PDA

View Full Version : Lee 440 Gr 50 cal RF GC question

Johnch
09-14-2013, 10:49 PM
Well this morning I bought 3 of the old style 2 cavity moulds for $5 each ( new )

I did a quick clean up and tryed each mould , .502 , .502 and .503 with range scrap lead

OK I figure I can play with 2

SO I plan on reaming out the gc shank on 1 mould , to make a plain base

But I was thinking , I would like a lighter weight plain base mould

So I have to ask
Do you think the boolit would stabilize
If I milled off the GC shank height off the mould ?

As I don't want to trash a usable mould ( far from the best .....but I have $5 in it )

John

xacex
09-14-2013, 11:38 PM
5$! I say go for it. It is such a long 50 cal boolit cutting off the gas shank shouldn't matter. What is that like 20 grains, 30 at most? You could probably mill it down to the bottom of the next drive band without to much fuss. Good deal!

Dusty Bannister
09-15-2013, 09:05 AM
Or you could cast several of them, and cut off the shank area and shoot them to see if they are stable. But that leaves a pretty wimpy base band for something that heavy. Mill maybe half the shank and then open it up to the full diameter? That would give a nice heavy base band, a little lighter, and still shoot it plain based. You would probably have a bullet about .860 long instead of the present .920 and that includes about .385 of unsupported bullet nose.

Johnch
09-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Or you could cast several of them, and cut off the shank area and shoot them to see if they are stable. But that leaves a pretty wimpy base band for something that heavy. Mill maybe half the shank and then open it up to the full diameter? That would give a nice heavy base band, a little lighter, and still shoot it plain based. You would probably have a bullet about .860 long instead of the present .920 and that includes about .385 of unsupported bullet nose.

That sounds like a good idea

And easy enough to do

John