PDA

View Full Version : Help with someone to fix a 1953 Belgium Browning O/U and loose vent rib?

JesterGrin_1
09-13-2013, 06:30 PM
As said I have a 1953 Belgium Browning O/U with a loose vent rib and would sure like to find someone that could fix it without ripping my head off?

It was given to me by my Father 42 years ago and it has been my only real shot gun that I have used from Dove hunting to competition. So of course it shows wear but honest wear. And the rib is loose near the receiver. I was going to send the barrel to Browning but was told it might not be a good idea? I have no idea to be honest. But I would like to find someone that could take care of it for me at a reasonable cost?

Thank You for any help.

RickinTN
09-13-2013, 07:00 PM
Midwest gun works. Probably the best for what you are wanting. Keep in mind that after the repair the barrels cannot be hot blued or the side ribs and all will come apart. Midwest will know how to treat it. It may be pricey but if you let someone else who doesn't know what they are doing it would cost you much more to correct their mess.
Good Luck,
Rick

W.R.Buchanan
09-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Jester: I definitely would do some research on this, and consult the guys over at www.trapshooters.com for advice on who to send it to.

This is one you don't want to give to just anyone. You need to be sure they know what they are doing.

They do shotguns over there and they WILL know who does the good work. In fact I will ask for you since I frequent that site as well as here.

Be right back.

Randy

W.R.Buchanan
09-14-2013, 10:00 PM
Jester: I got several answers at Trapshooters.com

Here's the best one.

The best is Art Isaacson, at Art's Gun Shop. Google and you will find it. Watch the video at the site on repairing a loose rib. Art worked at the old Browning repair shop in the 60's and 70's, and is the best there is. Midwest Gun Works is also very very good and may be slightly cheaper. It is not a cheap repair. The old rib must be removed, resoldered and the barrels reblued. Watch the video.

the two that came up came up repeatedly. good luck.

Randy

JesterGrin_1
09-15-2013, 03:24 AM
Thank You W.R.Buchanan I will look into it.

I do not have funds falling out of my pockets. But it is a shame to me to just put aside such a fine old Shotgun. Besides I am used to the heavy tank lol.

I know I know sure it was made before Steel Shot. Also it is just for 2 3/4 " shells and maybe the mod/Imp Mod chokes are not ideal to some. But if you are used to something and it works then it is hard to replace. :)

Here's the best one.

The best is Art Isaacson, at Art's Gun Shop. Google and you will find it. Watch the video at the site on repairing a loose rib. Art worked at the old Browning repair shop in the 60's and 70's, and is the best there is. Midwest Gun Works is also very very good and may be slightly cheaper. It is not a cheap repair. The old rib must be removed, resoldered and the barrels reblued. Watch the video.

Randy

elk hunter
09-15-2013, 09:02 AM
Brownells carries a product they call "Black Max" it's "loctite 380". I used it to stick a rib back on a shotgun for a friend about three years ago and so far it's still holding. Might be worth a try.

JesterGrin_1
09-20-2013, 12:13 AM
W.R.Buchanan I gave Art a call. Did not talk to Art though lol. But they did seem like good people. But at the moment they are swamped for a couple of months. But I will check back with them and send them my barrels to have the rib redone and re-blued. Still kicking around if I should have them do the receiver as well?

For just the barrel work I was told around 4 bills. Which really does not seem bad since I know I can not replace it with another for anywhere near 4 lol.

Here's the best one.

Randy

gnoahhh
09-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Sounds like a plan.

I used a paste solder called Swif 95 (or something like that) from Brown-give me all your money-ell's to reattach a a rib on a Miroku O/U that sounds exactly like your rib problem. It wasn't very difficult, requiring more prep work than what the actual job took to do. I didn't have to, but I wanted to try and do it myself. Still holding after eight years. (I then rust blued the barrels myself, although they really didn't need it after I was done soldering. A good touch up blue would've sufficed.)