PDA

View Full Version : anyone own a rossi 92 in 44 mag ?

sandman228
09-13-2013, 12:10 PM
i just picked up a new rossi 92 44 mag 20 inch barrel . I took it to the range for the 1st time today it did ok but to tell the truth im much more impressed with my rossi 92 357 mag 16 inch. usually with the 357 I end up with a large cluster of holes all grouped together in center of target . the 44 not so much I realize this was the 1st outing with it ive got to play around with different loads and all . the accuracy at 25 yrds wasn't bad but I was expecting better and nicer grouping I guess. I was shooting 240 gr swc bullets casted from straight wheel weights over 15 gr of bluedot 1.600 oal out of the rossi and my super Blackhawk. the leading was bad I had to scrub the barrel with a 50 cal bore brush I usually use in my inline. also I was surprised at how it ejected cases. my 357 practicly launches them into the next county, this 44 it pretty much drops them becide the gun or flings them back into my nose or forehead(im a lefty). I realize I'll just have to live with that but I would like to find an accurate load that don't lead as bad. for the most part just a plinking load I gave up hunting a while back . and also my 357 has 38 or 357 mag stamped on barrel , this 1 only says 44 mag has anyone tried to shoot 44 spl out of 1 of these ?

unclogum bill
09-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Holy smokes another lefty. I bought one with short barrel. 44 mag at a gun show. slight crack forming in stock but otherwise looked like new. Discovered that not all my cast liked to cycle through it and accurate , well 50 yards was good, but not great. One fellow claims the barrel , if slugged in these guns would show that oversized cast is called for, perhaps up to .431. jacketed ammo does seem to do better. Ejection , yes shells easy to find but have not been hit with any. One guy asked me what good the rifle was, Not much, but some fun was all I could say. Self defense, bear country ,my Charles Daly 12 gauge pump would always be my pick. I have not experimented enough to see what shoots best in it, but if I was so inclined first step would be to slug the barrel. Hope this helps some.

Pb2au
09-13-2013, 01:33 PM
I would definitely suggest slugging the barrel. The most simple answer is usually the correct one.
Good luck, we need some pictures of the rifle!

crappie-hunter
09-13-2013, 01:36 PM
My Rossi 92 slugs at .433 , so I had Veral Smith make a mold that drops at .435, .436 and I size to .434, That cured the leading problem. Still not as accurate as my 92 357 but plenty accurate for deer.

I would suspect your 92 has a similar condition, slug the bore and then get a mold that you can size .001 over bore diam.

Verals 280gr.LFN is a good choice, but I understand he has had an accident with propane and was badly burned and may be behind on orders,you will just have to contact him and see what his situation is.

Also I lapped the bore with one of Veral's lapping kits and his instructions, this also seemed to help with leading.

Another great improvement for me as far as accuracy, was to install peep sights ,71 year old eyes??

Don't give up on the rossi you'll get it to shoot.

ISME
09-13-2013, 02:09 PM
I have the trapper with a sixteen inch barell and its my favorite rifle. Yes you can shoot 44 special in it or even 44 russian just watch for chamber leading. I use mine for cowboy action and hunting I still don't cast for 44 ( still a casting newbie only 3 calibers so far) . I shoot 200grn lrn and 240 grn lswc from x caliber
and it does great.

hornady308
09-13-2013, 09:51 PM
I have the R92 version of the 44mag and it works great. My plinking load is 6.4 grains of Green Dot under a 200 grain cast bullet. It shoots minute of tin can at 75 yards and recoil is not an issue. My barrel mics at .430, so any .431 bullet works fine. I typically like Blue Dot, but I have yet to come up with a load using that powder that was acceptably accurate.

Ragnarok
09-14-2013, 01:31 AM
I bought a stainless 20" M92 a couple three or so years ago...really as a utility gun to truck around with me with enough beans to kill what I want.

It's a 240gr gun..does fair with other bullet weights...but for best shooting it definitely shines only with the heavier bullets

Geobru
09-14-2013, 04:35 AM
As others have said, slug the barrel to find out what the bore diameter really is. Mine slugs at .431, so I have a couple molds that drop at .432-.433. Size to .432 and all is good. I was nonplussed by the results of the first outing that I had, but after slugging, I understood the problem and fixed it.
They are really nice little guns and are fun to shoot.

helice
09-15-2013, 12:49 AM
Yup! What he said. Slug it.

sandman228
09-15-2013, 01:04 PM
well I slugged it this morning and was supprised to see .429 . I shot it a little more yesterday with same 240 gr swc bullets just a much milder load 9 gr of herco the accuracy at 25 yrds was ok and little to no leading this time . I did notice a few other things though when I bought the rifle it had a weaver style base on the barrel for a scout scope , I don't really want to put any optic on it if I don't have to so I took the base off put dummy screws in the holes and installed the factory buckhorn sight that was in the box . anyhow it was shooting a little low so I raised the rear sight 1 click. after a few shots it was hitting low again I checked the sight it was back down where it was before . there don't seem to be enough tension on it to hold it in place if you raise it a click or 2 the little bit of recoil causes it to go all the way back down . I also noticed after 2 outings with the gun it seems every screw was 1 and a half to 2 turns out everything worked loose so I had to snug it all back up . I also noticed a few issues with the wood mostly forearm by barrel band I cleaned it up a bit. im not trying to ramble on but I think maybe rossi has some quality issues they should work on .

runfiverun
09-16-2013, 01:32 AM
since Taurus took them over what did you expect?
the newer ones do generally have larger diameter barrels.
my 24" stainless does fine with the lyman 429667 plain based rnfp, the magma 240 rnfp,
[I modified the lifter so it will feed] the 429241, and occasionally I use the rcbs 240 swc gas check all sized to .430.
the rifle will shoot all of them equally as well.
7 grs of 231, 9.3 grs of unique, 19.3 grs of 2400, 10 grs of 800-x or herco, or 12 grs of steel powder does excellent under all of them.
the 2400 load will put 5 of them touching at 100 yds when i'm having a good day and is my main big game hunting load.

Sgtonory
10-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Anyone know where i could get a .433 sizer for a lyman 45. My bore slugged just below .432

43PU
10-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Mine would not group until I sized my lee 430 310 to 431 using a stiff load of H110, I can ring a 12 inch plate at 225 yards all day with it (young eyes)

I have killed a few bear with it In Idaho when I lived there, and it does a dandy job

43PU

luvtn
10-10-2013, 10:37 PM
I had one. I never could shoot more than 5 bullets at a range session due to the recoil being so brutal. I shoot 12 ga and have never had a bruised shoulder. That one bruised my shoulder each and every time so I sold it(the metal on the butt did it). It had a 20 inch barrel, metal follower and the "safety" removed. The original sights were worthless, necessitating replacements from Steve's Gunz. I really wanted to like the gun, but pain caused me to sell.
lt

metalbender
10-10-2013, 10:59 PM
Recoil in a 44 mag Rossi ??? Surely you jest. Shoot my regular stock Ranch hand with 300 gr XTP, pure pleasure. Plinking rounds with 200 gr cast just gives a little bump. Love the gun, same plinkers for the Ruger super blackhawk.

Rick N Bama
10-11-2013, 07:55 AM
Anyone know where i could get a .433 sizer for a lyman 45. My bore slugged just below .432

Try Buckshot who is a member of this board, he made a .434" die for me to use for my Rossi with its .433" bore. It works great!

Rick