PDA

View Full Version : Hunting goats and pigs with the 32-20

boca
09-15-2013, 04:16 AM
Hi
I took my young fella away shooting again. This time we drove a little way further and had a property that I go to that is 55,000 acres . Here I normally shot pigs with the aid of my motor bike. There are also goats here that are not as flighty as the pigs , this is what I wanted my son to shot . These are a huge pest where I live. I have tried to instil in him the art of hunting and this was the main reason that I choose a 32-20 as his first rifle . He is a good kid , But is 13 years old and is on his way to be a teenager so sometimes lessons need to be learned . My main concern with this hunt was that Goats are a large animals, and with rifles in the like of a.308 win can be useless if bullet placement is not spot on. I wanted him to get to with in 60m and to get himself a good rest and place the bullet in the right spot.
After unpacking the vehicle I got my motor bike ready we packed water and snacks and took of in search of some game. Liam had his 32-20 on his back. I had my combination 12ga/.308 on the handle bars. The 12ga had hand cast 1 buck pellets in a 3 inch shell , These 17 hand cast buckshot pellets are nice and hard and keep a dense pattern much better than the store bought swaged soft lead pellets I love this load.
Not long on leaving camp we bumped into a mob of goats, we dismounted and followed them for about 20 mins but lost them in a stand of cypress trees.
Again we where of searching the paddocks for the flash of colour which tends to give away goats. This time it wasn't the flash of goat but the grunt of a small mob of pigs that caught my attention. I told liam to hang on and gave the bike a extra dose of gas as we gave chase lucky for us the pigs broke into open ground . Liams mind was far from his playstaion now and am Shaw there isn't a amusement ride around that can match this feeling. The chase went on for what felt like 30 mins ,but was only about 2 . I knew where there where going now and I had to make a quick decision before they disappeared into the thick scrub where we could not follow. I got within 10m of the pig stopped and fired at the largest pig , it spun around squealing as swine do. The 12 ga had done its work and it was up to liam to finish the the job off. He dismounted ,chambered a cast 115gr slug and at about 35m ended the story.We where as proud as punch the 2 of use 81848
In the next few days I shot a huge boar and liam shot 8 goats with only one needing a follow up shot . He showed more patient's than I could hope for. He didn't rush the shot, we stalked in as close as we could and on many occasions he took a rest and then would change positions as he was not comfortable there taking the shot. I was not as Patient as he was and remember having a semi auto .308 just blasting away with no results . All in all we had a great trip and he is keen to return what more can a dad want 818498185081851

w5pv
09-15-2013, 06:37 AM
Nice pic and good shooting

fivegunner
09-15-2013, 07:25 AM
You sure know how to have fun!:bigsmyl2:

TXGunNut
09-15-2013, 09:04 AM
Great job on the youngster...and the hunt!

TCLouis
09-15-2013, 03:04 PM
Congrats to the new young Hunter!

longranger
09-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Thirteen is a teenager,[smilie=s:

drinks
09-15-2013, 05:18 PM
Is the rifle a Savage 23c?
Nice hunting, a good way to start a boy out.
I have just converted a #4 RB from .32 LRF to .32-20, it is a nice little cartridge.
As a starting load I am using I4227 and getting 1400fps with a 100gr bullet.
Are you handloading or using factory ammo?

Gibbs44
09-15-2013, 05:32 PM
Hot dog, check that dude out. That's some good shooting. You should be proud of him, and yourself for teaching him well. I love to see threads like this.

Keep up the good work.

missionary5155
09-15-2013, 06:18 PM
Greetings and tell your son "Well done" !
Thanks for writing this up and the photos ! Good reading !
MIke in Peru

Thumbcocker
09-15-2013, 08:55 PM
A patient 13 year old hunter speaks well of his mentor. Good job training him.

Idaho Mule
09-15-2013, 09:53 PM
Good on you and your son. I absolutely LOVE hunting with my two sons. JW

boca
09-16-2013, 03:02 AM
Thanks for the replys
My dad was not into hunting but my grandfather and his brother took care of this. I think its important for our youngsters to grow up with the appreciation of guns and hunting, Get them out of the city and away from technology for awhile . If I can keep him under my wing for a little longer all the better I think . A bushwalk without a rifle is ????? . Hardwork.
Yes the rifle He has is a savage 23c I added a piece of timber to the stock as he was craning his neck will cut it down as he grows.
All ammo I load myself I load 115gr hardcast for plinking with 3 grs of trail boss this is what liam used to finish the pig of with a headshot most of the goats where shot with a 85gr xtp at about 1850fps. We also shot one goat with one of these as I was trying them out http://shop.hrbc.com.au/copperhawke/. 115gr cant remember the load but velocity was around 1650fps . when I finish up the xtps will just use the cast copperhawks . The speer 100gr .308 surprised me and was the most accurate grouping 1 inch @ 90m with three shots consistently . I have not fully got my head around cast bullets for hunting but am slowly going to settle on the copperhawke till I get myself set up with a gas check mold and swagger.

boca
09-16-2013, 03:08 AM
Thanks for the reply's
My dad was not into hunting but my grandfather and his brother took care of this. I think its important for our youngsters to grow up with the appreciation of guns and hunting, Get them out of the city and away from technology for awhile . If I can keep him under my wing for a little longer all the better I think . A bush-walk without a rifle is ????? . Hard work.
Yes the rifle He has is a savage 23c I added a piece of timber to the stock as he was craning his neck will cut it down as he grows.
All ammo I load myself I load 115gr hardcast for pinking with 3 grs of trail boss this is what liam used to finish the pig of with a head shot. Most of the goats where shot with a 85gr xtp at about 1850fps. We also shot one goat with one of these as I was trying them out http://shop.hrbc.com.au/copperhawke/. 115gr cant remember the load but velocity was around 1650fps . when I finish up with the xtps will just use the cast copperhawks . The Speer 100gr .308 surprised me and was the most accurate grouping 1 inch @ 90m with three shots consistently . I have not fully got my head around cast bullets for hunting but am slowly going to settle on the copperhawke till I get myself set up with a gas check mold and swagger.

Leslie Sapp
09-16-2013, 07:09 AM
Good to see the next generation getting some experience! What part of the world are you located in?

EMC45
09-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Very cool. Laying waste to them huh?

boca
09-16-2013, 03:12 PM
Good to see the next generation getting some experience! What part of the world are you located in?

Australia

Ernest
09-16-2013, 09:26 PM
You are a wonderful wonderful Dad. If this world had more dad's like you it would surely be a far more civilized peaceful place.

MT Gianni
09-16-2013, 10:22 PM
Great write up. I hope that Liam looks forward to the next time.

boca
09-17-2013, 03:50 AM
Liam has been asking when we will go again , Always a good sign