PDA

View Full Version : Broke-back Krag

blixen
09-13-2013, 06:30 PM
As some of you have noticed, I had been hunting for a Krag sporter as a cast boolit rifle.

Out of the blue, I've been offered one for $100. Here's the catch: The after-market sporter stock is badly cracked under the action and has a chip the size of your thumb out of the wrist, under the bolt handle. Looks like someone dropped it off a horse. (Sorry, no fotos.)

But the metal looks very good, from the serial # it's a 1903. Couldn't find cracks in the bolt -- but I only inspected with a magnifier. The bore is way dirty, but I can see some rough rifling.

It's got a 40s receiver sight on it and an after-market ramp front sight.

I might be able to stabilize the crack to shoot it with light loads, but ultimately I'll need a stock. (?)And, of course, I'll have to invest another $100 in brass and loading dies.

Here's the rub--I'm tapped out moneywise (.300 Savage Japanese sporter project).

Is it an amazing deal that I should beg/borrow the $ for? Or pass it up and buy one of the $350-$400 Krag sporters that pop up from time to time.

Reg
09-13-2013, 06:36 PM
Well, the action , if in good condition and perhaps the sights might be worth the C note but a new stock is well in order and that might not be cheap. Also you say the bore is rough-- sounds like possibly be a new barrel as well.
Just how much are you willing to add to that first 100?

Multigunner
09-13-2013, 09:19 PM
For $100 I'd buy it for the action alone.
Pre disastered it would be great for a true custom sporter project.
Of course I've done quite a bit of stock work over the years, though not carving one from raw wood.
Should be stock blanks available.

Krag stocks are weak under the action. I've seen a couple that looked like they'd cracked simply from swelling and shrinking in moist climates.

I once passed up an other wise great (perfect bore unmarred metal finish, all correct) Nickel Steel 1903 in a hardly used C stock because the stock had broken midway of the magazine well. (sounds of me kicking my own butt for the one thousandth time) I figured it for a saddle scabbard fall accident as well. They still have mounted patrols in Hawaii last I heard. In the 70's they were using 100+ year old cavalry saddles refurbished for the purpose. Saw a article on the saddles, most needed only re-stitching and some oiling.
No telling about what sort of mounted use an 03 may have seen.

The Krags were major sporting rifles all across the U S for most of a century. No doubt many were carried in saddle scabbards on rough mountain trails.

If the bore looks rough after cleaning, have it lead lapped by a professional. If it won't group after that look for a new barrel. Re-pro Krag barrels have been available at times.
Even better if you found a cracked receiver military trim Krag or deactivated wall hanger you could strip for stock , fittings, and hopefully decent barrel, and restore using this action.

Fact is I might invest in the action alone as a keepsake even If I never got around to building a rifle on it. I love that archaic and ingenious design.

smoked turkey
09-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Sounds like a good investment for spare parts if nothing else. I have noticed that spare parts for those old rifles are not easily found.

Old Coot
09-13-2013, 10:20 PM
Boyd's carries inletted stocks to fit the Kraq, for less than a $100.

DeanWinchester
09-13-2013, 10:25 PM
The title had me thinking maybe some gay cowboy carried a Krag rifle.

Multigunner
09-13-2013, 10:58 PM
When salvaged parts are scrubbed of their serial number and stamped with the number of a rifle they were used to repair its called "Force Matching" or "Humping".
Maybe some one humped this rifle till its stock broke.

Bzcraig
09-13-2013, 11:35 PM

That is funny!

gnoahhh
09-14-2013, 09:19 AM
I would scrounge up the money for it and salt it away for a future project. As stated, the action and receiver sight are worth that money.

A new Criterion barrel will cost $200 + installation. Stocks are all over the place, both physically and price-wise. If your goal is to end up with a good shooting as-issued rifle, then perhaps you're better off waiting to buy an original one as the add-ons for this one will surely run you over the cost of one of those. If you're looking for a neat Krag sporter/shooter, buy this one and make it into what suits you. Just my 2¢.

blixen
09-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the grist for thought.

To clarify--the broken stock is aftermarket.

I checked around for an after-market sporter stock but the best i could find was $150--an aftermarket replacement carbine stock would be about $200 with the uppwer forearm.

My intent is a nice CB rifle. That long-necked 30-40 case looks about perfect for CB loading. I would probably glue the crack, fill the chip (it's big) and shoot it with plinker loads until I figure out what to do. I guess you're right. I could always sell the parts alone or build something else.

Of course, I have at least four projects underway now.

If it isn't gone next week, maybe I'll give him a low-ball offer.

Glad y'all got the broke-back joke.

blixen
09-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Scounging for money.

blixen
09-14-2013, 10:04 PM
Thanks for twisting my arm I got the Krag. Post fotos tomorrow.

Mark Daiute
09-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Now start trolling fleebay for a chopped millitary stock and start scrubbing that bore. I bet you can come up with a shooter for under two bills. One of the best shooters I've had, had a bore that looked horrible but it shot 314299's sized .312 like a house-afire. I still miss that rifle.

missionary5155
09-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Greetings
Over the years I have bought every "good deal" Krag that came around. Worst is a caliber .316 throated 1896. But once I realised the situation it turns in good bowling pin accuracy at 100 yards. Just have to realise those throats are not going to be a nice small .310 diameter all the time (if any time). You did good !
Mike in Peru

gnoahhh
09-15-2013, 10:44 AM
Bravo! One of my favorite Krags years ago (1896 Carbine) had a miserable looking bore, but shot quite well with hard 311284's at ±1600fps.

blixen
09-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Put a couple patches through the bore and after the first one, they came out clean! Apparently there was just a layer of fuzzy dust in the bore. The rifling is there, unpitted but it seems slight. I've never looked down the bore of a Krag before, so I'm not familiar with the way its rifling is supposed look.

I need to take a better look down the tube with good lights and lenses (my ol' peepers ain't what they were). I'll slug the bore as soon as I've got a chance.

In the photos you can see the damage. Big chip under the bolt handle. And on the left side, just ahead of the receiver sight, you can see a smaller chip and some cracks. Seems to be a web of cracks through down through the wrist too. I'll have to disassemble it to explore inside the stock.

Shame, because it's a Beautiful piece of walnut. Also the sporterizing looks high-quality--Bubba never got near this rifle.

Purchase squeezed the budget, but the owner knocked a few bucks off and threw a soft case into the deal. Just cycling the action is a pleasure. I own some mausers, Arisaka and an SMLE, but nothing is as smooth as this Krag.