PDA

View Full Version : Stock up Now??

MNruss
10-25-2007, 05:34 PM
There's a lot of good experience to draw on here.
I've a question for those here who've seen prices rise & fall before.
I reload w/ cast, but I won't be able to start casting for a couple of years.
So, should I stock up on lead & molds now, or wait until I'm a little closer to setting up? There's a coupla' GB's that sure look interesting.
Thanks!

Bret4207
10-25-2007, 05:42 PM
Better start now. Prices only go up!

44woody
10-25-2007, 05:43 PM
that is simple to answer YES do it now while you can :castmine: 44Woody

felix
10-25-2007, 05:47 PM
No, don't get tempted. It appears you have other household expenses which are necessary. Keep this gun stuff entirely as a pass-away-time deal. There are no bargins to be had unless volume plays a significant part. Example: You stumble upon a warehouse going out of business. They have really, really cheap powder and primers that fit what you ALREADY have, in terms of existing capital, to a tee. Then, and only then, should you participate, but only enough to augment exactly what you need to run your current capital (guns). In other words, nothing new, but only replenishment. ... felix

mooman76
10-25-2007, 05:55 PM
I'd start looking for lead now. It is harder and harder to come by plus it takes time to get the contacts that you need to supply you. The moulds and other stuff will always be there.

Leftoverdj
10-25-2007, 07:54 PM
It's rare I disagree with Felix, but finding lead is a lot more difficult than paying for it. There are still $10 buckets of WW out there, and, poor as I am, I can scrape up a few bucks when I run into them. The other stuff can wait, but stockpile lead while you can. It's not a major investment.

shooter93
10-25-2007, 08:46 PM
I'm with Felix....household expenses always have to be thought of first. It will keep marital harmony if you're married, things like heat bills and Property taxes will go up faster than lead. I've been at this a vey long time and have never had trouble finding lead. He's also right I think on the quanity deals....if it isn't bulk buying there's rarely a great deal to be found...occasionally...yes....the norm...no. And I'll probably be the odd man out...but I think in the future lead prices will drop as lead is being used in fewer and fewer things and you shift to buying lead in bulk from foundries.

grumpy one
10-25-2007, 09:09 PM
In support of felix's position, quite a few years ago a friend got married and, in a state of great discomfort, offered to sell me his 1911 Colt. It was an early commercial model, with the 1917 patent date but not the 1919 date, and it had the very long hammer spur. Condition was excellent except for the barrel and the locking link. The deal included an equally excellent Ace 22 conversion (the one with the "recoil amplifier"). Asking price was US$175 for the lot. Knowing he cherished the thing I asked him why he was willing to sell it. The answer: "We have to buy curtains."

He didn't get it wrong. Ten years later he asked for both items back, and of course I sold them back for what I'd paid him - he's a friend. By then his household was set up and his marriage was well established. Life is all about priorities.

454PB
10-25-2007, 09:50 PM
Yup...lead, powder, primers, and brass are really getting expensive----but a divorce can wipe you out in a heartbeat!

Jim
10-26-2007, 07:31 AM
I'm with Felix. My sweetheart knows how important my hobby is to me(and she shoots with me!), but I'm willing to show her that she's much more important than a bucket of WWs, a brick of primers or a 8 lb. jug of powder. If it comes down to one or the other, I'll sell a rifle or do without components in a New York second.

StrawHat
10-26-2007, 08:36 AM
Yup...lead, powder, primers, and brass are really getting expensive----but a divorce can wipe you out in a heartbeat!

Ain't that the truth!

Not trying to steal this thread or change it to a "I will NEVER sell my guns" thread but priorities need be set.

If you can afford to do so, buy now. If it is a choice between lead or food for you, your belt size can answer hat one.

If a choice between lead or food for the family...

mauser1959
10-26-2007, 09:10 AM
I think that the simple answer is one that is a compromise. Get what you need for the house and at the same time start picking up the small purchases as you can . A lb of powder now and again , a box of primers, and a simple single stage press can all be had reasonably after the household bills are taken care of . If your like most people you drink several sodas a day , giving up that habit for a bit of reloading supplies can pay itself off in a short time period. When I am reloading with my single stage I can only load a bit over a hundred rounds per hour at a leisurely pace , but it is still just as satisfying as when I stick on my progressive. And as many have said , start looking for your lead suppliers, those are going to be the problem for the near future... might be that you will have to give up a 12 pack of beer or case of beer for some lead; but if your like a number of us , you probably drink to much stuff other than water anyways. And even if you only use a simple lee single stager ( which can be had very cheaply at a lot of gun auctions) that will still set you on the road; one of our locals Emanual Bragg uses a Lee and has won the USPSA several times now: so I guess what I am really saying is you do not have to jump into it all at once , just slowly build up as you go and have fun . I know that when I first started reloading I jumped in with both feet; but at that time I had plenty of money , now that I am disabled I am glad that I did , but few people have had the changes that I have had.
That and remember to record everything that you do , a few years from now you might wish to go back to get some info that is no longer being put out by the companies. I know that I recently had that issue with IMF powders , but I still had my photocopied sheets that I had used several years ago. And above all be safe, and read all the free information that you can get your hands on.

MNruss
10-26-2007, 04:43 PM
Wow! So many responses, & so varied!
My situation involves a pregnant wife who is not interested in having any sort of lead fumes anywhere around.
She tolerates my loading - even got me a Lee Classic Turret a couple of Christmas'es ago:-D:-D.
She's a keeper.

Leftoverdj
10-26-2007, 05:38 PM
Wow! So many responses, & so varied!
My situation involves a pregnant wife who is not interested in having any sort of lead fumes anywhere around.
She tolerates my loading - even got me a Lee Classic Turret a couple of Christmas'es ago:-D:-D.
She's a keeper.

Special case. Fertile women and infants are ten times more vulnerable to lead than men. I'll agree with her that rules out in home casting. It should not rule out the accumulation and storage of solid lead, with due precautions, for future use. It's the vapors and dust that are a danger.

I don't know your circumstances, but I've been poor all my life and never so poor I could not find $10 or $20 without depriving my family. Been times it meant skipping a few lunches or foregoing something else I wanted, but that was on me, not them.

Long time ago, I got the best advice of my life from a marriage counsellor, "You have to take care of yourself to be any good to anyone else." That does not condone being greedy about it, but it's a lot easier to function when you have a little satisfaction yourself. Didn't save the marriage, which was doomed by that time, but did save me.

Ricochet
10-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Special case. Fertile women and infants are ten times more vulnerable to lead than men. I'll agree with her that rules out in home casting. It should not rule out the accumulation and storage of solid lead, with due precautions, for future use. It's the vapors and dust that are a danger.
I'll agree that you have to "go along to get along," but the concern about lead exposure from casting is not fact based.

Ghugly
10-27-2007, 03:27 PM
I'll agree that you have to "go along to get along," but the concern about lead exposure from casting is not fact based.

I'm willing to bet that the fear is real.

Misfire99
10-28-2007, 02:48 AM
You got to keep your priorities straight. Should you buy shoes for your son or lead to cast bullets with????? Well gee the kids feet just keep getting bigger so buying shoes now is just a waste of money so buy the lead for Pete's sake. :drinks:

I hope everybody knows this is a joke. I think I will share my parenting principles. Gives your kids what every they want when they want it. If you do this right away you will find they want very little. Mostly it is your time and love that they want. If you give them your time and love and keep them away for commercial TV you will have some very nice kids. I did that with mine and both of them have been in the news paper because they look so happy when they play.

Bret4207
10-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Well, if there's kids on the way and you're just starting out that changes things. You gotta take care of them first. Sad fact of life #1- YOUR wants and needs come AFTER her wants and needs. Wonder who established that idea...........