PDA

View Full Version : Shot the P53 Enfield today Napal copy!

Freightman
09-13-2013, 04:59 PM
I finally got it to the range, shot not to bad considering the age and makers of the rifle.
I started with 50gr of Black Powder and worked up to 60 I wasn't trying to push anything in a 150 year old rifle. Shoots 3" left and 6" high cover the holes with my hand at 50 yds so I am happy the 60 gr worked best the 50 had a few keyholes sixty none. Very pleasant to shoot and not a problem to clean I am happy.
Was shooting .585 Minie ball RCBS mold 465gr dead soft lead shot 21 balls and could have done twice as many but didn't have them without patching. Never be a tack driver but fun.

fouronesix
09-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Sounds good to me! Shooting "history" is its own reward. Those Nepalese Enfields have a unique past. You might even do a little better with some experimentation and fiddling with loads. True about the minié in that they either fly or don't- they operate right on the "knife's edge" of stability. In one or two of my minié shooters it takes a shot or two without cleaning before each shot thereafter is fully stabilized and doesn't yaw or "keyhole". I have no idea exactly how the fouled bore accounts for that?? Whereas, it's likely in your case, 60 gr is required to get full skirt to groove engagement, seal the bore and get the thing started in the right direction and nose first.

Freightman
09-14-2013, 06:08 PM
I will be experimenting with the minie and patched RB as I got my RB mold today it showed promise for a 150 + musket but even if it doesn't improve it has character.
That was all the ninie balls I had that size my mold drops .577 so may have to PP and see what happens. The ones I used were from a oversize mold from the man I got the rifle from but I bet PP will work

fouronesix
09-14-2013, 08:26 PM
I can only assume the .585s you had were from the Lyman 585213. That mold is hard to find. I think, but could be mistaken, Lyman made that mold for the Snider conversions but discovered how small the market was and dropped it. Track does sell miniés cast from that mold. It'll be interesting to see how the PRBs shoot.

Freightman
09-16-2013, 12:43 PM
The man i got the rifle from sent the .585 minie balls so I do not have the mold, I have a mold can't tell the brand as it has mo markings that drops .576 + - so I will see if it works

fouronesix
09-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Misread the .576, so had to delete that post :( - too bad it's not .586!
Won't hurt to try the .576 though.