PDA

View Full Version : Alliant 300 MP in rifles?

leadman
09-13-2013, 11:21 PM
I have recently bought 2 pounds of this powder and tried it in my Ruger SBH Hunter in 41 mag. It works very well there but I was thinking of trying this in rifle cartridges like the 30-06. I did speak with the tech at Alliant but he had no info for either my 41 or any rifles. I asked about any problems similar to 296/110 and received no answer.
This powder is a little slower than 296 probably similar to IMR SR4759.

I was curious if anybody here has tried it in rifle cartridges?

MT Chambers
09-13-2013, 11:33 PM
It is something like AA#9 in that it works good in the small shuetzen cals. like the 25/20, .32 M. short, maybe even the 32/40, usually light loads, pb bullets, breach seated.

uscra112
09-14-2013, 03:13 AM
Ditto. Some of the ASSRA schuetzen shooters use it under breech-seated plain base boolits in loads that will produce about 1400 fps. Cartridges up to .32-40 and .38-55. Speed is about that of AA #9 and 2400. By some reports it is very, very accurate in this kind of shooting. I use #9 in .25-21 for schuetzen, 6.8 grains with an 86 grain boolit, Rem small pistol primer. I finally got some 300MP, (had to get it on-line and pay the hazmat), but haven't tried it yet. How it would work in a big case like .30-06 I dunno, but it's worth a try. Quickload suggests about 15 grains with a 200 grain boolit. No filler, pistol primer to limit the setback of the shoulder.

leadman
09-20-2013, 08:20 PM
I have shot it in my Ruger SBH Hunter in 41 mag and in this application it is slower than 296/110 and Lil'Gun. Guess I will just have to try it and see what happens.

leadman
10-03-2013, 10:55 PM
I haven't tried it in rifles yet but did shoot it again in my 41 mag. Got up to 23grs with a 215gr Lee SWC TL coated with Hi-Tek. The cases were not expanded as much as the Lil Gun cases. Would be nice if Alliant would get some pressure tested data out for it. Powder seems pretty dirty but the accuracy is outstanding! The tripod for the Chrony gave up yesterday so did not get velocity reading. Accuracy wise it was better than the Lil Gun I shot yesterday also.
Does give off a loud booming report compared to the crack of Lil Gun.

mikeym1a
10-03-2013, 11:19 PM
I have read several threads where people would say, '...this powder is dirty...' or that powder is dirty. It was drilled into me to always clean my gun after coming back from a shooting session. I have shot BP, and did the necessary field cleaning to keep going during a match, (this was a long time ago) with a thorough cleanup later. What does it matter if the powder leaves a little residue, as long as the projectile goes to its appointed location? I get dirtier picking up range brass(200 cases), and range scrap (10lbs today), than I do from cleaning my guns. My .45 locked up after about 30rds last week. I had failed to do the necessary cleaning, and powder residue had clogged the locking lugs, and jammed the gun. A good cleaning took care of that. Now I'll remember to pull the slide, and clean the lugs. Some powders leave a bit more soot in the bore, but one or two wet patches followed by a oily patch takes care of that.

Okay, rant over. Carry on. :bigsmyl2:

MT Chambers
10-04-2013, 12:30 AM
Careful here, in the big handguns it is used for absolute max. loads, top velocities in the .357,.44,. 454, etc... It's usefulness in most rifle cals. is just the opposite, light loads with smaller amounts of powder.

Photog
10-05-2013, 02:22 PM
MP-300 is one step slower on the Burn Chart from 2400. Should give you an idea of applications. Alliant powders now seem to have very small steps in relative quickness. For rifles, that slightly slower powder will mean slightly higher velocities can be achieved, but at the expense of using more powder, and less pressure with reduced loads. The next step slower goes to RL-7. All depends on your intent. I have had good luck with 1200-R in reduced CB loads in 7.5swiss and 30-06, getting clean burns, but using 20gr of powder. Or I have used Power Pistol (slower than Unique) using 12-14g for less velocity but great accuracy. SO FAR Alliant powders don't have the dreaded SEE kabooms problem, that's limited to W296 (slow pistol) and other SLOW rifle powders, and those are fairly rare too.