PDA

View Full Version : Black Parkerizing vrs Dura Coat

KCSO
09-13-2013, 04:13 PM
As a test and to spruce up an old gun I recently refinished a semi auto 1/2 and 1/2 with the top in black parkerizing and the bottom in Dura Coat. I then put the gun into a holster and have been carrying it for a couple weeks. After two weeks in and out of the holster and bouncing around in the glove box of the car I am surprised and somewhat amazed at the results. The Dura Coat seems to be standing the gaff just as good as the parkerizing. I currently show no wear on either the top or the bottom but I sure thought the edges of the Dura coat would show some chipping by now. I was also very happy with the colors as the Black park and the Dura Coat are almot identical in color and you would really have to scope the gun out to tell which was which. The only wear, if you can call it that on the dura coat is were the slide and frame rub and a couple more boxes of shels and the park will show wear there too. IMHO the Dura Coat is going to stand up pretty darn well in the long run and I wouldn't be afraid to replace the finish on any gun with Dura Coat.

baker1425
09-13-2013, 10:57 PM
Pics? I had a Caspian in the white slide parked and then duracoated. It has lasted, but its not a daily carry gun.

Pirate69
10-01-2013, 03:24 PM
I am planning on trying my hand at Duracoating a couple of rifles that I am putting together. Good to hear of your findings.

Ehaver
11-10-2013, 02:18 AM
I have herd that aluma-hyde from brownells works very well, I personaly used caliper paint on a gun... I have yet to test the durability. Its almost been a week and I am going to scratch test it with various objects... I can report back the results.

wow this tread is old...

nekshot
11-10-2013, 08:52 AM
I like aluma-hyde and from expierence I let it cure longer than they say on can. I don't think it will come close to Dura Coat in durability.