PDA

View Full Version : Success at last with Lyman Slugs...

Y-man
09-14-2013, 05:57 AM
I have been "struggling" with a lot of restrictions for my shotguns for a long time: living in Nigeria (I know, I know!) and not being able to buy many things that most take for granted...
Shotgun ammo, parts, accessories are almost impossible... So I always improvise and do my own thing. I have had some setbacks but you can see my success at last on this link... (On TheFirearmBlog: highly respected blog on all things guns...)

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013 ... ugs-stock/
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/09/13/y-man-finally-moment-slugs-stock/

Your thoughts and opinion would be much appreciated!

longbow
09-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Looking good Y-man!

Glad to see you are making good progress and achieving what you set out to do.

I complain that I live in a reloading desert but it is nothing compared to what you have to put up with. Not being able to buy components like powders and wads so you can check for fit and work up a load with different bits has got to be difficult. High cost also being a big factor too. I think nothing of loading up 50 rounds to go shooting and test out a new slug.

I have followed all your posts and admire your ingenuity and persistence in your work from home made moulds and sights to where you are now.

Pretty impressive!

When did you get the Lyman mould?

What do you use for plastic balls?

Do you hunt with the slugs at all?

Keep up the good work and enjoy your success.

Longbow

W.R.Buchanan
09-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Y Man: I applaud your ingenuity. Doing something with nothing is a tough job.

As a suggestion, I would recommend a U shaped piece of wood that would straddle the top strut of your stock and be as high as the front clamp/mount and then strait back to the top of the butt pad.

This would serve as a cheek rest like the top of a normal stock does and I think it would make the gun a little more pleasant to shoot.

Your Slug loads look like they would do the job! No problem there.

Randy

jmort
09-16-2013, 01:28 AM
I am impressed. Good to see people around the world shooting slugs. Your comments about the extravagance of shooting slugs at that village makes me grateful for things we take for granted. Y-man, You The Man.