PDA

View Full Version : from roll to fold crimping

hitch.bd
09-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Hi folks,
I cast and load slugs for my 12g. I do have a roll crimper but absolutely hate using it. It is time consuming, It shortens the life of the hull (they don't make the good compression formed AA hulls I use any more) and I am terrible at it.
Has anyone figured out if and what the pressure difference between roll crimping and fold crimping is and if reducing the powder charge will compensate for the difference?
I would like to take one of my loads and change it to fold crimp but I am too chicken Schlitz to try it without direction!
Thanks for your input!
Hitch

jmort
09-13-2013, 11:08 AM
Roll crimps typically produce less pressure. But most shell are crimped and work just fine. Not a big deal if you follow proven load data.

hitch.bd
09-13-2013, 04:57 PM
Thanks. jmortimer. I am using loads from my Lyman 5th edition, so just use that data and I should be alright fold crimping instead of roll crimping, hey?

UNIQUEDOT
09-13-2013, 05:38 PM
If you're using published roll crimp data you most likely wont be able to use the exact same load with a fold crimp as there wont be enough room left for a proper fold crimp.

hitch.bd
09-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Since I ran out of bluedot powder (can't find more anywhere), I have had to resort to using a "unique powder" load.
it calls for 2x .125 cards between the wad and slug... it should be close if I eliminate them as they are only for filler any way!

I also found a load for Rem or Fed hull with 800x powder, wad and 1/2 " fiber wad between wad and slug... I can use a 1/4" fiber as filler and that will make lots more room for fold.
what do you think? does this sound reasonable?

UNIQUEDOT
09-13-2013, 08:12 PM
Yes, eliminating the fillers should work in getting the room you need. What type of press will you be using? a lee load all will give the best looking crimp starts on new hulls and works better than anything else I've tried when folding hulls that previously had a roll crimp, but the press doesn't have the capability of adjusting crimp depth. It is still a great tool to have on hand if only for starting crimps. It has a full length crimp starter with a very close tolerance in the mouth area and sharp steep segments and too the nylon they use is self lubricating, but I still need to run some finished rounds through my mec to set the crimp.

hitch.bd
09-13-2013, 09:36 PM
I have a MEC 8567 progressive that I use. I gave my bro in law my Lee load all when he started reloading.
Thanks for all your help! I'll load some up tonight and flip a coin between hunting or load testing for tomorrow!!

SuperBlazingSabots
03-13-2021, 11:32 AM
Greetings, The fold crimp sure is the only way to go, all my test were all done with fold crimp.
My two Drill presses being wasted with 12 and 20 roll crimpers, what a shame for its a thing of the past !
https://i.imgur.com/QOQsSxa.jpg
I payed $55 to 60 for the 20 ga roll crimper and did not even get the drill press adapter, got cheated.
What's funny is that was a special reduced price for me ! !
Have you heard a better joke !

No wonder most all loaders come equipped with fold crimpers ! !

We all know pressure is our friend in the effort to consistence, loading accuracy and fold crimp along with Magnum primers help us achieve our goals.

Ajay K. Madan
Super Blazing Sabots