PDA

View Full Version : Free Lead and Home Delivery

Boyscout
09-14-2013, 09:57 PM
I am constantly on the look out for lead. I have asked some of my hunting family to ask their tire dealers for their wheel weights back when they change out tires. It doesn't sound like much but today it netted my brother about 8 gallons of free COWW! Last year I purchased two sets of tires and I asked for my 4 wheel weights back. I got 80 lbs instead.

I have a co-worker who works with his elderly father buying and selling old printing equipment and typset. Various types of printing alloy are usually a part of the deal. Last week he brought me 20 lbs of linotype slugs and he is bringing in about 50 lbs of Monotype/linotype on Monday. I have purchased about 250 lbs from him now at $0.75-$1.00/lb. He is bringing the small lots to work which is really handy for me and doesn't break the budget.

clodhopper
09-14-2013, 10:13 PM
Good for you.
Prett sweet deal, the good natured greed and jelousy should commence soon

BACKTOSHOOTING
09-14-2013, 11:00 PM
jelousy should commence soon

OK, i'll start

Boyscout
09-15-2013, 02:47 AM
I have been able to help out another local caster here locally by swapping lino for things he has that I don't (mainly pure lead). It has worked out well for both of us. I would be more than happy to range mine but do not have access to any local ranges that would allow it. My job allows me very few contacts outside of it so I don't get to network much. The lino connection did however come from my job. I was happy to get the COWW's as I don't see much point in shooting straight Lino/Monotype/Foundrytype.

merlin101
09-15-2013, 01:49 PM
"Free Lead and Home Delivery" Aww I thought you were offering not braggin!

NewbieDave007
09-15-2013, 02:23 PM
Good for you.
Prett sweet deal, the good natured greed and jelousy should commence soon

I will try to keep it all internal...

Nice score though!!!

Boyscout
09-15-2013, 07:22 PM
I don't score often and haven't felt much envy when others do. I have been secretive with my linotype source though as I want to "ride that horse until it dies." I need to weigh what I have in ingots and slugs just to get a feel for where I am at supply wise. My wheel weight ingots get dumped into a wood crate and my alloyed ingots have been going into marked milk jugs. Type is going to stay in the 5 gallon buckets until it is alloyed. My wife is worried about my exposure though and wants me to get tested. I only smelt and cast outdoors, change in the garage, and wash up and shower before doing anything else. Mr. Lee said separating media from polished brass is probably the most serious concern of all (lead styhenate).