PDA

View Full Version : Tumbler timer

Gliden07
09-13-2013, 09:28 AM
I've been pretty busy lately, to much going on and not enough time!! The other day I threw some brass from the wet tumbler into my media tumbler (after drying of course) to get a little polish on them so they stay looking good. Get the media tumbler going walk away, totally forgot about it!! Tumbler ran for almost 2 days before I went down cellar to do some laundry and shut it off!! So I decided to build a plug in timer for it. Got a 12 hour spring wound timer in a clearance rack for 10 bucks, mounted it in a 4" square box on a raised cover that had a space for the timer and a duplex outlet. Took less than a half hour to put together. Of course had to try it out so I put some more brass in it set the timer for 6 hours, it works GREAT!! Should have made this thing a year ago!! The one good thing is the brass I forgot about was BEAUTIFUL!!

joesig
09-13-2013, 10:19 AM
Ten bucks is a good deal for the spring timer.

I have used the cheap timers with the On-Off "pins". I just turn it on manually and use an "Off" pin set X hours later.

montana_charlie
09-13-2013, 12:34 PM
Get the media tumbler going walk away, totally forgot about it!! Tumbler ran for almost 2 days before I went down cellar to do some laundry and shut it off!!
Yeah, I have done that, too ... but on purpose.
I set a load of .44 Remington Magnum brass to turning, and didn't take it out until it was reduced down to .357 Mag.

CM

Walter Laich
09-13-2013, 12:57 PM
went with the mechanical timer, too. Only left mine on for 36 hours

dbosman
09-13-2013, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I have done that, too ... but on purpose.
I set a load of .44 Remington Magnum brass to turning, and didn't take it out until it was reduced down to .357 Mag.
CM

That must have been very hot water.

Gliden07
09-13-2013, 11:23 PM
yeah, i have done that, too ... But on purpose.
I set a load of .44 remington magnum brass to turning, and didn't take it out until it was reduced down to .357 mag.

Cm

lol!!!!!

Epd230
09-14-2013, 12:35 PM
Ten bucks is a good deal for the spring timer.

I have used the cheap timers with the On-Off "pins". I just turn it on manually and use an "Off" pin set X hours later.

I got one of these from Goodwill for .99

dragonrider
09-14-2013, 01:15 PM
I have two photographic timers that I use with my tumblers. 1 hr maximum.

David2011
09-14-2013, 02:48 PM
Gliden,

I did the same thing a few years ago and am very pleased with it the decision. I had been letting my tumbler run overnight almost every night. Eventually a motor burned out. I put one of the spring timers in a 4x4 metal box with a duplex outlet and an air conditioner duty extension cord. Since then I added a Dillon 2000 and both tumblers can plug into a single timer that way. I seldom polish for more than 2 hours. I made another one for my lead furnace inserting a single width box and timer inline on a 14 gauge extension cord that was shortened. It was far less expensive than buying bulk cable and male/female ends. While I have not gone off and left the lead pot running so far, this is insurance should I get distracted.

I have a Gralab darkroom timer but had concerns about using it for the furnace because of the 800 watt demand of the furnace. I do use it in the loading room, to help pace my fills and dumps. I use it to find out how fast I'm cycling rather than to determine how fast I should cycle.

David

Gliden07
09-14-2013, 10:57 PM
That's an awesome deal!! I had been looking a little while and couldn't find one for less than 30 bucks! Checked Ebay local tag sales and Goodwill type places. Got lucky went to my local Hardware store for some parts for a up/down target I was building for my clubs IDPA shoots. While I was there checked out there clearance rack and there it was!! So I scooped it up!!

I got one of these from Goodwill for .99

blikseme300
09-15-2013, 10:04 PM
I picked up an electronic timer unit on clearance for $10 at Lowes that is typically used for outdoor lighting. It uses a remote and has 2, 4, 6 & 8 hour increments. I typically only tumble using STM for 2 hours so this timer works well. Yes, I too left a tumbler on much longer than necessary...

Gliden07
09-15-2013, 11:21 PM
I was gonna get one of those had I not come across the Timer I did. I was actually waiting for my local hardware store (same place I found the spring wound timer) to put them on sale. They always have them on sale around Halloween time for decorations. Does yours have a photo cell on it too?

I picked up an electronic timer unit on clearance for $10 at Lowes that is typically used for outdoor lighting. It uses a remote and has 2, 4, 6 & 8 hour increments. I typically only tumble using STM for 2 hours so this timer works well. Yes, I too left a tumbler on much longer than necessary...

blikseme300
09-16-2013, 08:04 AM
No photo cell. GE logo, China made. Ill post a pic this evening.

Moonman
09-16-2013, 09:25 AM
I use a "DO-IT" electric timer.

Push Button, 1-2-4-8 hour settings.

I use it on a Thumbler's Tumbler with S.S. Pins/Dawn/Lemi-Shine.

Works for me.