PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Slug Basics

Dixie Slugs
10-25-2007, 10:20 AM
There seems to be a growing interest in slug shooting in shotguns....not only in Shotgun-Only states, but also in All-Gun-States.
There are plenty of forums that discuss sabot type ammo for hunters trying to extend their range.....so I wil not address that subject.
Other than sabot rounds we have:
(1) Hollow base slugs...soft swaged Foster type....for smoothbore barrels.
(2) Various slug to be used in shotshell wads....like Lee, Lyman, and others....in smoothbore barrels.
(3) Various round ball loads
(4) Full bore slug/bullets to be used in rifled shotgun barrels.
Items #1,#2,#3 are more or less discussed here in detail.
When dealing with smootbores we are faced with a slug design from the factories that can be used in all types of chokes....only a compromise at best. They tend to lead the barrels bad and have inconsistant accuracy.
There are custom cylinder barrels that shoot a full size hard cast round ball very good....a copy of the early British round ball guns.
There are also custiom cylinder barrels designed to shoot full size hard cast hollow base slugs also.....and they do well.
There is a growing market for full size hard cast heat treated slug/bullet ammo designed for fully rifled barrels for use against dangerous/large game in heavy cover within reasonable ranges. These loads duplicate the early Brit loads used in Africa/India.
Today it is very hard to find a mold maker that will lathe cut a 730" mold! Note, I said .730" diameter, which is ideal for today's rifled barrels (.727" groove-.717" land - will give the ideal .003" compression in the grooves).
Many of the molds based on the Paradox design or over size, as well as their hollow base molds.
If one is looking for cheap ammo....stay with Lee, etc. And.....Lee Key Slug is not bad when matched with a Federal 12S3 wad (20 ga card under the slug inside the wad). These slugs can be cast from wheelweight and penetrate well.
Bottom line is you get the quality you pay for.
Regards, James

Blammer
10-25-2007, 02:16 PM
NEI will cut it, and they actually have a few styles in stock you can order from.

What would be nice is if some company would sell just the slugs, for 12 and 20 ga.

45 2.1
10-25-2007, 02:47 PM
Today it is very hard to find a mold maker that will lathe cut a 730" mold! Note, I said .730" diameter, which is ideal for today's rifled barrels (.727" groove-.717" land - will give the ideal .003" compression in the grooves).
Many of the molds based on the Paradox design or over size, as well as their hollow base molds.

Ya mean something like this?

Blammer
10-25-2007, 03:37 PM
hey 45 2.1 got any in 20ga?

Dixie Slugs
10-25-2007, 04:25 PM
The slugs in the thumbnails look very good. If fact one looks a great deal like our Terminator. What is the weight and diameter? Did you cut the molds?
NEI does not lathe cut molds and many of the hollow base designs are too large.
There are ammo makers that would sell hard cast heat treated slugs, but most people what something cheaper.
Regards, James

Blammer
10-25-2007, 05:12 PM
well if how they cut the mould is important to you, I suppose they don't lathe cut them.

yea but you forget, this is a cast bullet site. I'd say 99 percent of us cast our own and can adequately heat treat as desired.

Dixie Slugs
10-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Seems to me that a couple of posts ago, you did mention it would be nice if a company did sell slugs?
Regards, James

Blammer
10-25-2007, 08:00 PM
yes. I suppose I'm the 1 percent.

and I haven't found anybody yet.

45 2.1
10-26-2007, 06:43 AM
The slugs in the thumbnails look very good. If fact one looks a great deal like our Terminator. The guy who cut it has talked to you. What is the weight and diameter? I haven't cast it yet, just got it and its on loan, but he lists the diameter as 0.732 and the weight at 600, those figures yet to be verified. Did you cut the molds? Buddy cut it with cherry.
Regards, James

hey 45 2.1 got any in 20ga? That is a future project.