging die stem and ejects the bullet back out of the die.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/PC190006Bothbottombars490X.jpg

An earlier rendition of the bottom bar is seen laying atop the press, it proved to be too thin walled on its ram mounting base.

The newer bottom bar had to be made a bit wider to be able to accept the Herter's shellholders.

Jim

Swagerman,
Here is what I derive from your post:

You have modified a Lee Classic press to perform bullet swaging operations, and it can still be used for normal reloading by switching parts.

But (importantly, to me) the press itself already had the strength and leverage to swage complete bullets from lead wire. All that was needed was reworking it to accept the swaging tools.

Would you say that I understood you correctly?
CM

Swagerman,
Here is what I derive from your post:

You have modified a Lee Classic press to perform bullet swaging operations, and it can still be used for normal reloading by switching parts.

But (importantly, to me) the press itself already had the strength and leverage to swage complete bullets from lead wire. All that was needed was reworking it to accept the swaging tools.

Would you say that I understood you correctly?
CM

================================================== =====

Montana Charlie...

Yep, the Lee Classic is plenty strong to do bullet shape swaging, and I'm not just talking about soft lead wire...it can handle Meister Cast bullets which is reputed to be pretty hard lead. So far I haven't had any bullet that wouldn't reshape in this press from the changes I've made...but I don't go in for real hard cast bullets.

I've even messed around with jacketed bullets swaging them into different shapes just to see if it could do it...it can.

The bullet ejector apparatus is my own thing because I got tired of pounding the top of that stem knob on the swaging die...the apparatus does it on the down stroke of the ram.

I modified the Lee Classic shellholder to take the Herter shellholder because they seem to give better concentric(centering) than the standard industry slip-in shellholders...that is they don't move around on you.

Jim

This thread has me thinking...So what would be the cheapest buy in price for swaging bullets? I sold my RC before I learned about the solid ram. Have to keep my eyes open for another. It would be a write-off anyways. How does one go about getting dies? I want to make a bullet you can't find anywhere (.375 300-325gr VLD). Should I get ready to bend over for the dies?

If you want dies at a reasonable price, I guess C-H is pretty good. But its been years since I've bought any there.

If you are not going to use lead wire to make 1/2 jacketed bullets, but just want to size or shape some cast bullets, be sure to order the swage dies in the exact diameter you want the bullet to be as a finished item.

The 1/2 jacketed lead wire bullets has two dies and one is for core, and one is for bullet seating in the core.

C-H will make them up for you in whatever you want.

Jim

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of casting round balls and swage them into bullet cores, then jacket them. Too much to mess with?

I would shy away from the round ball getting swaged. That is way too much work...though it would probably work.

Having swaging dies made in the exact diameter you need to seat in a brass case is the way to go. That way you bump up bullets in size, and reshape them to whatever nose shape you require.

Right now, I'm trying to get another Lee 25-35 seating die honed out to .432 diameter; for my .44 special with the big a$$ cylinder throats.

This Lee die will have its top seating stem removed and I'll put a cut-down 5/8X18 tpi bolt in it's place with a drilled hole to run an ejector shaft stem through it. This will be my home made custom swaging die for .432 diameter.

This is easy stuff for all the good machinest gents we have on this forum...they've got the know-how and the equipment to make it happen.

Jim

Buckshot
10-26-2007, 01:46 AM
...............My sincere apologies to all the contributers of these posts!!!!!!!!!. I was trying to move all the swageing stuff into a new thread, as it had run off a bit from Montana Charlie's original question.

As you can see I screwed it up. I merged all the posts instead of merely moving them to the new thread. Hopefully we can just continue on from here.

..............Buckshot

HTRN
10-26-2007, 05:14 PM
Buckshot is on the money with this one - the Walnut hill is a beast of a Press. If I had known then, what I know now, I wouldn't have bought my Ultramag. It's a steal too, at $270.

I would add that the Walnut Hill (http://www.rceco.com/adv_walnut.shtml) is Richard Corbins only "dual use" manual press - his other two manual presses are the the Sea Girt (http://www.rceco.com/beginner.shtml#seagirt)(a cheaper lighter duty press suitable for swaging only due to it's short stroke), and his new press, called the "What Cheer", that is supposed to be a real beast(swaging 50 BMG VLD's and shotgun slugs!:holysheep). It too is a "swaging only" proposition.

HTRN

Utah Smitty
11-22-2007, 11:49 PM
I recently bought some swaging dies and a press from a gunsmith. The press is a Hollywood Junior, with the Aluminum base and round shell holder and 3 vertical rods. Most of the dies are Hollywood brand as well. The setup includes (supposedly) dies to form .22 rimfire cases into .223 and .243. There are also dies for .45 ACP (missing nose punch) and .429 (44 Special and 44 Mag). I also have some swaging dies for .38, 9mm, .40, & .45 that are made to go into a reloading press.

My problem is, I haven't been able to figure out how to set up the press to form bullets, using the Hollywood Dies and am also concerned that the press is strong enough. Can anyone give me a brief "tutorial" on how to do it, or direct me to information about it???

Many thanks,

Utah Smitty

Bent Ramrod
11-23-2007, 12:12 AM
Smitty,

The picture of the setup I've seen in old Handloader's Digests has the bottom half of the die in the shell holder part of the Hollywood Senior press and the point half in the top part where the loading die normally goes. It looks as if the bullet dies are larger in diameter, so bushings apparently have to be removed. Also the pins in the linkages are moved to get a shorter lever stroke for more power and a rod is placed between the base and the top of the press for greater rigidity.

I don't think swaging can be done in the Hollywood Jr press. The one I had for a while had no bushings for larger diameters and was pretty much a loading press only. I have a .25 caliber Hollywood die set which awaits a press to try them out in.

Utah Smitty
11-23-2007, 12:21 AM
BR

Thanks for the reply. The swaging dies I have have the 7/8-14 thread used on standard presses. I recently bought a CH "H" frame press on eBay. The seller said the press is steel, not aluminum... so I think it will work well. I'll probably sell the Hollywood Junior on eBay-- I know there's an Antique Reloading Equipment collector's group... maybe someone needs one for his collection.

Regards,

Utah Smitty

Utah Smitty
11-23-2007, 01:15 AM
Here are pics of the Hollywood Swage dies and the Hollywood Junior Press. I'm pretty sure that there are dies to swage jackets from .22 rimfire, and also dies for the .243 and .223. I just don't know how to use them. Can anyone help.

FWIW, there is a Hollywood Senior Press on eBay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Hollywood-Reloading-Tool_W0QQitemZ230193924394QQihZ013QQcategoryZ71120 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Utah Smitty

Swagerman
11-23-2007, 07:47 PM
Utah Smitty, some of your swageing dies look like my Lachmiller .356 one. Is the .38 Super .356?

Its the one in the foreground of picture.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P22500389mmswagingdies520X.jpg

quasi
11-23-2007, 10:58 PM
FYI, RCBS offers a seperate ram for Rockchuckers without the primer arm slot, especially for swaging.

Bent Ramrod
11-24-2007, 04:01 AM
Smitty,

I'll have to unearth my Hollywood set and take a look at it, but the dies in the upper left of your picture definitely look like the top halves of Hollywood bullet swaging dies. The one with the aluminum-knobbed plunger looks like maybe a core seater or point former from a Frank Hempstead die or something similar. Those little flanged things in the lower part of the picture I'll have to cogitate on. I'll get back on it later this weekend. Thanks for posting the picture; you got a lot of great stuff there.

Utah Smitty
11-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Utah Smitty, some of your swageing dies look like my Lachmiller .356 one. Is the .38 Super .356?

Its the one in the foreground of picture.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P22500389mmswagingdies520X.jpg

My die with the eject knob is either .223, or .243, I haven't measured it yet.

I'm pretty sure it's a Hollywood die, though it does resemble the Lachmiller you show, but the knob is a little different. The .38 Super shoots a nominal 9mm bullet, which are typically .355 - .356" in diameter. I had a .38 Super once, with an interchangeable 9mm barrel. Sold it in a moment of weakness, wish I hadn't.

The thing I'm trying to learn is how the dies are used, and what sequence. I think the little mushroom shaped pieces are used to support the ram while the point is being formed. The part of the die that fits in the shell holder has a shallow depression of roughly the same size. (Info gleaned from RCE Swaging book). Bent Ramrod is checking on things (which I greatly appreciate). If anyone else has any input, by all means do!!

Utah Smitty

Utah Smitty
11-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Smitty,

I'll have to unearth my Hollywood set and take a look at it, but the dies in the upper left of your picture definitely look like the top halves of Hollywood bullet swaging dies. The one with the aluminum-knobbed plunger looks like maybe a core seater or point former from a Frank Hempstead die or something similar. Those little flanged things in the lower part of the picture I'll have to cogitate on. I'll get back on it later this weekend. Thanks for posting the picture; you got a lot of great stuff there.

Most of the dies are marked "Hollywood Guns Shop" The precision of the dies and the internal dies is amazing... The fit is so precise, it's like they're "wrung together" like gage blocks.

I sure appreciate your assistance. I'm anxious to start using them!!!

Utah Smitty

Bent Ramrod
11-25-2007, 12:16 AM
OK, let's see if these pictures work...

Sorry they're laying on their sides. I'm pretty much an amateur at this. The first one is the schematic of the die set installed in the Hollywood Senior Press. The second (to the right) and the third (underneath) is, from the top down (or left to right if the pic was right side up) a Hollywood shell holder in .30-40 Krag with the priming stake inside it, which somehow snuck into the die set, then, from left to right, the swaging punch (in and out of the die), the bottom die that forms the shank of the bullet, and the top die that forms the point. You can see the hex nut on the bottom of the bottom die which obviously fixes the bottom die into the shellholder hole in the ram of the press in the same manner that the shellholder itself is attached. The swaging punch likewise fits into the place that the priming stake would normally occupy. Note also that the links on the ram are shortened for the maximum leverage on the press stroke. The empty holes at the end of the links are for reloading operations. Absent (for reasons of clarity) is the rod bolted in front of the die set which would link the press top and base into a sort of O configuration for maximum rigidity.

The bottom die is spring-loaded inside, probably in order to help eject the finished bullet after swaging. This one-step procedure to make the finished bullet was called "hard swaging" as the core had to be seated and the point formed in one mighty effort.

What I don't have a clue about is the piece on the bottom. It is solid, has a punch on it and obviously has the same knurling style as the rest of the Hollywood set. Unless it is some kind of alternate ejector setup that you have to disassemble the bottom of the die to put in, I have no idea as to its function.

Anybody who has real experience with using these dies please feel free to correct this. I'm doing a lot of surmising here. Smitty, you're right about the precise fit, and it had better be precise. Imagine what you'd get if the bottom die half was, say, .002" out of line with the top half!

By the way, that's the Lachmiller offering on the next page.

Bent Ramrod
11-25-2007, 12:25 AM
By the way, Smitty,

The small cylindrical dies with the threads on the end just to the right of the Hollywood bottom halves in your picture look like the die inserts to the Ted Smith Mity-Mite bullet swaging press. The punches near them look like the punches that fit that press as well. I would guess one would be a core seat die and the other a point former, and both should have relatively simple cylindrical pins to eject the bullet on the reverse stroke of the press. The swaging pin was on the nonmoving end of the press, while the dies themselves screwed into the ram.

Utah Smitty
11-25-2007, 10:41 PM
Thanks for that info, BR, this helps to sort things out... I'll fiddle with it some, and hopefully figure it out...

I probably out to invest in Corbin's Handbook to find out the details of core swaging, and making cores from .22 rimfire brass...

Thanks to all who responded.... if anyone else has some input, please chime in...

Utah Smitty

floodgate
11-25-2007, 11:50 PM
Utah Smitty:

Go to Dave Corbin's at <www.corbins.com> and download his book as a pdf file (196 pp; it takes a while...); and also go to Richard Corbin at <www.rceco.com> where he has posted several chapters of the book he is writing, in the same format. Different slants on similar topics, and both offer excellent information for the cost of a ream of paper and a couple of ink cartridges. I'm just getting into swaging myself, and find both sources really helpful. The C-H / 4D site <www.ch4d.com> still also has some swaging dies, core cutter, lead wire and half-jackets, too.

floodgate

Utah Smitty
11-29-2007, 12:01 AM
I bought a C-H Magnum H frame single stage press off eBay after being assured by the seller that the press was "steel" and not aluminum.

Well, it arrived today, and while the lever, lever shaft, bolster rods and links are steel, the base, die head and ram block are aluminum. The seller is out of town until the weekend so I can't contact him about recourse.

My question:

Is there a chance that this press is strong enough to swage boolits???

Utah (Frustrated) Smitty

Swagerman
11-29-2007, 02:09 PM
If you got the bigger C-H Champion press, its going to be OK to do any swaging you care to take on.

Once had a Jr. Champion, a smaller version decades ago...it never failed except on its linkage pin.

The big Champion has twice the diameter in its linkage pin...about a half inch if I remember right, it won't bend or break.

Jim

Utah Smitty
11-29-2007, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the reponse Jim.

This isn't the same press. It is an "H" type press, with 7/8" bolster rods, but a cast aluminum base, and what looks like forged (or else cast) aluminum on the platen (holds the shell holder), and the die head.

Here (hopefully) is a picture of a 4 station version of it. C H still sells it as the 444 Magnum. My press is a single stage version of this.

Utah Smitty

Swagerman
11-29-2007, 04:47 PM
As you can see I have one of these four station C-H presses. (The one on the left of the big Lyman AA)

Its good for reloading but forget swaging with one. It cannot stand the strain for very long.

Even Dave at C-H will tell you that, but he'll stand befhind his big Champion to do swaging.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/PA060033C-HLymanpress.jpg

exblaster
12-02-2007, 09:21 AM
A question if I nay are all Hollywood senor presses strong enough for swaging? I have a later model marked Hollywood Senior Tool on the right side and MFG. BY HOLLYWOOD RELOADING TOOL CO. on the left side of the base. the reason I ask is that the base and platen are forged aluminum. It has the duel linkage and large diameter platen insert.
T. I. A.
Exblaster

pjh421
12-10-2007, 04:15 AM
I just love looking at pictures of these old presses. It reminds me of the time before I could afford anything like them and would drool over the Shooter's Bible and various equipment mfgs. literature dreaming of the things I would do some day (after I finished my homework). Swagerman, that Lyman AA is in such good condition it looks brand new!

Paul