PDA

View Full Version : 9mm cb help

AlaskanGuy
09-12-2013, 09:18 PM
Hey guys,

I just got a Lee 6 cavity TL356-124-2r mold as a present from the wife for HER 9mm... I think she is trying to drop a hint... I need to work up a load for her that is mild enough for her to shoot a lot but is still fairly acurate. Powder is a real problem where i live (remote alaska) but i do have a good supply of the following powders....

Hodgdon 4350
IMR 4064
Imr 3031
Alliant 2400
Imr hi-skor 800-x

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and could possibly grant me some "special" return favors :bigsmyl2: Any ideas out there???

Thanks,

AG
AlaskanGuy

MattOrgan
09-13-2013, 06:46 AM
The only powder you list suitable for the 9mm is IMR 800x.

Hodgdon's 2012 annual manual list 4.5 grains of 800x as a starting load for a 125 gr lead bullet in 9mm with a max load of 5.5 grains. I shoot 5.0 grains with a Lyman 356402 125 grain TC in my Glock with good reliability, accuracy, and low recoil.

AlaskanGuy
09-13-2013, 11:07 AM
Thanks so much for your help...... I only cast for rifle till now..... And this will be a new thing for me... :-o

mroliver77
09-13-2013, 06:02 PM
A lot of people have trouble with cast in a 9mm. Especially people that have never shot cast in a pistol. You might want to read everything you can about it first.
The search feature for Cast Boolits does not work well but here is a custom Googler search.
https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=001951264366462437169:ggn3vg-bjum

From what I have read here most have trouble with too small a boolit and/or lube that is not up to the task.
Good luck.
Jay

bdecker9
09-13-2013, 06:17 PM
hey man i'm going thru this right now for my ruger sr9. let us know how the tumble lube boolits turn out. lots of people say they tumble on the way to the target. once you get it to not lead you should have no problems load the 9mm. neither of the guns i load for are picky. except when doing light-light loads. like under the starting grains. good luck and tell us about your exp, thanks and welcome, decker

zubrato
09-15-2013, 06:04 PM
I'm interested in this thread, and would like to know how things got along!
I'm looking to purchase a 6 banger TL356-124-TC mold to cast straight WW & ice water quench for an OEM g19/g26 barrel.
Is it necessary to size for a glock barrel? I also use 800x pretty extensively, and like it for plated. Is there a lot of leading?
I've heard many people have terrible results with the Lee FCD, do you use the crimp from the seating die, or at all?
How much flaring of the mouth is necessary to prevent the tapered brass case swaging the boolit?
Also: Something that's really been bugging me: how many lead rounds should I shoot before i can notice early leading? (check every 15 rounds, or every 30?)
Can I just use jacketed projectiles to clean up light leading from the bore, like in non polygonal rifling?
I do this with my 686 with good results, but I'm unsure of the glock barrel..

Sorry for all the questions, been reloading 2 yrs now, but I just got into casting and I'm the new guy

KYShooter73
09-15-2013, 07:52 PM
Make sure and chamber test those rounds. If that is the round nose mold you have, depending on the throat of her weapon, you may have to seat them deep deep.

Boolseye
09-15-2013, 09:00 PM
I have a write-up I did based on my 2 years or so of testing and experimenting with the Lee TL356-124TC.
I did solve the keyholing problems, and was happy with the bullet by the end of it. I did sell the mold anyway.
My point here is that I'm happy to share my write-up with anyone who works with this bullet. PM me if you like.
BE

Bzcraig
09-15-2013, 11:25 PM
A lot of people have trouble with cast in a 9mm. Especially people that have never shot cast in a pistol. You might want to read everything you can about it first.
The search feature for Cast Boolits does not work well but here is a custom Googler search.
https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=001951264366462437169:ggn3vg-bjum

From what I have read here most have trouble with too small a boolit and/or lube that is not up to the task.
Good luck.
Jay

Sound advice indeed. I heeded this and read all I could before I even bought a mold. Because of all the wisdom on this site, I never experienced a lick of trouble shooting cast in all three of my 9's. the biggest factors are: slug your barrel, make sure you don't seat and crimp at the same time, load a dummy, pull the boolit and check its size. TL works fine on TL or lube groove boolits. I load and shoot the same boolit with good results. I can't help you with your available powders as my pet load uses Acc#2 though I have had good results with W231 & HP38.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-16-2013, 10:21 AM
I offer one hint, that I originally had an issue with.

some 9mm guns have barrels that are larger than .355
So, you'll want a larger/fatter boolit [I size them at .357].
when seating a fatter boolit, you'll need to expand and/or flare the case mouth more.
once the boolit is seated, you'll want to use the crimp die to 'unflare' the case mouth, BUT KEEP IN MINE THAT THE 9mm HEADSPACES OFF THE CASE MOUTH,
so you need to watch your crimp/unflare step, so you don't crimp/roll that casemouth hard enough so your loaded round doesn't chamber too deep.
good luck,
Jon