PDA

View Full Version : Help me identify this printing lead please.

dilly
09-14-2013, 03:33 PM
Okay, I understand the old rule of thumb where lines of print are generally linotype, single letters are monotype, etc.

I just picked up a lot of printing lead and need to have some questions answered about it. I've heard more about linotype than I have seen and I want to make sure I'm making the right connections.

Firstly, I want to verify that this is linotype. That's a piece of 308 Win brass for scale. I have to say I would have thought the pieces would be longer.

Secondly, I want to make sure that these are what are called spacers. The spacers can be made of the same alloy as the linotype but are often made of a soft alloy; is that correct?

Here is a second picture of suspected spacers. They seem to be of varying thickness. Am I correct that spacers come in varying thicknesses, or are these thinner pieces something else?

Lastly, are these big honkers known as the "pigs" of which I hear so much? What alloy are they usually? Is it just a storage form for linotype alloy? How do people usually melt or break them down? I will have to sell some of this to recoup a portion of my cost. That same 308 Win piece of brass is in the crevice between two of those for scale again.

Lastly, if you were to buy linotype in the S&S section on this board, would you rather have a box of linotype that has not been melted so that you can be sure exactly what alloy you have, or would you rather have it melted down into ingots. If ingots, would you be willing to pay a bit more for this extra effort?

Miata Mike
09-14-2013, 03:48 PM
That is Linotype. Leave it as is if you want to sell it. I made 2.2 pound ingots out of mine, but I am keeping it and mixing 50/50 with pure lead for hardball lead.

Composition may be something like 84% Lead 12% antimony and 4% tin like sold by rotometals.com.

bangerjim
09-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Get a bnh tester! Cabine is the best. Lee is acceptable. I have both.

But without one, your throwing darts in the dark.

bangerjim

merlin101
09-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Single letter type = mono
Word type = lino
Leave it as is and sell as is, I' interested!

largom
09-14-2013, 09:04 PM
I have a 5 gallon bucket full of small letters & numbers and they are linotype [has been tested]. I also have several pounds of large letters [1/4 to 1/2 inch ] which tested as monotype. As stated above you need to have your material tested.

Larry

John Allen
09-14-2013, 09:07 PM
I agree leave it be and sell it as it is. The spacers are common in different thicknesses. Most of us that have it just have buckets of it that you melt down when needed.

HeavyMetal
09-14-2013, 09:26 PM
the spacers are used to "set" the type think wedge and you'll understand what I mean. Mine have always been as had a the type metal I buy it with.

As far as selling it is concerned? Leave it in it the type format, that way there'll be no compliants about "bait & switch" but first have a sample checked for content the Tin content varies greatly among type metals, I currently have 150 # of Foundry type that was sold to me as Lino! I made out OK but the seller sure lost out!

Had I known at the time I'd have been willing to pay for what I got, as well most others, but ya need to know before ya sell!

Defcon-One
09-15-2013, 08:56 PM
I believe that yours is all Linotype alloy, I can almost tell by looking in this case. I have seen identical strips and ingots before. LINOTYPE ALLOY.

Your first pic is linotype. The second, is a blank piece from the same machine, an end of a line. The spacers are the same in my opinion. The ingots, I bet Lino, too!

If I am right, it will melt at around 462 degrees F.

Your spacer are identical to a bunch that I received from a purchase here. I was nervous about their true content, so I melted them seperately and had them tested. They were all Linotype as well.

To keep it and use it yourself you can melt it and make ingots. If you think that you might sell some, I'd keep it all in its original form.

dilly
09-16-2013, 12:33 AM
WHat is the best way to get these tested? I know there is some kind of x ray machine or something but I sure don't have one. I mean even a hardness tester only tells you so much.

Fritz D
09-16-2013, 10:50 PM
I used to own/operate a Linotype in the late 70's/early 80's. Not to confuse the issue, but . . . I'm about 99% sure that the "line-of-type" in your first pic was set on a Ludlow, not a Linotype. Completely different machines but similar end products. I believe they both used the same alloy (Linotype).