PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Collet for Kinetic Bullet Puller

Boyscout
09-15-2013, 02:58 AM
The collet O-ring on my RCBS kinetic bullet puller wore out and I was having trouble holding the collet together when putting in large cartridges such as 300 Win mag and 35 Remington. My local reloading shop told me to use the shell holder for that cartridge instead. It worked and now I don't have to worry about finding pieces of collet on the floor after I blow one apart.

w5pv
09-15-2013, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the info,good information.I have always hated the rubber band or "o" rings around the collet.

Zymurgy50
09-15-2013, 04:29 PM
You can get an o-ring at the local auto parts store for less than $1. Or an assortment at Harbor Freight for $2

Bzcraig
09-15-2013, 04:53 PM
By the end of this day I will check out the shell holder idea, cause I have had the same problem. Thanks Scout.

Bzcraig
09-16-2013, 01:12 AM
Tried it, it works. Say bye bye to o-rings and collets! Thanks again for the post Scout.

Boyscout
09-16-2013, 02:54 AM
Your welcome. I'll pass the thanks on to the men at Pro-Fire, Indianapolis.

Lead Fred
09-16-2013, 03:17 AM
Dudes,

dont do the shell holder way. It dents the inside face of the cartridge.
Which really messes with the feeding in a semi.

I did it for a few years until I had feeding problems, which was caused by the sharp edge of the shell holder.

kayak1
09-16-2013, 10:39 AM
The collet O-ring on my RCBS kinetic bullet puller wore out and I was having trouble holding the collet together when putting in large cartridges such as 300 Win mag and 35 Remington. My local reloading shop told me to use the shell holder for that cartridge instead. It worked and now I don't have to worry about finding pieces of collet on the floor after I blow one apart.

Just be careful. If your pulling anything with a high primer you may set off the round. I have read a few stories where this has happened. For cast it's just as easy to use the press and a pair of cutters to grab the bullet and lower the ram to pull the bullet.

km101
09-16-2013, 10:48 PM
Been using the shell holder for about a year now. It is the easiest and fastest way to use the impact puller.
I have been reloading for over 40 years and I had never heard of it until Geargnasher told me about it. He said that he has been using it for years! Not something new, but evidently there are a lot of people who have not heard of it still.

LUBEDUDE
09-17-2013, 09:55 AM
I read a first hand post on a forum, I think it was The High Road or Handloaders Bench of a guy pleading with reloaders Not to use a shell holder. He did, and set off a round. He went on to explain how it happens, etc.

BK7saum
09-17-2013, 10:00 AM
I have also had rims dented/scuff using the shellholder. They are then difficult to insert into the shell plate of my progressive press. Shellholders work, but if it takes a lot of force to pull the boolit/bullet then you may end up with problems with cartridge case rims.

opos
09-17-2013, 10:10 AM
I use shell holders all the time..never had any issues at all.

zomby woof
09-17-2013, 11:43 AM
"New Twist" Chuck Assembly

Upgrade your Kinetic® Bullet Puller ANY MAKE into the ULTIMATE with the "New Twist" Chuck Assembly.

The "New Twist" Chuck Assembly is not only the newest member in the Quinetics family but it is the spine of the Ultimate Kinetic® Bullet Puller. The "New Twist" Chuck Assembly is quite ingenious. The O-ring is secured to each jaw by a sight crimp and the O-ring is cut. The result is that instead of the O-ring tension holding the jaws together, they expand when the cap is backed off, allowing the case to be easily removed. There is no need to remove the cap or chuck assembly in order to remove the case.

http://www.titanreloading.com/kinetic-bullet-puller/twist-chuck-assembly

John Boy
09-17-2013, 06:33 PM
The "New Twist" Chuck Assembly
The result is that instead of the O-ring tension holding the jaws together, they expand when the cap is backed off, allowing the case to be easily removed. There is no need to remove the cap or chuck assembly in order to remove the case.
Who says one has to remove the cap or the collet to remove the case? The only time I do is when changing caliber.
My procedure is: lossen the cap - tilt the puller and tap it on a lead ingot which is what I use to whack on. The case slides back, grasp the case rim with you thumb and index finger - pull. The just slide a new case into the loose collet and tighten the cap. Easy and fast!

jcwit
09-18-2013, 11:13 AM
There is a reason the manufacturer supplies you with a collet holder and not a handful of shell holders.

Use shell holders at your own risk.

Char-Gar
09-18-2013, 11:16 AM
Since I learned about the use of shell holders a couple of years ago, that is what I have used. It is much easier than the dad blamed collet with the rubber band and I have had no negative issues with their use. I will continue to use them.

km101
09-18-2013, 01:13 PM
I cannot understand how using a shellholder could set off a round. The shellholder is no where near the primer. There had to be other circumstances that caused the ignition.

miatakix
09-18-2013, 02:01 PM
This seems like a practice that has the real potential for danger. The shell holder can strike the primer as it rebounds from a strike. See the illustrations and experiences here:

http://www.shootersforum.com/handloading-equipment/50347-inertial-bullet-puller-warning.html

I don't see the risk as being worth any perceived convenience. For jacketed bullets if I just have a few cases to break down, I use my Hornady inertial puller with eye and ear protection and the collet that it was provided with (if the collets wear out or are lost replacements can be had for very cheap). If I have more than a few to do I pull out my RCBS in-press collet-style puller which makes handling large batches fast and easy. For lead boolits simply putting the cartridge in your press with no die installed and grabbing onto the boolit with a pair of pliers and dropping the ram couldn't be easier.

Maybe if one milled out the bottom of a shell holder this wouldn't be a problem. But why bother when using the right tool for the job is easier? Even if one made the modifications to make a shell holder safe for this application it'd probably still be slower than using the supplied collet as one would have to completely disassemble the inertial puller twice to take care of one cartridge with a shell holder. The collet you just loosen the thing a little, slip the cartridges in and out, done.

jcwit
09-18-2013, 03:44 PM
Well its obvious the manufacturer, nor their design department, have any idea how to make, design, or market a product.

If the manufacturer thought this was a plausible option they would have given this as a possibility long ago, which they have not.

At least this is my opinion.

HATCH
09-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Just contact RCBS and get the replacement parts for free.
They will send them out. Hell go buy one and then contact them for spare parts...